Helmet Assisatance Please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Helmet Assisatance Please

I am looking to replace my helmet, and need some advice on which to get. Both my wife and I ride, and have the full communication system on the LT. Any suggestions on a good set of helmets for us, to install our comm system in? Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Re: Helmet Assisatance Please

Nolan 102 NCOM

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The KBC TK8 has nice cut outs where the ear speakers go making installation pretty easy.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 9:25 pm

We are using the Nolon 102s with the J&M 584 headsets. The headsets work real nice, get great sound from the sound system going through my Baehr. Not perfect, the Nolon 102s have wind noise, but I like the sun visor and the flip up feature and they fit us very well.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Ditto on the Nolan.........

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 6:55 am

Re: Helmet Assistance Please

I've got the Nolan 102 and really like all of it's features and fit. Unless there was something better, My replacement will be the same. Large fits me like a glove. As many will tell you though, fit is critical and only you can make that decision. Installation of speakers in the Nolan was a breeze and I really like the flip feature. I really don't use the sun shade that much and would not make the decision for that one feature.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:21 am

Both karen and I have Nolan helmets and love 'em.
BUT............................................
All heads (like all butts ) are different and must be tried on.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Both karen and I have Nolan helmets and love 'em.
BUT............................................
All heads (like all butts ) are different and must be tried on.
Agreed - on butt heads!!!

Sorry!

I just purchased a Vemar flip helmet from MotoLiberty here in South Central Tejas. Fit is good. Speaker cavity is good. Chin bar latching is good and solid. Chin bar release is 'inside' the bar, at the center. Ventilation - ?, haven't yet tried it out at speed in the Tejas heat. Inner sunshade visor is terrific - stays in whatever position you leave it, in the range 'tween full up or full down. Leetle pricey - 275 bones. YMMV.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Vemar helmet is manufactured in Italy. And has a clone to the chin strap connection ala Nolan. (I'm D-ring challenged).

Last edited by Dick; Jun 16th, 2008 at 8:52 am.
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:54 pm

If your head is more oval shaped then round the Shoei Multitec is a good choice. It's the only flip face helmet that fits my egg shaped noggin.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Re: Helmet Assistance Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I've got the Nolan 102 and really like all of it's features and fit. Unless there was something better, My replacement will be the same. Large fits me like a glove. As many will tell you though, fit is critical and only you can make that decision. Installation of speakers in the Nolan was a breeze and I really like the flip feature. I really don't use the sun shade that much and would not make the decision for that one feature.
I'm glad you mentioned that. If I purchase the Nolan N102, will my current helmet comm system fit inside, or will a new on be needed?

Milton
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 3:51 pm

What comm system do you have now? Chances are you can move it between helmets fairly easily.

Ditto on the try before you buy. Especially with helmets.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Arai is a great helmet for protection, but maybe Nolan is the best for installing communications stuff in.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #13 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:00 am

When it was time to purchase new helmets last winter, I went with the Nolan N102 NCom. I have the J&M 584 headsets and they work great. The NCom has a great approach to adding communicaitons, be it wired or bluetooth (but I am not sure Nav III has bluetooth down yet. )

BUT: While I like everything the NCom system, I had to rebuy most of the J&M headsets to use the NCom cutout. It looks great. It works great. The mike - headset - everything works better than the older version did in my HJC Symax helmet, but it cost dearly to replace the J&M stuff. Only the BMW driver and J&M passenger cords to connect the BMW were reusable.

As was said by others, every head shape is different, and so you must try them on, somewhere. Trade shows and meets are great places to sample them. One company that really got the head shape message is Arai. The Arai Profile, Vector and Quarntum 2 are for the long oval, intermediate oval and round oval, which is their take on common shape differences. Arai also sells a photosensitive shield that ints from clear to green to dark cobalt in the sun, and back to clear at night.

And as if that was not confusing enough, you have it harder than I did when I settled on the Nolan N102's. HJC's Symax II is out new for 2008 with the internal sunshade like traditional flight helmets have. One benefit a buddy of mine told me about over the Nolan external shade (besides the "coolness" factor) is that on warm days you can ride with the faceplate full open and still have the sunshade down as eye protection. Not the only thing, but something worth factoring in.

For both the Nolan external shade and the HJC internal shade, you will find that the shade takes a log of glare and brightnes off the road, but your view of the dash and your GPS screen is far better without sunglasses cutting down the contrast. Headed west in the afternoon, you still will probably need sunglasses, as neither shade is really that dark or low enough to cover the setting sun, but they give you choices.

Shoei is still both the lightest and the most expensive, but my rather oversized bonehead just never seems to fit the Shoei molds. But they make a fine helmet.

Vendors will be at the BMWMOA rally and probably the CCR too, if you can wait that long. Some larger dealers have good selections too.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 7:00 am

I just purchased a N102 last week & I reckon it is a good buy.
I do like the idea of the MP3, bluetooth setup & bike 2 bike comms.

The only think is the noise factor near the ears on helment, but have heard that it can be rectified.
Which I am still trying to find out, but if anybody out there knows?
Please reply.

While riding though I have notice if you put your hand over the VPS external sliders it cuts out the noise all together, so again if anyone knows how to do this permanently?
I would be good to hear from you.

Regards,

Dave
R1150RS
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I just purchased a new helmet yesterday, in fact. I bought the Arai. I don't have the intercom system installed yet but the dealer tells me it installs in the Arai quite well. That's one man's opinion. From reading the thread it looks like I should have done a bit of research on this site before pulling the trigger. I am purchasing the bike this week and really needed the helmet.
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wear an Arai Quantum because, so far, it's the most comfortable melon basket I've found. I like the idea of the flip up, but until I put one on and it feels right, I'll stick with what works.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZ
I just purchased a new helmet yesterday, in fact. I bought the Arai. I don't have the intercom system installed yet but the dealer tells me it installs in the Arai quite well. That's one man's opinion. From reading the thread it looks like I should have done a bit of research on this site before pulling the trigger. I am purchasing the bike this week and really needed the helmet.

Jim,

I can show you the Arai with the intercom installed. I got my gear at Adventure BMW in Chesapeake also.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in