Summer Rider Jacket and Boot Preference - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Summer Rider Jacket and Boot Preference

I will be riding a 2003 K1200 LT this spring and will be looking to upgrade my summer jacket and get a pair of waterproof boots. i've been going with some mid level gear from the local metric Japanese bike dealer and before I spend $500 or so on upgrading, I'd like to hear what you touring guys and gals wear - wife is interested too. Thank you for your time.

Snowgun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 7:09 pm

You may want to check our site out as we may have some products that may interest you.
Roadgear's Airtec (Mesh) Jacket and the XKJ or TDF boots which have the Outlast fabric in them.....keeping your feet cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Their waterproof too.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 7:48 pm
Gold Supporter

I have the Olympia Airglide Jacket and pants and found them tollerable in our heat this past summer, which says a lot. Not great for cold distance with the liner in, but a good venting jacket in the summer. Boots, I have the BMW boots, but my wife is wearing the Explorer Triumph boots and loves them. Great for riding and walking, which is where the BMW boots are a little lacking.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lonewuff; Jan 15th, 2008 at 8:45 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Olympia +1

I have the Olympia Airglide gear for summer riding. Put nearly 6K miles on them this past summer. I have been really pleased with the quality of Olympia. Boots, there are plenty of good choices. I am currently using Oxtar and have been pleased.

2003 K1200LT Titan Silver - The Great Escape
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:26 am

Thumbs up only one choice....

www.motoport.com Mesh Kevlar. I wore it last weekend up to North Florida. Without the liner I was comfortable down to 60 degrees. On the way home, I went through a massive downpour. I thought I was going to get drenched. When I got home, I was bone dry. My shirt was an Underarmor heat gear loose fit long sleeve and if it got wet, it was dry within 10 minutes! The jacket is cooler than my Joe Rocket, Firstgear, and Tourmaster. It is also safer and lighter weight. Read this: http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide...1-800-777-6499

I also use the Stretch Mesh pants Best investment I've made! Both are custom made to fit in a few days. Satisfaction Gauranteed

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:37 am

I currently use the Firstgear Mesh II jacket with the zip and snap in liner. It is not waterproof, but the liner along with some warm upper body layers AND a BMW heated vest with high collar will serve you down into the 40's for limited distance. Long rides need something better. I have found that the sleeves of the Mesh II are tighter than the previous Firstgear Mesh jacket I had - no idea why.

The hot weather venting on this jacket is adequate. I think the Olympia is a better looking jacket, but I don't have any experience with it. A couple of friends have them and speak highly of them. They especially like the liner.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in