How to fix my Nolan N100E - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

How to fix my Nolan N100E

I have a Nolan N100E helmet that I really like. It is wired with the communications stuff. The problem I am having is with the flip up visor. When I am riding in slow moving situations I like to open the visor to get air. Not the entire face shield, just the visor. Lately I have noticed that it won't stay up...it just flops down. I don't see any broken or missing teeth where it connects. I have tried tightening the connection plate. I've looked at replacement parts but I don't really know what is necessary or what they are called. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 7:40 am

Re: How to fix my Nolan N100E

Not sure what model that is, but I had a similar problem with the first 3/4 face Nolan I bought. I rode about 5 miles, and the visor would not stay open. I immediately called the dealer I bought it from, and requested the helmet be exchanged. They did that, and I then bought the 102C. Only regret is I should have bought the Nolan with the longer jaw section (an additional $100 or so), which I did not know they made. It is a tight fit with my com system. Otherwise, a great helmet.

The visors will not stay up due to the wind buffeting. Nothing you can do about it.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:55 am

Ray,

I had the same thing happen to me on My N100E. The problem is simply, there are little dimples in the ends of the shield arms and they get caught by a little spring loaded cog. My cog had broken. Well, it took 4 years, so no complaints.

I was up at the BMW RA Rally a few weeks ago, so I tracked down a vendor.

MotoGearOutlet in Arveda, CO. 303-456-4757

On the spot they replaced my broken parts with a VPS Kit...$10.95. This also allows for a tinted sunshade to be installed over the clear visor.

I'd call these guys and see what they say. The fix was quick but very fiddlely. I'm glad they did it for me.

You might be able to find a local that has the part. The visor once again stays where ever I put it!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Exactly what "Averill" said. You need to lube with WD-40 or 3 & 1 oil each of those little "plungers". Inside each is a spring and the lube makes it function as such! The little "white head" has popped out of the indenture and no longer indexes your visor. One to lube on the left and one to lube on the right side of the Nolan. You can set that visor at its former indexes and it will stay put and any speed. You pull the first Nolan part (shaped like a puzzle piece) off by some finger nail effort from its "aft end". Do both sides and the next piece is self evident........... do both sides and you'll see what Averill has posted. The plungers are not large........maybe 1.5 mm Dia. and 13 or 14 mm long. You'll have a "new helmet" for 10 minutes work and then do this every year or so. You will be amazed how nice it is have your visor back!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I'm going to work on it today.

Ray

2012 R1200GS - Rallye
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

IT WORKED!!!! Thank you very much. I'm not sure I identified the plungers, etc., but I removed the cover piece and WD-40'd everything in there. It found the right place. Thanks.

2012 R1200GS - Rallye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in