Looking for Summer Gloves Recommendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Looking for Summer Gloves Recommendation

After tires and oil, gloves are a popular thread topic. I'll add to the fray with this question:

What gloves do you recommend for summer riding? My criteria include:
1. Comfortable in hot weather. This could be done with breathable fabric, mesh, or something else.
2. Do not bleed black dye on my hands when they get wet. My Olympia gloves, after 2 summers, still bleed massive amounts of black dye on my hands every time they get soaked. These gloves have a fabric back and a leather palm; the black-dyed leather makes my hands look like I just bathed in oil and it takes 2 days to wear off. Looks great at the office.
3. Optionally, armor on the knuckles or elsewhere would be nice.

I appreciate any recommendations you have.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:05 am

Re: Looking for Summer Gloves Recommendation

Howard, check these out http://www.olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.htmlLook under cruiser, I wear the 150 airflo model, nice gloves for most seasons, but they have a nice selection to chose from.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

Last edited by patroa1; Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:17 am.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:12 am

I just got some of these a few weeks ago. Have not gotten wet from rain yet. However I have not seen any sign of dye on my hands in normal wear.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=1239&id=5801

Gregg
Vancouver, WA
'08 BMW K 1200 KT
'04 Triumph Speed Triple

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:18 am

Howard,

I use 2 sets. Tourmaster Airflow are cheap, super comfortable, and dry fairly quickly when wet. However, if armor protection is your preference, the Airflows have none. They do have some double layers and padding in impact areas. No black hands at all.

My favorite armored glove is the from Rev-it. I do not know the model name but they are mesh with armor knuckles and leather palms. I have not had these soaking wet to know if they will blacken the hands. In mildly wet weather I have had no dye bleed.

Good Luck

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Howard, check these out http://www.olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.htmlLook under cruiser, I wear the 150 airflo model, nice gloves for most seasons, but they have a nice selection to chose from.
Thanks Pat. My gloves are #711, on the "Sport" page. I'm wondering if Olympia doesn't use the same leather and dye on all their gloves, and if you have seen this problem with yours?

Their gloves fit me perfectly so I'd like to get more of them when needed. Maybe there is something the gloves could be washed in that would set the dye?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Howard,

I use 2 sets. Tourmaster Airflow are cheap, super comfortable, and dry fairly quickly when wet. However, if armor protection is your preference, the Airflows have none. They do have some double layers and padding in impact areas. No black hands at all.

My favorite armored glove is the from Rev-it. I do not know the model name but they are mesh with armor knuckles and leather palms. I have not had these soaking wet to know if they will blacken the hands. In mildly wet weather I have had no dye bleed.

Good Luck
Thanks John. I'll check out the Tourmasters.

My previous summer gloves were Rev-it; they are as you describe, and I liked them very much. They were twice as much as the Olympia 711s I have now, but they never bled on me even when soaking wet.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 1:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,
For summer riding on both bikes I have dedicated pairs of TourMaster Gel Cruisers

They have leather on top and bottom of the fingers but mesh on sides. They are cool riding with airflow.

For rainy weather I just got a pair of Cortech GX-WP (Water Proof)
Click Here!

I've tried them out with a new set of Frog Togs and they do not bleed and keep my hands dry!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 11 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Thumbs up Take a look at Road Gear Carbon Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What gloves do you recommend for summer riding? My criteria include:
1. Comfortable in hot weather. This could be done with breathable fabric, mesh, or something else.
2. Do not bleed black dye on my hands when they get wet. I have not soaked these yet. No black from slight sweeting!!
3. Optionally, armor on the knuckles or elsewhere would be nice.

I appreciate any recommendations you have.
At the WI BMW MOA, last summer, my wife and I picked up a new summer glove, from Road Gear. It is called the "Carbon Max" Cost $67. We both still love them, even after riding thru all the heat to CCR in MO.

Our own "Nick Plenzick Enterprises" is a distributor for Road Gear. He had them in stock at Americade this June. Here is the Road Gear link to check them out.
http://www.roadgear.com/index.php?page=Product&id=57

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:35 am

Howard, If you want black that doesn't bleed, then you need to back to the Rev'It line and look at the Monster glove. Perforated leather, armored knuckles and extra protection on the back of the fingers. webBikeWorld article here. The whole line seems to fit my hands better than any other manufacturer.

This is my second pair. The last pair was destroyed in last year's get off on the way home from CCR. I believe in these gloves. The bad thing is, these gloves don't fit everyone, but that's the same with all manufacturers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:44 am.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:47 am

Re: Take a look at Road Gear Carbon Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
At the WI BMW MOA, last summer, my wife and I picked up a new summer glove, from Road Gear. It is called the "Carbon Max" Cost $67. We both still love them, even after riding thru all the heat to CCR in MO.

Our own "Nick Plenzick Enterprises" is a distributor for Road Gear. He had them in stock at Americade this June. Here is the Road Gear link to check them out.
http://www.roadgear.com/index.php?page=Product&id=57
Thanks for the recomendation!

The Carbon Max is also known as the TDF glove. It's been a big seller, I just took a pair of these for myself about two months ago and I'm surprised how comfy they are. I've been riding with our XKJ glove for the past three years, made from leather and some Cordura.....still going strong.
All of our gloves have a two year warranty and none will turn your hands black even when wet.
Check us out in WY if your going to the MOA.......we leave for it tomorrow.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:31 pm
Gold Supporter

If you want to keep the black gloves you have and just don't like the "Black Bleed" drop them in a bowl of heavy salt water, or add about a half cup of white vinegar to a large bowl of water and let them set in either overnight. After they dry they won't bleed anymore. The salt or vinegar sets the dye into the fabric. I usually had to do my H-D gloves both ways when they were new to keep them from bleeding all over my hands, but it works. Course you may have a craving for a pickle while riding, but that's not too bad.

My wife washes all my new black T-shirts in a solution of one cup of vinegar to the washing machine and that keeps them black.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in