..well, summer is back again, I need some advise for affordable Mesh gear

Tnx

Yair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Summer Gear any ideas

I have enjoyed my First Gear Mesh Tech jacket (135.00) and HT air over pants. Good prices from NewEnough.com, they have a great return policy to if you get the wrong size the first time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:33 pm

I just bought myself a set of Olympia Recon 2 gear (jacket and pants) and then turned right around and got one for the wife too. It fits better than the womens specific 3:1 model for her and is also lighter (no internal liners).

They cost about $330 ~ $350 a set. I've driven in high 90's out here in CA and when idle, it feels a bit stuffy but not hot. WHen moving you cool down really quick. At night, you better take a jacket or other clothes or you might freeze. It let's in a LOT of air, but still has excellent coverage. I tried it on, then bought it, form my local BMW dealer.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 29 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:40 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I use Olympia gear and like it.

This is almost as bad as an oil debate.

Many factual opinions on materials and you can not debate that.

I think it is acceptable risk, and if you are going to wear ATGATT, and of course your wallet.

I rode Harley for a lot of years "neked". No Helmet or gear, just goggles. Jeans, t-shirt, and always good boots.

Since on the BMW I have bought both Winter and Summer Olympia gear. I already had heated jacket liner, pants liner, and socks by Gerbing.

I always wear a helmet and Olympia Mesh Jacket, at least. If I am traveling I wear the Olympia Mesh pants also.

I could not find any one setup that I would wear all the time, so I assumed acceptable risk for the clothing I bought that I in fact do wear, knowing it was not the totally best material out there, but I wear it, it is functional, practical, and not bad looking to boot.

The best Kevlar suit in the world wont help hanging in your closet.

Do a search as there is a lot of information on this topic.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 29 Old May 17th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Gold Supporter

+1 for everything Lee just said.

I just went back to Harley and have gotten some strange looks when I pull in in ATGATT, but ask me if I G.A.F.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:53 pm

Olympia Gear, with liners removed in the summer works just fine. When the heat is really cooking, I use my Silver Eagle cooling vest.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 7:06 am

I picked up a Joe Rocket Alter Ego or Alter Ego 2.0 (???). Besides the fact it matches the color of my bike (blue, silver, black) it's quite ingenious. It's textile (for chillier days), but the arms zip off as does the entire front from the neckline (in front) all the way around the middle of the back- when zipped off it doesn't look weird- it looks great. Has sturdy zippers. And it also has a waterproof inner liner.

Highly recommended.

Here's a link: http://www.joerocket.com/productJR.cfm?products_id=1722

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC
post #8 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 7:25 am

Aside from all of the mesh gear (which is probably all about the same, still HOT) but better than clothing that is closed like leather or material that doesn't allow the wind to circulate, I find that the best thing for me to stay relatively cool on a hot Florida day is to sip ice water. I tend to get fatigued by the heat after about an hour, but if I bring any cool beverage (non-alcoholic) and sip it at least every 15-20 minutes, I stay a lot more alert and I don't get fatigued. A little cooler straped to the back seat with ice and drinks. That to me is one major key to staying cool.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 8:10 am

BMW dealers have been selling their summer vented gear at closeout prices. Even though BMW gear is black in color , I did not notice a considerable difference from my prior light colored Joe Rocket vented gear. Both worked well in my area which consistently is one of our nations hottest!

BMWMOA Life Member ; BMWRA ; IBA ; AMA ; FBINA157
post #10 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 11:28 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I went silver and I am happy I did.

Sorry to say but black absorbs, just the way it is. The liter the color the more reflective/refractive it is.

Moving not too bad a difference, but you get stopped in black versus silver, you are going to get warmer faster in black.

I had a black mesh and stopped wearing it on my commute because I got hung up in traffic so many times and cooked.

I my self am looking into the vest mentioned in the earlier post. I am confused on them/type, but that is another thread.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 12:50 pm

In regards to the cooling vests , I use the Joe Rocket brand with some success. I soak it in water the night before and then place in the refrigerator until I use the next day. In our 110 on up temperatures I find it dries out too fast in the wind and then heats me up. Under my vented jacket I always wear a long sleeve shirt as I find the direct hot wind through my vented jacket heats me up faster. As to the start of this thread , I have tried lots of gear (shopaholic) some may meet your need better than others , so try it on for fit ,style , and color. (I ride mostly long distance in our hot summer months and save my short trips for the Arizona winters.) So the previous post in stop and go traffic is to be considered if thats what you do. Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!

BMWMOA Life Member ; BMWRA ; IBA ; AMA ; FBINA157
post #12 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair1956
..well, summer is back again, I need some advise for affordable Mesh gear

Tnx

Yair

BMW Venting Machine jacket and pants are very hard to beat in the heat, they are armoured too..........Pete
post #13 of 29 Old May 18th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Thumbs up Re: Summer Gear any ideas

I find that a Coretech Air jacket works pretty well with a CamelBak, self-hydration system. For pants, I usually go with Draggin's.

