HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet Review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thumbs up HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet Review

Due to stiffness in my neck after a long day in the saddle I struck out to find a lighter helmet. I looked at a couple of the Carbon and found the HJC fit my head better than any other. Weight is almost nill and the fit around the ears and chin are perfect for a headset. I tried them on at the Int. National Motorcycle Show and ordered one as soon as I got home. When it came in I shipped it to J & M to have the headset mounted professionally. At first the cheek pads seemed a little tight, but thanks to some suggestions from this list I took care of that easily (In my size they only make one size cheek pad). I have been using the helmet for several days now and today was my first real trip out of town and back to test it for any length of time and I have to say it is without a doubt the best helmet I have ever worn. It is the quietest by a long shot and wind noise is almost none existent. The flow through ventilation is great and there is no buffeting from back draft due to the design. Did I say it was quiet? Seriously there is almost no wind noise with this helmet with the vents open or closed and with the J&M headset and the insulation of the helmet the sound system is the best I have ever heard. The anti-fog shield actually worked too, which was a suprise.

Supposedly they are a high theft item if left sitting on the bikes (per the rep at the cycle show), so I bought the Elbowz version cause you can't see it is Carbon when you look at it, but the other two versions are obvious. On a scale of 1 - 5 my Shoei Multitech is a 4.75 and the HJC AC-12 Carbon is a 4.99. I just wish I could find a modular helmet in Carbon, for in town use. So if you are looking for a lightweight helmet that works great I highly recommend it. (Okay HJC, will you send the check now? )

http://www.helmetshop.com/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet Review

Thanks for the review. I love my flip-up C2, except that it is very heavy.

The only Carbon Fiber flip-up I've ever seen was a BMW System IV helmet, not available in the US (of course). If it had a built-in sun visor, I'd be all over that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:45 am

Perfect timing for this review. I am planning to go try one on this weekend. My previous lids were, Arai Corsair, KBC, Scorpion.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:56 am

Got a question for you folks. I just ordered an HJC ac-12, not the carbon version. The carbon is 5 oz lighter, and I would have preferred that, but I've never bought a black helmet -I ordered silver- since I presume it is significantly warmer in the summer sun.

Has that been the experience of those of you who've had both light and dark helmets?
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

As a motor cop a few years ago we changed uniforms and half of us wanted white helmets thinking they would be cooler and the other half wanted black thinking they would be "Cooler Looking" so to appease us the supervisor made us where a sensor under our white or black helmets to see what difference there was. None!!! Surprised all of us, then the city turned around and ordered half and half helmets (black in the front and white in the back).

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Last edited by Lonewuff; Mar 30th, 2008 at 2:40 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 2:42 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Thanks for the review. I love my flip-up C2, except that it is very heavy.

The only Carbon Fiber flip-up I've ever seen was a BMW System IV helmet, not available in the US (of course). If it had a built-in sun visor, I'd be all over that.
You and me both!!! That is a fantastic helmet and I wish my HJC had the sun visor too.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in