Anyone ever use a snowmobile helmet in colder weather? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

Anyone ever use a snowmobile helmet in colder weather?

My riding season is a good month to a month in half away, but for the first two months or so it is really cold when I leave for work (around 5 am). Its a lot better when I go home at 3 pm, but the mornings are chilly. I have about a 45 min to 1 hr commute which makes putting all the gear on worth the time so I pretty much only ride my mc from mid March thru October. I have clothes for the cold mornings, but my helmet fogs up something fierce.

So Im at one of the local bike/atv/snowmobile/watercraft/ etc... stores and I start looking at the snowmobile helmets. The parts guy tells me they pretty much dont fog because of the face shield and the breath guard. He also tells me the HJC helmet is exactly the same for snow and street they just provide a different shield and breath guard.

Anyone ever tried using a snow helmet in the colder weather?

Just curious before I spend any $$

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 6:04 pm

Re: Anyone ever use a snowmobile helmet in colder weather?

Parts Unlimited carries a lot of replacement shields.See if they have a snow one for your helmet.Also,the Z1R helmet with a heated shield is a decent helmet for not much money.
I have a friend who swears by wearing a bandanna on his lower face to keep his breath off the shield in cooler temps.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 6:29 pm

One other thing.My snow shields are stamped not for road use.I believe because they are not dot approved.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 6:47 pm

I use my ARAI Sz-m on the sno-mobile in colder weather .... Does that count ?

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #5 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 9:04 pm

I did use an HJC helmet that I bought as a snowmobile helmet while riding my motorcycle, but I changed the shield first.
Many "snowmobile helmets" are the same as motorcycle helmets and are DOT approved, but shields for snowmobiling are not DOT approved... At least I've never seen one.
Snowmobile shields are double walled to provide insulation between the inside wall and the outside to help cut down on fogging, but the plastic used is very thin and I wouldn't trust it to stop a stone kicked up at highway speed.
They also make heated shield for snowmobiling that work best to prevent fogging, but again, not DOT approved.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 21st, 2008, 9:09 pm

There's also a number of products like this available, and you'll fit right in at the Star Wars conventions!

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
There's also a number of products like this available, and you'll fit right in at the Star Wars conventions!
I think it would be rather stylish, for an elephant seal.

It probably works better than a lot of other marginal solutions.

I think a snorkel would work even better, especially here in Seattle. The performance crowd could have a dual pipe model. They stylish contingent could have them color matched to their bike or helmet. Of course the cruiser crowd would have the chrome option. The squids could have the low drag model that is aerodynamically formed into their helmet. The dual sport and adventure groups could have an off-road model. You know the ones. They are curved 180 degrees at the top and have a little cage with a floating ball for a valve. That would help keep the water out during those really deep river crossings or just on rainy days here in Seattle.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter

I never thought of the impact resistance of the shield...snowmobiles go over 100mph, I would imagine their is some impact resistance to snowmobile shields it may be a simple matter of not wanting to go through the DOT testing and/or product liability concerns, not sure...

Tom
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 1:41 pm

I use a Fogcity inner shield and it works great here on the coast. Creates a double walled shield.

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #10 of 10 Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 2:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillJustJerry
I use a Fogcity inner shield and it works great here on the coast. Creates a double walled shield.
+1 on the Fog City insert. When we lived in Wales, I would run one all winter long. Here's a review.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in