-----
JG
post #14 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 7:54 am

1st- start with a light color- It reflects the sun.
2nd- venting is important- usually... I have BMW summer pants in the tan color and they are the coolest I have ever tried.

Here in Charleston, SC, Humidity is the huge issue- can easily stay above 80% with 90 degree day. You get wet just getting your clothes on.

Above 80 degrees, we use First Gear mesh with BMW summer pants- all in a light color.

I did see a set of Olympia summer vented clothes in a silver color. The owner says they work.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #15 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:41 am
Gold Supporter

Norwood,

Is there a photo of this jacket with all the panels removed? I "Think" this is the same jacket I saw in a H-D dealership (of course it had H-D all over it) for a hundred and fifty dollars more. It looked like a fantastic jacket for year round riding. When I was looking at it I knew H-D would have had it made by someone else and wondered if I might find it for less. I think you have just shown it to me.

Hey Danno,

I have a large Camel-Back that I fill with ice (no water) and as the day goes on I can have a sip of ice cold water when ever I want. It usually lasts all day. I carry it in a bag that sits on my rear seat (or on the trunk if I am 2 up) and I just pull the hose around, slip it under my helmet and have a drink. When I am traveling I simply go to the hotel's ice machine and fill it in the AM. If you put water in it the ice melts and it gets warm by mid day, if you just use ice it stays cold all day as it melts.

On my trip home from Washington I discovered the new Monster Java drinks and the Black Bean and Mean Bean are fantastic for a cool drink that is also a good pick me up, when you start fading mid morning or mid afternoon. Every gas station I hit sold them and they were a huge help, although a lot of times on this past trip a cold drink was NOT was I was looking for.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Last edited by Lonewuff; May 19th, 2008 at 8:48 am.
post #16 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 9:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have the Cortech/Tourmaster GX Air jacket and Venture Air pants. Mesh with zip out waterproof and/or insulated liners. Very pleased with the value for all season Texas riding. I don't think you can go wrong with Olympia gear either. At 100+ in the summer it's all hot. The answer is in previous posts, a cooling vest or even wet t-shirt and bandana and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Much cooler an more versatile than my old Joe Rocket perforated leathers.

I gotta get me some of those Draggin' Jeans or something similar.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:07 am

Jerry,

I can't find a photo on-line that shows it completely unzipped. Could be because it really looks the same, except for the mesh.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com....0+Jacket&C=48

On the photo above (front view), the entire front panel from the collar around the chest/ stomach comes off (zips along the pinstripe on the arm), revealing mesh.

Looking at the rearview, you can see that the zipper removes the bottom section of the jacket, revealing mesh.

You can see the line around the arms part way up either side, which removes revealing mesh.

Also, there are two zippers, one on each side, in the upper blue area of the front. You can unzip just that for some venting if you keep it fully configured.

I would say this jacket is good but for the coldest days.

Also, both the mesh confiduration and the outer Rock-Tex have pockets. It's a breeze to take apart and put together. I've left mornings fully configured and unzipped when the temp got toasty.

If I have some time tonight, I'll try to "model" the before and after.

My wife was pissed becasue the "ladies" version didn't come in the blue/ black/ silver. That's alright, I didn't want us to look like twins- she got a cool mostly white Scorpion jacket.

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC
post #18 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:59 am
IBR# 366

Garage

+1 on the CamelBak. Many smaller sips of water are much better than downing a liter only at stops.

I've also used the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. It works as advertised, with two major caveats. One, the zippers are cheap quality and started coming apart after a year or so of daily use. Two, you have to take the whole thing off to put in the waterproof liner, and that liner is plastic-coated which means that it does not breathe at all.

So if you ride through a 20 degree change in temps, you're either freezing because of the mesh or sweating because you're still wearing a plastic bag.

I recently ordered a Teknic Spider jacket which also has the zip-off panel, but when zipped together the outer shell is waterproof and breathable. For $100 I figured it's worth a try.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Olympia Gear, with liners removed in the summer works just fine. When the heat is really cooking, I use my Silver Eagle cooling vest.

+1 - I like my Olympia Gear a lot.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #20 of 29 Old May 19th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Looks like you've gotten some pretty good advice here.

Bottom line ?

Mesh is cooler than not wearing anything because it keeps the sun off your skin.

All the popular brands are pretty good. Some expensive ones are obviously a little better.

Even Black is better than none.
I'd go along with lighter color is probably better.

Maybe a cooling vest when it gets really hot. or I just dump some water on myself. I wear a cotton tshirt under the mesh jacket. Water+ airflow= evaporation. Evaporation removes a lot of heat.....

Good Luck.

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #21 of 29 Old May 25th, 2008, 7:50 am

Any mesh protective jacket and pants, Joe Rocket Sahara cooling vest, CamelBak, LD Comfort shorts, and my SO....keeps me so Kool!
post #22 of 29 Old May 26th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I recently bought an Olympia GT Air Transitions jacket: very comfortable in the mid 80's as long as you're moving. It's a little warm when you're stopped, but not bad.

