Socks and cold weather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Question Socks and cold weather

With the heated seats, heated grips and layering I can seem to get down the road when it is cold with the exception of my feet. At 60+ MPH and 30 degree temps, my cotton glad feet in GoreTex boots get mighty cold. Heated socks maybe in the future, but I don't have any other heated gear at this point so it is not at the top of the list. Looking for a option in socks that might help with the moist feet.

Thanks in advance.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 2:10 pm

Steve,

If you think you'll never need any other heated gear check out Cabelas--hunting, fishing, etc gear.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...sock&noImage=0

Only downside is you need to keep batteries for them.

Take care,
Tim
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:44 pm

Smile

Steve, just go ahead and commit to buying electric socks with a thermostat. I've found that's the only way to have truly warm toes/feet in weather that's 40 degrees or less. I bought mine at my local H-D dealer/made by Gerbing and they're terrific. Anything less and you'll have cool/cold feet and toes.

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
With the heated seats, heated grips and layering I can seem to get down the road when it is cold with the exception of my feet. At 60+ MPH and 30 degree temps, my cotton glad feet in GoreTex boots get mighty cold. Heated socks maybe in the future, but I don't have any other heated gear at this point so it is not at the top of the list. Looking for a option in socks that might help with the moist feet.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, Bud - I got a pair of genuine BMUU heated insole/inserts for das boots. Brand new, never outta the box --- you wanna try 'em this winter and see whatcha think?? I'm not gonna need 'em this year (butt will next year), and would be more'n glad to USPS'em to ya for tryouts. You can brung 'em back to me when you and JackD come to Austin. Whaddya thunk??

You'll need to lemme know what size boot you're wearing (you got a pair of Sidi boots, right?), and I need to custom fit these to your boot, or mine if we wear same size.
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:36 am

I have the coldest feet in, well, in my family anyway.

While in my local outdoorsy store recently, I asked the clerk to recommend the warmest socks for 'sit still' activities. He showed me to the Patagonia capilene socks. The most expensive brand they sell, at $14.00 a pair.

I tried them and so far they seem warmer than my wool socks while being no thicker than cotton athletic socks.

We'll see how they do when the temps fall into the 20s but so far I'm well satisfied.

I thought about trying the rechargeable electric sole inserts. They were sold with a BMW brand a couple of years ago. I also found them online at a ski supply shop. I think the cost was about $100.
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 4:07 pm

I wear "Smartwool" socks, very warm and comfortable. I buy mine at our local sporting goods stores.

regards
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smart wool fan here. I wear them every day. Good stuff. I have cold feet also.

On the bike electric socks or insoles are the way to go.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 8:15 am

Cotton socks are not the way to go for cold weather riding. The SmartWool socks are a good solution. REI carries them.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 7:46 pm
was

I use synthetic/wool blend ski socks. The high ones come up above my boots and give a bit of warmth to the shin area as well. I use silk or polypro liner socks underneath. Has worked well in temps below freezing.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 8:57 pm

As many others have posted, there are many good socks to help. COTTON is definitely the WORST.

I had a couple types of good socks and found that the addition of silk liners between them and your feet makes them even warmer. I had full silk underwear, pants, shirt, glove liners, and sock liners. it made a nice addition to all the other warm gear I had.

You can get them a few places, I got mine from Sportsman's Guide
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=40252

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 5:54 am

If your feet are getting wet try a different pair of riding boots perhaps.

if not, i use "holeproof explorers" you can buy them from woolworths, big w.they are woolen and very thick and comfortable.last for donkey years
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
With the heated seats, heated grips and layering I can seem to get down the road when it is cold with the exception of my feet. At 60+ MPH and 30 degree temps, my cotton glad feet in GoreTex boots get mighty cold.
Thanks in advance.

I think that your biggest problem is the GorTex boots! As far as I know gortex is made to breath - so you really have no protection from the wind. You need something to stop the air from going right through the boots to your feet. I don't think that any sock is going to help a whole lot since they are all designed to breath also. Maybe plastic baggies over your socks would help more than anything, but I think that you should consider your gortex boots as warm weather gear and get a pair of boots that do not breath so much for winter riding.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 7:33 am

Cool

To solve this problem you need some polypropoline or silk socks with cotton socks over them. the problem is your feet are sweating and soaking socks, evaporation is causing a cooling effect.

also try using anti-perspirant on your feet bottoms, this will slow or stop sweating.
Hiking with Boy Scouts, I had problems with this and learned about the polypro socks, silk socks, also prevents blisters when walking.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 9:22 pm

Warm Feet Recommendation

I wear Firstgear's Kilimanjaro Boots and either RedHead Arctic sock or Cabela's Deluxe Cold Weather sock. A fellow rider turned me on to the boots and the socks came to me by way of personal experience as a hunter. For me this boot/sock combination is incredible. I can go all day in the upper 30s and not get cold feet. In the lower 30s I have to use my widder vest to keep the core warm and then the feet are still good with just the boots and socks. When riding in the 20s for any more than about 1-1/2 to 2 hours I use a heated sole pad which is the same product as the air activated hand warmers. They can be purchased for under $2 a pair and last for 6-8 hours.

What ever boot you get you want to make sure it's not too tight and that needs to be evaluated while wearing a heavy winter wool sock. When buying your winter boot, error to the "too big" size vs. too small. The Kilimanjaro boot is not cheap but I sware by it. It can be had for considerably less than the typical advertised price of $199. I think I got mine for around $160 delivered from New Enough or Tonker.com

I wear the Kilimanjaro's year around with a very light sock in the summer and don't find them to be too hot. They are also comfortable to walk in.

The RedHead socks can be purchased at BassPro.com and the Cabela Deluxe cold wether socks can be purchased at Cabelas.com Socks will run $11-$14 a pair depending on whether or not you catch a sale.
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Hot foot

As a skier I've found a great product in "hotronics" electric inner soles. They have a battery pack for each foot and a thermostat. They are unbeatable for long cold rides. Try EBAY for them.

Stay upright
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

At 15F I rode my R1200CL(RIP) 60+ miles with Cruiserworks Tour(waterproof) boot, their winter sock and toe pads. The pads a re supposed to go to 106F and last 6-9 hrs. This worked for me. I also wear the Cruiserworks year round and all day. Some of the best money I've spent. I do not know if they are still around as they were

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in