Frogg Toggs Raingear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Question Frogg Toggs Raingear

Has anybody had any experience with Frogg Togg rainwear and where is best place to get it?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:17 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Bruce:

They work good. You can get them at www.frogtoggs.com or check out the back pages of motorcycle magazines. There are a few vendors.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 9:06 am

Thumbs up

They're worht the money IMHO... They can double as an additioanl 'wind break' layer when it isn't raining.

I got mine here about 18 months ago -- http://store.basstackle.com/frogtograin.html -- at the time they had the best price I could find....

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 9:08 am

Frogg toggs

If you're looking for a cheap and lightweight rainsuit that breathes (very important in Florida)
Frogg Toggs work well.
The bag that they come in (same material) will actually hold water.
Even during a gully washer you'll stay dry unless water gets in around your neck.
They weigh less than a loaf of white bread and take up less space.

However they are not very durable, not much stronger than heavy paper,
they'll melt if you touch your mufflers, tear if you pull too hard.

With that said, I keep a set in my saddlebags at all times.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 9:52 am

Hey, Bruce - keep an eye out for sales on Frogg Toggs at your local Academy store (if you have one). And as a thought - I buy one size up from what I would normally wear, to allow for bulkage of underlayer riding gear. Frogg Toggs also work pretty good as a windbreak. I got caught out with only a JR mesh jacket and the temps had dropped into the high 40s/low 50s - just a leetle cool at 5-over. Donned the F.T. jacket under the mesh and wuz nice and toasty.

Anyway - I'm sure you're gonna like 'em. Just knowing they're on the bike someplace, not taking up too much space; and available for those sudden downpours keeps 'em a permanent part of Toad's luggage cases.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 10:04 am

Wet Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Has anybody had any experience with Frogg Togg rainwear and where is best place to get it?
They have worked reasonably well for us here in the southeast's hotter weather. Light weight, cool and comfortable.
However I have found the pants will leak thru the seat when riding for extended wet periods (read hours). Water tends to pool up in the seats and migrate thru the breathable material and eventually lead to a wet butts. I remedied this condition by using a beaded seats.
They, for me and my passenger, are only a summertime option as beaded seats use will negate the seat heater(s) and back rest.

Mike
IBA #433

Last edited by mjac; Dec 25th, 2005 at 10:05 am. Reason: lousy spelling
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:01 pm

tropical storm

for fun, i went riding in a tropical storm that came through savannah this fall. even though they are one size smaller than i need, i didn't get very wet only a little around the neck, the sleeves, and around my boot tops. it was raining cats and dogs, and the wind was blowing pretty hard, with lots of water on the road. i bought my fiancee a pair for christmas. i got them at bass pro. this pair didn't come with the bag. so i got a six liter mesh stuff sack. the sack is the perfect size and allows the togs to dry in the bag better than the one that came with my suit. i replaced mine with a mesh sack is the reason i know. throw a terry cloth towel in the bag to wrap around your neck. it will help keep you dry. oh, bass pro had several different models. i bought her the one with the zipper and the snaps: it's the same as mine and is what she bought me from a bike shop a little over a year ago. the one with the zipper and velcro didn't seem like it would work as good. i think i'd end up tearing the suit. omurphy
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 3:49 pm

What else can you do with FroggToggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omurphy
throw a terry cloth towel in the bag to wrap around your neck. it will help keep you dry.
Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks omurphy

Last summer my wife and I visited my brother in Michigan and while out on a day trip the temperature went from 85 to 60 in a matter of an hour or so.
That might not seem like cold to you but it's winter weather for Floridians.
We had our jackets but no liners or vests, we put our FroggToggs on under our jackets and over our jeans and rode the next hundred + miles a lot more comfortable.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 4:01 pm

As per Dick:
>>I buy one size up from what I would normally wear, to allow for bulkage of underlayer riding gear.<<

So if I wear XL riding jacket ( complete with the standard crash pads) does that mean I should order the XXL Frog togs?

Thanks,
Ramon
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Yup!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 9:49 pm

Smile

I bought a set of jacket and pants this past spring. Wore them on one trip through Vermont where it rained for a solid day. I was kept dry, but I usually am with my regular jacket, but maybe not for an entire day. However, the seams, because they are "welded" are prone to pop/split if puunder pressure. That is exactly what happened when one side of the pant got folded under and stretched when getting on the bike.

Haven't worn them since. Can't repair them.
But they did a great job while they lasted. ( 1 day)
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your input. I ordered myself a set tonight.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in