Proper helmet fit? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 10th, 2007, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Proper helmet fit?

After weeks of driving to every dealer in a 50 mi radius to look at every helmet available, we both bought the new Nolan 102 full face helmets. I first started wanting the 3/4 helmet, but the Nolan's just did not feel right and was going to get the XXL.

During the process, a rep for one of the helmets convinced us on how to best fit, regardless of what brand we bought. I ended up with a L.

Well, my 102 helmet fits pretty darn good, that is until I tried to use a balaclava for the colder temps.

One question is, why do they not provide some kind of air bladder or adjustable spacing in the helmets to allow for something like this and offer some adjustment with the liners.

I also have not figured out how to use their supplied anti fog lens.

Had I bought one size bigger, the helmet would not have fit without using something inside it.

I can't afford to buy another $300 helmet at this point, so if it is too cold to ride without the warm liner, I will have to stop riding.

Just curious if anyone else has run into this, and come up with an inexpensive solution.

A word of caution: I attempted to adjust the vent on the top of the helmet when driving and got the finger of my glove stuck in the vent, closed. Won't be doing that again.

Thanks!

Last edited by DaveDragon; Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:40 pm. Reason: sp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 10th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Buff

Wayne

Now you have a full face helmet you may not need a balaclava, or maybe not a thick wooly one. I normally wear a buff tube which is very versatile and the polar one is great in winter. link here http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Under Armour beanie's are great and shouldn't take up too much room, I can't get the link thing to work and you obviously have a handle on how to handle computers so go check them out. They are very light weight but the stuff is warm. In addition to bikes I have several other addictions, some of which require cold weather participation (duck hunting for one) and between this stuff and goretex it has made cold weather activities much easier to enjoy.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 14th, 2007, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

I have one of just about every type of layered piece I could possibly own for headware. I think, I may have listened just a little too well to the "helmet really needs to be tight" lectures, and probably should have gone one size larger. They insisted the helmet would loosen up. Now, 2500 miles later, it is a near prefect fit. But, even with just a silk weight liner, the difference is noticeable. With the heavier, warmer balaclava, more than an hour riding is too much.

Some of the issue could just be the design of the Nolan 102 as well, but it was the only helmet I liked under $300. Had to draw the line somewhere, and at least I did not get stuck with the 3/4 helmet I originally intended to keep.

All this could have been avoided if they made helmets with the air bladders, like they have in the football and racing helmets. Even some removable padding would have been a great help.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 14th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Thumbs up Schampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Just curious if anyone else has run into this, and come up with an inexpensive solution.
My daughter gave me one of these a few years back... it's double-layer fleece keeps the neck, ears, and cheeks nice and toasty in freezing temps. It's a tube design also so does not take up space in the top of helmet... And at $9.99, you won't get more inexpensive.

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:53 am Thread Starter

I believe the answer to the helmet fitting has been found. Following the instructions from Nolan by phone for disassembly, plus adding some of my own improvisation to get this to fit the way I want it, this is what I came up with:

I removed the visor and liner and everything else except the styrene shell.

I took a 1/2" drive socket extension and rounded all the edges on the styrene around the forehead and neck area, which can otherwise cause a headache.

I then took a hardball and squashed all the raised channeled areas inside the helmet on the styrene. I also used the extension to open the venting channels, which otherwise would not have done much of anything as installed by the factory.

Used the ball to squash the material around the ear pieces.

I then removed the one extra piece of thin foam on the top, between the shell and the liner.

Reinstalled the liner, installed the anti-fog shield, and it looks good to go.

Won't know for sure how much improvement, possibly perfect fit I hope, until I get the bike back from the shop and put some miles on.

I think, this should do it. They are also sending thinner cheek pieces, but I doubt I will need them.

Should any further changes need to be made, just need to identify where the pressure is coming from, then use the ball to compress the styrene.

Hope that is of some use to someone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in