Air Mesh Kevlar Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Question Air Mesh Kevlar Question

I just received my order from CyclePort, a pair of Air Mesh Kevlar Pants. The fit and finish is first rate and I think they will provide the best protection available. My only complaint is they are very stiff. For anyone out there with Air Mesh Kevlar, How long does it take to break in, if ever? Right now I feel like an armor coated Michelin Man.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:06 pm

Smile

When i got my draggin jeans/jacket there were a bit stiff too, just put them in the washing machine on their own on a normal wash,

or better yet, wear them and got for a few days ride!!
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:10 pm

Put them in the dryer for a couple of hours on NO heat, that will help allot..Regards Pete

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:17 pm

They will never be as comfortable/soft as the nylon (I have the air mesh kevlar jacket and pant and the 1000D Cordura pants fron Motoport) that's the nature of kevlar. The thing I found most annoying about Motoport clothing was the knee armor. It felt as if it was 2 dinner plates hinged in the middle, very uncomfortable. I replaced one with T-Pro Xtreme armor and the other with T-Pro multilayer, much more comfortable. Enjoy
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheg
...I have the air mesh kevlar jacket and pant and the 1000D Cordura pants fron Motoport...
I am considering upgrading my summer mesh gear. If you had to do it all over again, would you purchase the Motoport Air Mesh?

BMW has a new Venting Machine Suit that I am also considering. Any thoughts?

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Air Mesh

I briefly tried on the venting machine jacket, it looks good. The positives about the Air Mesh Kevlar for me were that it seems to provide the highest level of protection for a hot weather suit. I also think a hot weather suit should come in lighter colors (I have the light gray). My suit has held up well for the 2 years I've had it. All in all I would get it again, although if the venting machine came in a light color I would consider that as well. You would probably find the armor more comfortable in the BMW suit.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 5:44 pm

any winter rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I just received my order from CyclePort, a pair of Air Mesh Kevlar Pants.
I, too, am considering the Motoport suit. I just got back from visiting their shop in San Marcos. They had the people making the stuff right there. Wayne was helpful, providing gear to try on.

I'm looking for the 1 suit does it all. My concern about the Air Mesh is how it will prtoect from the cold in the winter. Do the linings keep you comfortable? Have you encountered any rain yet? I'm sure the liners keep you dry, but what's the jacket like when the mesh is all filled with water.

Just doing some wondering. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
I'm looking for the 1 suit does it all.
So am I. Haven't had much luck yet though. Good luck in your hunt.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:34 am Thread Starter

My plan is to use the Air Mesh year round. Cycle Portís web states the liners provide ďÖ-20F to 85FÖĒ. I donít really believe the -20F claim, but with the mild winter weíve had, the coldest Iíve have to ride in is around 18F and I was comfortable. I have found that unless it is below 35F I donít need them for my 12 mile ride to work. For long rides I would put them in if it was under 50F. I canít comment on their use in the rain, Iíve been lucky and seem to dodge the rain most of the time. Iíve only used them in the rain for short periods and they seem to work fine. The liners do make the setup more bulky, so they are relegated to an ďI really need to use themĒ status. I still carry Frog Togs as my primary rain protection if Iím not using the liners.

After almost 2 months the pants are feeling more comfortable and I am very happy with them. I plan to order my Air Mesh jacket by the end of the month. I anticipate Iíll use the liner in that a bit more than the pants liner.

In summing up:
I think they are a great product.
The liners are needed for warmth, but in summer I wonít use them for rain.
Expensive but worth it.
12+ weeks to build!!! A custom motorcycle doesnít take that long to build. I canít fathom why it takes them so long, but they tell you that up front and they are worth the wait.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in