any advice on nolan 102 helmets? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Smile any advice on nolan 102 helmets?

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new helmet and I am wondering if anyone has experiance with the Nolan 102 n units?

I like the idea of the "semi full face" system but dont of anyone who has tried them. I believe they can also be updated with the Nolan comms system and I would be interested in how this system connects to the helmet and again, if anyone has actually used one i would love to know.

Here in australia they are available over the net but not many dealers stock them.

Better go as the damn kangaroo needs to be let out. They make the most troublesome pets.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 7:19 am

I got one last summer and am very pleased with it except that the ventilation isn't exactly mind-blowing. I spend most of my riding with the visor cracked, or with the front flipped up (at lower speeds). Otherwise it's a good helmet at a good price, imo. I particularly like the built-on shade (removable) for riding early and late in the day when the sun gets low.

I've got an Autocom unit fitted - we already had it and I couldn't see myself getting rid just to put in the Nolan comms system. Works just fine.

What I have noticed is that the helmet 'fit' is wide, but it does press slightly on either side of the crown of my head. not enough to cause any problems. I guess the only way to get a perfect fit is to have a helmet custom made?!!!
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 7:59 am

I like my Nolan....
Only have a problem with fogging when I stop, then I have to crack the face shield open, this was not a problem when I had the anti-fog insert installed but just too many things to clean so i took it out.
Also be aware that you cannot have clear shield up and tinted shield down.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 9:21 am

I like my Nolan. I have had the 102 for about a year and have had no problems with it. It does fog up in the cooler weather, but I have not used the anti-fog shield that came with it.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 9:59 am

We bought three 102's. Very easy to open one-handed, love the micro adjust chin strap.

I put a couple rows of electrical tape across the top of the dark shield to block all sunlight.

I also used the fog shield, works great. Would not be without it in the cold. You need to remove the shield to install the fog shield.

I removed the liner and found their vent holes did not line up properly, used 3/8th inch drive socket extension to open the holes wider and line the vents up. I agree the venting leaves a bit to be desired.

I used a deep socket to round out any hard edges on the styrene. You can get different size cheek pads ($20), the helmets are all the same size.

The Nolan Com system is about $350 per helmet. We went with a no frills, rider/passenger COM system from Motorcycle Superstore, got two units for under $200, total. Should be here any day. Nice part of that one is you are not tethered to the bike or each other.

We felt it was the best helmet in the price range. We all wear glasses, and this was a necessity for us. Really glad we did not go with a 3/4 helmet!
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 9:59 am

Helmets are a very personal and subjective "subject".

While you'll probably find that "most" people here like the Nolan N102,

I hated it!! Too damn noisy, the noisiest helmet I've ever owned!

I purchased two of them (wife and I) with J&M headsets installed around $900.
Sold them both "here" for less than half after just a couple of months.

The helmets were so noisy that it would activate the intercom system every time we passed a car/truck/MC or even if one came the other way on a two lane road unless we kept the visor completely closed.

Overall the venting and the quality of the construction and functionability of the helmet was good, I just couldn't stand my ears ringing (my wife shares my opinion) after a couple of hours on the road.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Helmets are a very personal and subjective "subject".

While you'll probably find that "most" people here like the Nolan N102

I hated it!! Too damn noisy, the noisiest helmet I've ever owned!
Hans, I agree. It's all about fit.

If the helmet fits properly or better yet if your head shape is close to the model used to design that particular helmet it is not only comfortable but generally not real noisy. I have used a Nolan for the last three replacements and I find the N102 to be the quietest of any brand that I have had in a long time.

I found that if I ride with the wings closed the helmet is relatively quiet. I had two N100E models and they were much noisier. When it's warm and I need the wings open I use ear plugs..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 5:38 pm

New info on the Nolan's

http://www.shopxr.com/showproduct.as...&categoryid=66

After receiving a COM system for our Nolan 102's today, I called Nolan to find out why the mics did not seem to fit very well, leaving no room at all between the mic and our face.

I am told the 102's are designed for people with round heads, and the 1002 is for people with oval shaped heads, and has an elongated jaw section.

Needless to say, I would have needed a 1002. We did not know they made another model, didn't see any even on the Nolan order page, and no one told us any differently when we asked, as apparently the dealers were not aware either.

Having already invested almost $900 in three helmets, it is not likely we are going to get another helmet. It was the best we could find for the money, at the time.

Hope that saves someone else from buying the wrong model.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:49 am

It's all about the fit. I wanted a Nolan for its features, but none would fit my head comfortabley. I have a large noggin...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Quote: "I used a deep socket to round out any hard edges on the styrene. You can get different size cheek pads ($20), the helmets are all the same size."

Does anyone know where to buy the cheekpads?? I have searched and can not find them...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Cheek pads are $20 from Nolan, phone # is on the booklet that comes with the helmet. The helmets are all the same size. If the helmet is new, they will exchange them, NC.
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 1:40 am

Garage
Thanks. this answers my question why the mic is right up against my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
http://www.shopxr.com/showproduct.as...&categoryid=66

After receiving a COM system for our Nolan 102's today, I called Nolan to find out why the mics did not seem to fit very well, leaving no room at all between the mic and our face.

I am told the 102's are designed for people with round heads, and the 1002 is for people with oval shaped heads, and has an elongated jaw section.

Needless to say, I would have needed a 1002. We did not know they made another model, didn't see any even on the Nolan order page, and no one told us any differently when we asked, as apparently the dealers were not aware either.

Having already invested almost $900 in three helmets, it is not likely we are going to get another helmet. It was the best we could find for the money, at the time.

Hope that saves someone else from buying the wrong model.
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 4:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
It's all about the fit. I wanted a Nolan for its features, but none would fit my head comfortabley. I have a large noggin...
Me too and the Nolan was the only 2XL that fitted me well. HJC used to do one a few years back that fitted like a dream - snug and comfy - but they discontinued it.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 7:31 am

Garage
Don't be suckered into believing that the sunvisor included with the helmet is actually useful. The miniute you crack the visor for some air, the sunvisor obsures your view. I think I road for about a mile before I took mine off.

One other point, you can't lock this helmet to any helmet lock. It has a sliding clasp locking system that prevents you from locking the helmet to the bike. I'm told that they make this metal T that slips between the webbing and the lock that allows a helmet lock to bolt to but I haven't actually seen one in real life. I found this picture on the Whitehorse press website

I'm going to the Cycleworld Bike show today and hope to find one. If not, I'll try to fabricate one meself!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great helmet that fits my round head. Very comfortable and accepts the J&M headset very well.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in