post #1 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Roadcrafters who wears one????????

Like it?????

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16133.html

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Not for me. I looked hard at these this last fall when I decided to get better protection than the polypropylene coated products I was wearing. I read a Dr.'s account of how he had witnessed polypropylene coated polyester products melt into crash victim's skin in the E.R.

Plus, people complain that Roadcrafters are hot above 85 degrees. I wanted something that I could wear year round without having 2 sets of jackets/pants or 2 separate suits.

I went with Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar. I also had them send me a few samples of the material as well as their Kevlar stretch material. It's supposedly the only textile approved for FIM racing. I also purchased the winter & breathable waterproof liners.

The Air Mesh kevlar is significantly cooler than my polyester mesh gear because the air actually gets through the mesh, and the armor has holes drilled into it so it partially gets through it as well. I also bought a phase change vest from a company in FL, but it was too late in the season to use it by the time I received it.

What really made me decide on the Motoport Kevlar over Olympia, Rukka, or Aerostitch was the combination of better protection/coolness in the heat. I had also read testimonials of people who have crashed in their gear both on the track and on the street ( one guy at over 130mph). The guy who crashed at 130 was told by the police & EMTs that he wouldn't have survived had he not been wearing what he was. I'm sure you'll read similar testimonials on the other brands, but I don't believe their armor is as good as Motoports ( it exceeds CE standards) or they are as cool in the summer.

Motoport's website is way outdated, but I was very impressed with their customer service. They will do custom sizing and also custom colors, or little things like adding an extra zipper for a small fee.

I'm sure you'd be very happy with an Aerostitch Roadcrafter if you crashed in it, but living where you do, I think you're going to roast while wearing it.

If you'd like to read more about it here is a link to a thread in ADV Rider

Also, if you crash in a Motoport & they can't fix it, they will replace it for free.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Last edited by sonnata; Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:21 am.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:54 am

I got a 1 piece in gray/hi viz for a Christmas gift last year and I've been wearing it as much as I can.
Positives - high quality, comfortable, easy to put on and take off, lots of pockets, good protection in elbows, shoulders and knees, excellent customer service, no need to pack rain gear, hi viz really works!
Negatives - price(!!!), not really good in hot weather (it easily gets to 105 here and I don't wear it then), hi viz shows dirt easily.
There are some who say the 1 piece outfits leak in the crotch area while riding in the rain, but I have not experienced that. I have ridden my LT in day long rain several times and a few times with my K12S and remained dry. I did wash mine in Nikwax and maybe that helped. After a year now I can say I love the outfit and plan on wearing it for as long as it lasts.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:52 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Like it?????
Yes! - Had mine for about 4 1/2 years now. Regarding the previous comments on warm-weather riding - I find as long as your are moving above 25 - 30 mph the suit is still tolerable above 90 degrees. However, during an extended heatwave 2 years ago (temps over 98+) I did buy the BMW Venting Machine jacket/pants - the Roadcrafter was just too unbearable. I have never had a problem with the crotch leaking, either.

It is great for commuting (wear your work clothes underneath).

Also, I have had no problems with the zippers or fabrics after 4 1/2 years. It has faded a bit, but that's it.

It is hard to find one suit or gear that will do everything. But, with just wearing normal street clothes underneath, the Roadcrafter suit is a good choice for virtually all conditions between 40 degrees and 90 degrees.

Hope this helps!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 3:06 pm

Yes, been wearing mine since 1999. The red is a bit faded but that's typical of reds. Survived 105 deg. in the Black Hills on the way to and from MOA International rally last July. I use a water soaked neckerchief and/or pour water down the front and back of my T-shirt underneath when if gets to 90+.

All pockets/zippers,etc are functioning just like new. Only downside is having to take it off to go inside for meals. You get some strange looks from non-riders if you are wandering in a restaurant looking for a table. I might look at the two piece version if I were shopping today. Two piece owners tend to leave the pants on and just take the top off. Stitch quality can't be beat. I've never tested it on asphalt. I understand they repair at N/C if you do.

No regrets,

Bruce
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:22 pm

I have the Darien jacket/pants combo, but I did try on the Roadcrafter -- both one-piece and two-piece versions. In addition to what other responders are saying, I would just reiterate that the one-piece suit is a great way to commute. Totally convenient, and yes -- you can take it off and put it on as quickly as they advertise.

I like the Darien concept (two pieces) better than the one-piece Roadcrafter because it's more versatile: walk into a restaurant and take off the jacket, leaving on the pants, for example. I can have both pieces on in under a minute.

The Darien is hot in the summer, and I switch to a mesh jacket then. That's a subjective thing, though.

If money was no object I'd have a Roadcrafter for commuting, a Darien for day trips and touring, and a BMW Venting Machine for warmer temperatures. The other BMW suits are nice, too. By the time you have a couple of mods made to an Aerostich they're the same cost as BMW.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 5:53 pm

I have read alot about stitch suits and everything else out there.
My question..does anybody use the BMW streetguard 2 suit? From everything I read it seems to be the best overall for any conditions. They use Kevlar in the suit. I understand that it is very expensive...but...I only want to buy one.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

GolfGuy

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:36 pm

My wife and I have had the Roadcrafter for 8 years. As others have said, it is very well made and feels safe. If nothing else, it will make it easier for the highway crews to clean up the road if I do go down.

We wear phase change vests under the Roadcrafter in 85+ temperatures and wet down our Slics. The vests keep us cool for about 2 hours and then have to be recharged by submersing them in cold water for 1/2 hour (good excuse for a break anyway). But the Slic's dry out and our heads get hot within 1/2 hour of wetting them.

We've never tried the mesh armor but might consider that next time if we can be convinced that it has the same safety factors as the Roadcrafter.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Thank you.

I came to realize I need that suit in Florida like a hole in my head. It was one of those impulse things. I think that suit is great but not for me. I also own a Savanna Jacket 2. Thanks for all the inputs.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 7:10 am

It feels so friggin huge and heavy when I put it on -- then I get on the bike and barely know it is there - really nice in cold weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in