To wear Hi-Viz or not to wear Hi Viz! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
To wear Hi-Viz or not to wear Hi Viz!

That is today's question.

While visiting the BMW Louisville Dealership, I tried on an XL Olympia AST jacket in Hi Viz Yellow.

They also had Hi Viz Orange and another jacket was Hi Viz Orange and black.

While I know the obvious advantages, are there LT riders wearing these day glo colors? I felt silly wearing them in the store.

Yes, safety first but the Kilimangro has the same protection and it doesn't scream looky me like the ASTs.

Go Hi Viz Yellow or Orange or the Killi? You thoughts?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Oct 13th, 2007 at 6:54 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Rob,
It's a personal choice. I could give a rat's a** what others may think when they see me coming! At least they see me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	14716   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4706.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	14717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	1900
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	14718  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Hi viz yellow here.
Not looking for a fashion statement.
Ever notice the road workers with hi viz clothing?
Most people do.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!

post #4 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:53 pm

When you see it going down the road it doesn't look silly (in my opinion)

in fact I think it looks pretty cool,
maybe next time I buy gear it might be high vis,
Will it help? I don't know, some of em don't see trains coming!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:46 pm

We have the yellow in the Joe Rocket Phoenix. The main reason we picked the color was to be more visable on the road. And oh yah, it does look kinda cool.
post #6 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:42 pm

I think the Olympia gear is very nice in any color, the hard part is to try and pose like those guys.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I'll be in the market to replace my jacket before the end of the year and have made the decision to go with the hi-viz yellow stuff (and probably helmet color to match ).

I got sick of all the "blacks" and "greys" for gear a while back (I currently wear red helmet/jacket combo) - and anything extra to add to my visibility get's my money this next time around.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #8 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:27 am

Garage
Thumbs up Hi-Vis Yellow AST

Both my wife and I love the visibility of our jackets. It is a comforting feeling knowing that we stick out like a sore thumb.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:49 am

In winter we wear red and in summer SWMBO wears yellow and I wear red. Choice of colours only because of what was in stock at the right size at the time! The bike is also bright red and has additional reflective strips on the panniers (always on), plus high level brake etc etc. Anything to be seen...
post #10 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:20 am

I saw 4 on the way to CCR, one on an LT, one on R1200CLC and two on Harleys and let me tell you it DID NOT sneak up on you. At CCR I saw more rider and pillions coming in on them. Me, I like them. It will be the next jacket I buy. Plus it will meet the Hi-Viz/reflective requirement when I go on military installations on the bike for work or PGR missions alone.

OBTW, it is a fashion statement for me, I LOVE to be seen.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:33 am

I think the hi-viz colors are a great idea, and do increase one's visibility on the road. Combine some reflective patches or striping and they work at night, too. Some people don't like the bright colors, but to each is own.

BTW, who is that distinguished gentleman on the left in Paul's photo?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:48 am

Show them colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I saw 4 on the way to CCR, one on an LT, one on R1200CLC and two on Harleys and let me tell you it DID NOT sneak up on you. At CCR I saw more rider and pillions coming in on them. Me, I like them. It will be the next jacket I buy. Plus it will meet the Hi-Viz/reflective requirement when I go on military installations on the bike for work or PGR missions alone.

OBTW, it is a fashion statement for me, I LOVE to be seen.

Show off!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #13 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I think the hi-viz colors are a great idea, and do increase one's visibility on the road. Combine some reflective patches or striping and they work at night, too. Some people don't like the bright colors, but to each is own.

BTW, who is that distinguished gentleman on the left in Paul's photo?

WELL, since you asked it's Howie, and to the right, Just Joe & Michael. BTW, I got a hair cut since that photo . . . looked a bit bushy around the ears!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:57 am

I purchased the Olympia in high viz yellow and love it. As was said earlier - there is no way to sneak up on somebody!!
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Go with the brightest, loudest thing you can find. Try this next time you're out driving your car. Look for motorcycles, tell me what you see. About the best you can do is seeing the headlight, followed by the helmet, then the upper chest area.

Until the helmet makers start making Hi-Viz solid helmets, I'll be wearing Hi-Viz jacket and or traffic vests. The only color helmet that I recommend is, solid white or (2nd choice) solid yellow. In fact, a study done in Europe several years ago indicated that you would increase your visibility by 25 % if you wear a solid, white helmet. I'm convinced. If you can't spring for new, Hi-Viz jacket, try one of the vests out there on the market. Olympia, Icon both make a nice one. There's a lot of cheaper traffic vests on the market too. Try www.ridesafer.com and www.visionvests.com.

In regards to visiblity, I read a quote in the last issue of ON that I liked, "you never hear a driver say, I didn't hear him coming, it's always, I didn't see him".

We should try to make ourselves as visually loud as possible. We all know the story on so called, "loud pipes" right?

