HJC Symax vs CL-Max - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

HJC Symax vs CL-Max

My Symax is now 4 years old or so, and needs to be replaced. I've been reasonably happy with it. The hinges have broken, and AFAIK, are not available to replace. Reading reports on various flip-type helmets, the Symax seems to get a reasoanble review, especially for the price. Best price seems to be about $200. Anyone seen them cheaper?

I see HJC now has a less expensive flip-type, called the CL-Max. Anyone have any experiences with that model? There doesn't seem to be much of any way to compare them on HJC's web site. There aren't any local dealers where I can play with one.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 4:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Best price seems to be about $200. Anyone seen them cheaper?
Don,
Visit Powersports-Closeouts on Ebay ( http://stores.ebay.com/Powersport-Closeouts ). I believe they are selling the Symax for $150-$160. I've bought two helmets off these guys. Good professional service and product.

Ditto on the HJC Symax, IMO it is the best flip-up for the money.

If you are looking for an XL Symax in Black, let me know. I have one "like new" (worn twice) with one barely noticeable mark. You can have for $100 shipped to the lower 48. I can send pics.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:27 am

Don,

Southern Tier Honda in Montour Falls carries the CL-Max and of course Bobs Honda in Sayre has the Sy-Max, but I cannot remember if they have the CL-Max also.

You can pick up via Ebay as stated above from that seller or powerdrom another seller that is a few bucks cheaper. I intend to order a set for the wife and myself soon.

I think the main difference between the two is the helmet material. One is injection molded thermoplastic (CL-Max) and the other Fiberglass shell with ABS/Poly carb chin (Sy-Max).

I think the Sy-Max is supposed to have better air flow ventilation as well.

They both weigh about 3.6 lbs.

Good luck on your search. I think I have decided on going with the Sy-max as the ventilation should be nice in the warmer weather.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

In my experience, the ventilation on the SyMax is pretty poor, so if the CL-Max is even less, that's a problem.... Of course, my old SyMax is black in color, so that could have something to do with why its so hot.

We plan to get our new helmets in white color. We've noticed that riders in white helmets are much more visible to cages.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 6:47 am

Don,

I don't have the Sy-max to know if the air flow is better, but it looked to me like there was more vent area than on the CL-Max and they mention it in some of the research I was doing.

I intend to get Silver as it should be cooler as well and still have decent visibility and I like the looks of Silver.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 7:26 am

Silver looks good on CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
I intend to get Silver as it should be cooler as well and still have decent visibility and I like the looks of Silver.
I like you thinking. Besides, silver looks good on Canyon Red. AMHIK

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in