Gerbing's "Ultimate" Suit -- FYI - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Gerbing's "Ultimate" Suit -- FYI

I recently started a thread about heated clothing and armor. One of the respondents mentioned a two-piece suit that Gerbing used to make, called "Ultimate", but he didn't think this product was still available. I haven't seen it anywhere, and it's not mentioned on their web site.

I picked up a Gerbing catalog at the only location in Columbus, OH that sells Gerbing products (a Harley dealership). The catalog shows the Ultimate suit (jacket and pants) is still available. It is two-piece, comes in several colors, is water-resistant, is heated and armored (unlike their heated Union Ridge jacket and pants), and each suit is made to your measurements. Available in 200 or 500 denier Cordura.

Contact Gerbing if you're interested. I'm curious what the price is, because this may be the answer I was looking for: one suit for all year, armored, removable heated liner, zippered vents. The knees are armored; while the pants are heated, it doesn't say if the pants have a removable heated liner.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:46 am

Gerbing's "Ultimate" Suit -- FYI

With respect to price, I'm guessing considerable. I saw a female suit sell for nearly $500 on ebay recently and it was used. I'm happy with my Widder gear, but I do acknowledge that pants and jacket suit would probably be more convenient than vest and chaps under outer gear.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:56 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Thumbs up Ultimate Gerbings - @ motorcycle show

I spoke with Gerbing representatives at the Long Beach, CA m/c show. They told me that the Ultimate suit is just being introduced. It is so new that their catalog wasn't updated with the Ultimate line.

It is very nice stuff, pricey. But, if you're in the market for a complete suit including armor this is it. I don't believe the liner is removable.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:40 am

Thumbs up Stich

Why not buy aerostich. Very available. Removable liners that can be purchased with different thickness and a heated vest or full liner. All the armour you will ever need. Made to order or off the rack. In 500 denier or in a lighter version. Pockets everywhere with vents. Totally waterproof. Just my three cents. At the same price range. I love my Stich. Check with aerostich online. They are in Duluth if you are in that area.
Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 12:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
I spoke with Gerbing representatives at the Long Beach, CA m/c show. They told me that the Ultimate suit is just being introduced. It is so new that their catalog wasn't updated with the Ultimate line.

It is very nice stuff, pricey. But, if you're in the market for a complete suit including armor this is it. I don't believe the liner is removable.

Tom
The Gerbing brochure says the jacket liner is removable, just don't know about the pants.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 12:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Why not buy aerostich. Very available. Removable liners that can be purchased with different thickness and a heated vest or full liner. All the armour you will ever need. Made to order or off the rack. In 500 denier or in a lighter version. Pockets everywhere with vents. Totally waterproof. Just my three cents. At the same price range. I love my Stich. Check with aerostich online. They are in Duluth if you are in that area.
Zeke
I'll check them out, as well as other threads on this site that discuss Aerostitch gear. I know they exist, I've seen them before. Thanks.

It would be nice if there was a store/distributor where you could actually try these things on.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Gerbing outer wear

I am not familiar with the Ultimate outfit. I do have a couple of sets of Gerbing liners, jacket, pants, gloves, and socks, and she has Gerbing pants to go over the Gerbing pant liner. Nice enough, but I'll take my Aerostitch Darien pants over the Gerbing pants. I really like the Gerbing heated stuff and I sing their praises, but when it comes to outer wear, from what I have seen, Aerostitch does outer wear better, Gerbings do the liners better. Just my overstated opinion
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 8:39 pm

Ultimate suit

I bought Gerbing's Ultimate Suit with the quilted liners, 600 denier outer shell , gloves & socks 4 years ago & it ran me around $1k. I also had the suit wired so the hands are on a separate heat control from the rest of the suit, something you can have done when you order it. I looked @ the "Stich" stuff & decided on Gerbings stuff because I was looking for the best in providing HEAT. After 4 years my observations are:
1-It performs superbly in cold weather as long as you seal out ALL of the drafts.I have no problems riding in the mid-teens as I did this past week. Also, the jacket has to fit a little snug so the liner's in contact with you.
2-The liners come out of both the pants & jacket in seconds if you don't bother with the loops @ the ends of the sleeves. I frequently do this since since it can be cold in the am & moderate on the way home during the spring & fall.
3-Yes, the jacket has vents, BUT not enough! That fuc*er's hot (esp on a LT) on a hot humid day. I use a mesh jacket & draggin jeans in warm weather.
4-The armor (?) is disappointing, just some padding @ the shoulders, elbows & knees & nothing in the back. I keeping intending to see if I can insert some CE stuff into the padded areas.
5-The pants are ugly, in my opinion, & have NO pockets @ all, but are warm.
6-Speaking of pockets, all of the pockets are flat against the jacket. They are NOT of the cargo type & so can be a pain to retrieve something with gloves on.
7-Water resistant yes, if you spray it occasionaly. I still put on a rain jacket if it looks like anything more than a drizzel.
Conclusion: If your looking for the most in providing HEAT it'll do the job nicely, BUT it's NOT a 4 season jacket. If you're concerned about armor, it's lacking in that department. It is bulky , but what isn't going to be in order to stay warm. .
The people @ Gerbings were GREAT! I had to send the jacket back for some alterations (my fault) & they were done quickly & returned promptly.
Hope this helps.
Chris
'99 LTC Basalt with 115k on the clock & still pulls like a train.
'03 Unigo aka R2
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:42 pm

I have been on the fence for awhile about buying a Aerostich Darien suit. I think it would fill the bill much better that the Ultimate. The Darien does not have the nylon liner that theit Roadcrafter or Ultimate does so it works in much warmer temps. It is breathable and would solve the "on with the rainsuit off with the rainsuit" problem while traveling in the midwest. I think I would keep my Widder vest and chaps and buy a couple of different fleece jackets for layering. The Aerostich fleece pants look great for the cold. I am hoping that the Darien pants and jacket will work at enough temp variables to allow wearing just silk long underwear underneath while traveling in the Southwest. Silks wash out and dry in the sink. Saves trying to pack an extra three pair jeans to get you buy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in