BMW Comfort Shell experiences? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 30th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

BMW Comfort Shell experiences?

I'm shopping around for a new riding suit for my summer cross country ride. The BMW Comfort Shell has caught my eye. I tried one on today, and I found it to be fairly stiff right off the rack. The armor bits as well felt fairly hard, but the salesguy said it'd adapt some as it warmed up from body heat. (It's a cool day, 61 degrees outside, maybe 68 in the showroom.)

I really like the idea of a single suit for heat, cold, or rain. And it looks like it'll deliver, but of course they won't let me ride it before I buy it, and it's pretty hard to get an idea of how well the "air flow" thing works while standing in the showroom...

Has anyone had one of these for a while? How well does it break in? Does it breathe as advertised in the heat? How does it feel around the neck after it loosens up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 30th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Re: BMW Comfort Shell experiences?

Bob
s

Colyn bought a set and wrote a report heere
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=Comfort+Shell

Regard

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 11 Old May 30th, 2008, 10:47 pm

I'll put in a plug for the BMW "Air Flow 3" I have used it for a year now including two rides during the 98F hot weather to WI and MO. Below 75F I add a long sleeve shirt, below 68 I add Frog rain gear on the outside. Good luck with staying cool with the one suit does all. Also consider the First Gear TPG in your review. I looked that over last week, for the wife, but thought the armor was to thin, although the suit was fairly heavy, weight wise.

post #4 of 11 Old May 31st, 2008, 1:23 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Spend your money on an Aerostitch... you will be glad you did...
Works very well over 100 degrees and you don't need any ad-ons if it starts to rain or gets cool out... just close the vents

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old May 31st, 2008, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Well, it's too late now. I mentioned the possibility to my wife, who liked the idea and wanted to go back to Cal Moto last night to look at the suit. She approved, and I ended up plunking down the money. While they had my size (44L) in the jacket in stock, my wife spotted a discoloration in the fabric so they're ordering me a new one, it'll show up next week. I took the pants home, they're much more comforatable than my old Heine-Gericke riding pants, though I think I'll miss the thigh pockets.

As far as Aerostitch, I've come close to getting a set many times since I started riding... probably at least once a year. I always end up backing out, because I was happy enough with my other gear, or... I don't really know. They look like great suits, when I've seen people in them they've been happy and looked reasonable, but somehow they just weren't right for me.

The thing that tipped me over the edge for the Comfort Shell suit was the idea of a single suit for any conditions. I like to travel light and don't like to stop very much, so even having to stop to put in the liner of my current jacket is kind of a hassle. Around here there are plenty of times when I've gone from 80s in the lowlands to 60s in the mountains or along the coast and then back again an hour later, and I'm looking forward to having the self-adjusting gear.

With the bright blue jacket cut the way it is and the black pants I sort of feel like an extra on Star Trek: TNG. I can live with that.

Then I came home and ordered a Schuberth C2 from the UK and an Autocom setup. ...might as well get all the pain over with at the same time, right?
post #6 of 11 Old May 31st, 2008, 3:28 pm

Bob,

Keep us updated on your thoughts about the suit after you have used it for a while, although it would take a brave man to say he made a mistake !.
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been wearing the Comfort Shell suit for over a year now (bought one right after they came out). Here are my observations:

- It does soften up a bit after using it. I've also washed it once (armor is removable) which helped.

- The armor will become more comfortable as your body heats it up. The pants are particularly difficult to put on because of the way the knee armor is designed to wrap around the side of your knee (especially cold mornings inside a tent!) It helps if you lay them out flat rather than fold them up at night.

- The fabric is amazing. It opens up and breathes when it's hot, then closes up when the temp drops. I do wish the pants had thigh zippers as they can get a bit warm in 100 + degree temps.

- My SO also has a suit and it is definitely the "one suit" set for extended travel. Extremely waterproof (have ridden in day long downpours with no leakage). We also have the Phase Change jackets as a liner. This is a pretty amazing fabric, comfortable from around 50 degrees to around 80 degrees. It holds heat to your body when it's cold and draws heat from your body when it's hot. We also pack our Gerbings heated gear for below 50 degree days (typical in high elevation mornings).

- The suit is ridiculously expensive, but you do tend to forget that on extended tours where space on the bike is at a premium and the suit performs as promised.

Overall, we are very pleased with the performance and would definitely purchase them again.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Keep us updated on your thoughts about the suit after you have used it for a while.
The jacket arrived on Friday, and I got to do my first ride in the suit today: spent about 5 hours in temps from 83 to 92. I had a cotton polo shirt and boxers under it, not really touring gear but good enough for a short ride.

The suit definitely breathes when it's hot. The pants honestly weren't really that much cooler than my old pants, but they aren't fully waterproof nor as well armored. My legs were the hottest part, and it's kind of a shame that there's no vents there -- I may look into getting one added along with a thigh pocket. I really missed the thigh pockets from my old pants, keeping my wallet and cellphone in the hip pockets worked but wasn't as comfortable or accessible -- but again the old thigh pockets aren't fully waterproof either. The pants are comfortable on and off the bike though, I'll definitely be more likely to wear them than my old set which were getting a little tight in the waist.

The jacket was great. I left with all the vents closed, opened the front ones when it hit 90, and had to stop to open the back ones. (I'm just not that flexible...) Again, for full armor and waterproof gear in 92 degrees this was amazing, with my old touring jacket I'd have had the zipper open halfway and the back would be ballooning out with the breeze.

When I got out of the hottest part of the ride and back closer to the bay the temp dropped back down to 85 and that felt really great. The sweat that was soaking my shirt dried out nicely (it was a mistake to wear cotton... I know better) and I was pretty darn comfortable.

The armor definitely got a lot more comfortable after the first hour or so. I tried poking the knee pads towards then end and they had definitely softened up considerably from when they were cold. Also, for whatever reason I didn't have any issues with the neck with this jacket -- I think maybe the one I tried on had picked up the shape from the hanger or something.

It sure was expensive, but when I passed other riders in T-shirts and jeans I definitely felt better about the purchase.
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 4:48 pm

I love this suit and as I said in my post ... when you have it on you can feel that the suit was designed for the FALL ... makes me feel more comfortable.

I loathe these suits that require you to put in a liner for water proofing ... what is the point ... your whole heavy jacket is wet but your body is dry ... sort of silly if you are on a long tour and you hit rain by 16h00 and arrive at your destination with a heavy wet jacket and dry t-shirt.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyn
I love this suit and as I said in my post ... when you have it on you can feel that the suit was designed for the FALL ... makes me feel more comfortable.

I loathe these suits that require you to put in a liner for water proofing ... what is the point ... your whole heavy jacket is wet but your body is dry ... sort of silly if you are on a long tour and you hit rain by 16h00 and arrive at your destination with a heavy wet jacket and dry t-shirt.
Agree on the water-proof liners. The other issue is always watching the sky, trying to figure out if this is the time I should pull over and put in the lining. When I had jackets with liners, I was typically getting soaked as I made that decision...a bit too late.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:08 am

Are we talking non Gore-Tex here ?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in