It gets quite warm and humid here in the summer and for the past three years I've been using a Vanson VentMax during the really scorching months. As someone noted, it's cooler than not wearing a jacket, and the VentMax is about as vented as it's possible to get. Leather reinforced at the elbows and shoulders, CE armor there and spinal as well. the weave is so open that my guess is you'd take some rash from debirs that would make its way through in a slide, but they claim that the 1000 denier nylon is tough enough to hang together and keep the armor in place.

Bottom lione for the Vanson: LOTS of ariflow: reasonable protection.
post #23 of 29 Old May 26th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Ideas on good summer gear?

I have purchased all kinds of riding gear (except "Stich"). I have gear for the Winter, Spring & Fall and for Summer, I have rain gear and electrics. Now I have finally got what I think is the best "all around" riding gear. After riding with Motoport Kevlar mesh pants for 4 years, I finally popped for their jacket last January for a trip to Death Valley. With their wind proof / water proof liners, I have gone from the 30's to the mid 70's, then with the liners out I have been up to 110*. Below the mid 40's I do add my electric vest for some heat.

Like you, I'm from SoCal and when my wife and I go on trips to Utah or Colorado, we have to go through the desert to get there. So we used to ask ourselves about "what are we going to wear?" Cordura or one of those "cheaper" mesh jackets? In the desert we got too hot in the cordura, but once we got to Colorado we were chilly in the JR mesh. Now with our Motoport mesh, we can handle any weather, even the rain as the liners are water proof. No need to pack the rain gear now.

Should we go down, are we safe with this gear? Go to Motoport's web site and read their "Save your hide" section.

Is it cheap? No !!!! but it is worth the money. Yes !!! It will take you from the cold of Death Valley to the extreme desert heat and it is safe. When you add up the cost of good cold weather gear, add the cost of even the cheap mesh and add in rain gear, you will spend the kind of money Motoport is asking for their gear and you don't have to drag around all the stuff you 'might' need, and you will be better protected.

Do yourself a favor and ride down to San Marcos (just west of Escondido) and take a look at what they have.

PS I have no affiliation with Motoport.

Last edited by Signman; May 26th, 2008 at 7:04 pm.
post #24 of 29 Old May 26th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman
Ideas on good summer gear?

I have purchased all kinds of riding gear (except "Stich"). I have gear for the Winter, Spring & Fall and for Summer, I have rain gear and electrics. Now I have finally got what I think is the best "all around" riding gear. After riding with Motoport Kevlar mesh pants for 4 years, I finally popped for their jacket last January for a trip to Death Valley. With their wind proof / water proof liners, I have gone from the 30's to the mid 70's, then with the liners out I have been up to 110*. Below the mid 40's I do add my electric vest for some heat.
1+ on the Motoport. I had a First Gear Mesh jacket & pants, and the Motoport Air Mesh II is far superior when it comes to rider comfort. I don't understand how wind can penetrate the Motorport Air Mesh II fabric better, but it just does. Put on Under Armor heat gear under that & you'll get even cooler. You'll still need a cooling vest for really hot weather, obviously, it isn't magic fabric, but it's pretty darn close.

If you believe Motoport's comparison of their fabric to the competitions, it is also stronger than most other fabrics, and definitely stronger than leather.

When I decided to get serious about protecting my hide, I wanted to only buy one suit. I probably would have went with Aerostitch, but it's just too damned hot for me to wear in the summertime. I didn't want to have 2 different set of jackets & pants. I wore the Air Mesh II all through the winter months. Didn't get too many chances to ride this winter cuz of ice on the road, but I did get out at least once each month & the Motoport was quite warm ( with the optional liners ).

Other nice thing about Motoport is they will walk you through measuring yourself if you need them to. If they don't have something hanging on the rack, they will custom make it to your size.

Also, if you crash & they can't fix it, they replace it free of charge.

Want to see how it performs in a crash? Go to their website & read the customer testimonials on their site.

I am not affiliated with Motoport in any way, but I think this is simply the best stuff out there.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #25 of 29 Old May 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

+1 on Motoport! Expensive, but simply the best all weather gear money can buy.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #26 of 29 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:38 am

I started with a Joe Rocket and leather chaps and then switched to a CorTech Mesh jacket (Silver) and Olympia Pants (Silver). Personal preference for the CorTech was that it gave better ventilation than the Olympia jacket. Couldn't figure out why CorTech's pants were only available in black!!??? Chilly neck wrap works fine and the Camelback hydration system can't be beat until the bite valve comes off and I'm tooling down I-81 in Virginia at 70 mph with this hose whipping around spewing Gatorade all over me, the tank bag, the inside of the windscreen, etc.

So it goes,
Chris
post #27 of 29 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:51 am

Yair, you might also want to check out phase change vests, helmet liners, neck wraps etc.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #28 of 29 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Has anyone bought the BMW AirFlow 3 Jacket? Is it worth $459?

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #29 of 29 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Garage

I have a Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket that I really liked until I read this thread.

IIRC, the gist of the thread is that JR mesh fabric MELTS almost on contact with the tarmac. I'm saving my nickels to get a High Viz Mesh from Olympia. FWIW, I also wear tan BMW Summer pants.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in