Riding Gear Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Riding Gear Help

I live in Seattle and am looking for some as close to all season riding gear I can find. I have narrowed my choices down to Aerostich Darien jacket and pants or BMW Santiago jacket and pants. I have one primary concern about each. I think the Darien jacket collar may be too high for my liking and will irritate/annoy me. On the BMW I am concerned about having to use the gortex liner. It seems like seems like a pain to have to stop and put it in.

Any thoughts/feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Re: Riding Gear Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkolivers
I live in Seattle and am looking for some as close to all season riding gear I can find. I have narrowed my choices down to Aerostich Darien jacket and pants or BMW Santiago jacket and pants. I have one primary concern about each. I think the Darien jacket collar may be too high for my liking and will irritate/annoy me. On the BMW I am concerned about having to use the gortex liner. It seems like seems like a pain to have to stop and put it in.

I have heard that Motoport as been known to make their liners large enough to go over the outer jacket. Besides that, IMHO it is the best riding gear you can get. I bought their Air Mesh and use it year round.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:38 pm

The DW and I are both wearing the BMW Streetguard II jacket and pants. I've had it on in up to 90 and down to 60 comfortably without the winter liner. The gortex liner is permanently affixed for waterproofing. Great gear as far as we are concerned. Just my $.02.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:22 am

Dennis

If you are buying a new Darien jacket then I am sure they can alter the collar for you.

I have an older Santiago Jacket and I am very happy with it. The outer shell is shower proof and that could be increased by applying NikiWax or other sealant. There are plenty of vents to let the air through (and some water) so it is not a very warm jacket on its own. With the liner in it is warm and dry. In sunny Scotland the liner is need in early spring and late Autumn when you would expect rain and if there are summer showers they are often short and light.

A friend of mine has an old BMW Kilamanjaro jacket that is his favourite jacket and he managed to by a new liner after 10 years so it is waterproof again.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:56 am

If you haven't already, do investigate the Olympia gear. While it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles of the higher-end gear (Aerostitch and BMW), it is quite cheaper and comes with the same protection.

I've had the AST jacket (think Darien) for about a year and it has done everything it needed to, at a cheaper price. There are some changes I would like to see for it to really become a great jacket, but it is solid.

I too hate the idea of adding a liner for waterproofing, which does limit your choices.

My $0.02,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkolivers
I live in Seattle and am looking for some as close to all season riding gear I can find.

You might want to check out the BMW Comfort Shell set. It's pricey, for sure, but so far it's been delivering on all the promises. I've had it for about a month and a half and have been in temperatures as low as 50 degrees and as high as 97 degrees wearing only a polypro T-shirt and underwear underneath. Around here going from the valley over the hills to the coast can give you a 30 degree temperature change in half an hour... so it's really nice to have a suit that works for a broad temperature range. It's really impressive for a full textile suit with armor.

Above 90 it does get warm, and you'll definitely want to open the vents and unzip the neck a bit.

Below 55 my arms get a bit chilly, and I'd consider maybe a long sleeve shirt or thin fleece underneath for a long ride. With an electric vest and long sleeves I think it'd be good below freezing.

I can vouch that its totally waterproof too. I went out in a thunderstorm to check it out. Nice closures at the cuffs and neck.

My only complaint is the lack of pockets. Just two hip pockets that are impossible to get into while seated, two smallish outside jacket pockets, and one inside jacket pocket. I started using a small tank bag on long rides instead.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the BMW Comfort Shell suit. My SO and I both have them and love them for Pacific Northwest riding. We also added the Schoeller phase change shirts underneath, which makes the jacket very comfortable from 50 degrees to around 80 degrees (typical NW summer weather). Under 50 degrees, we have Gerbings heated jackets. I've ridden in under 20 degree weather and stayed very comfortable with just the Comfort shell, the Gerbings and a long sleeve polypro T-shirt. The jacket is also a phase change type of material, which becomes more breathable as the temp rises. We have ridden in all-day down pours and stayed totally dry. It's nice to have a suit that doesn't require a separate liner to be waterproof.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in