Brian
post #16 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:17 pm

When Miss E and I were setting up gear, She wanted yellow, I wanted black. So as with most things we compromised.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Last edited by NOGILLS2; Oct 14th, 2007 at 1:27 pm.
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Yep. Miss E can be seen and you can't. And that's a good thing.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
That is today's question.

While visiting the BMW Louisville Dealership, I tried on an XL Olympia AST jacket in Hi Viz Yellow.

They also had Hi Viz Orange and another jacket was Hi Viz Orange and black.

While I know the obvious advantages, are there LT riders wearing these day glo colors? I felt silly wearing them in the store.

Yes, safety first but the Kilimangro has the same protection and it doesn't scream looky me like the ASTs.

The best piece of gear I have ever invested in>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom01_2008.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	16508  
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:34 am

I have always carried a small dry bag on top of my top rack wrapped with a Hi-Viz vest and I have a white bandana tied to it so it flaps in the breeze.
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Hi Viz yellow

I am going with a hi-vis yellow next time I can rationalize getting a new jacket. The problem for me now is that my AeroStich Darien just will not wear out.
post #21 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:17 pm

Talking Re: To wear Hi-Viz or not to wear Hi Viz!

The following is cut and pasted from my posting June 2007 on the MOA Reader's Forum; I still feel the AST is the way to go. The AST without the liner jacket is superior to the Airglide in a hard rain in the summer; unless you live in a northern tier state you will be way too hot in the Airglide in a summer rain, since you have to wear the underjacket to keep you dry inside the outer mesh jacket. However, the mesh Airglide without its liner jacket is much cooler in summer (non-rain) conditions than the AST (when worn without its liner jacket and all vents open). I wear the AST as long as I can into late spring (NJ), then I switch to the Airglide when it gets above 85F.

June, 2007:
I am probably, other than the Olympia management and staff, one of the few riders who owns both the Airglide and AST jackets, his'n hers, each.

Both are excellent, although my wife feels self-conscious in the iridescent green AST jacket (tough).

IMHO the green AST is a superior jacket for visibility in low light (dusk, fog) conditions, and is easier to convert to rain mode (don't have to take it off to put something hot and waterproof under it; the outer jacket is the rain barrier). I wear mine with the Ranger pants. The AST is not a good choice in humid conditions above 85 - 90 F, though. However, earlier this spring it saved me while walking across a gas station apron to go inside - without the hi-viz jacket, I would have become a hood ornament on a 15 mph Corvette that nailed his brakes when he saw the jacket.

The Airglide relies on a waterproof (yes, it really is) under jacket/pants, as it is mesh, and therefore superior in humid weather above 85 - 90 F. With the underjacket and pants it's good down to 30 F at 75 mph, and at 65 years young, I'm farly cold-blooded. I got the AST jackets because at 30 F the Airglide noticelably leaks cold air a little at the bottom rear, where it joins the pants. Had I bought the bushwacker with a skirted bottom like the female Airglide, I wouldn't have had to buy the AST, however I like the hi-viz aspect of the AST. 04/2008: Since this original posting I had a close encounter with an SUV in a gas station; we both pulled away at the same time, and they nailed the brakes when the iridescent green caught their eye. My bad.
post #22 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: To wear Hi-Viz or not to wear Hi Viz!

I think it was Steve Rowe who purchased perhaps an even more versatile jacket than the Air Glide- the GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket.

It has panels that fold in that allows for air flow like the AirGlide but on cooler days, simply zip up these panels and you have a increased warmth. Add the liner and insulated vest, and he was comfortable in the mid 40's.

He reported that the Hi Viz Orange was clearly visible by other riders on the Cherohala Skyway from miles away.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #23 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:03 pm

Question Re: To wear Hi-Viz or not to wear Hi Viz!

I have mixed feelings about being seen. Yes the cartards will see you, but then there's that whole target fixation thing...It gives them something to aim at!

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #24 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:32 pm

I bought a GT Air Transitions about 6 weeks ago. Thus far it has proven to be a great design.

My LT is my daily commuter and at least in these parts that often means going to work when it is 30 to 35 degrees out and going home when it is 60 or more. With all three parts (thermal and waterproof liners and outer jacket) it is fine down in the low thirties (hasn't been colder than that since I bought it, but it felt VERY good at those tems). Shedding the thermal layer and the waterproof layer it's comfortable as it warms up. Above 75 or so zipping down the panels keeps it comfortbale up in the 80's. (Once the real heat its I suspect it's back to my Vanson Ventmax and the Frogg Toggs for rain.)

For me the versatility of one jacket not just working but working well across a range of temps and conditions was the reason for the purchase. The hi-viz green is a real plus as well.
post #25 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:15 pm

Personally like the Aerostitch Roadcrafter 1 piece suit in black...but with Hi-Viz yellow on shoulders, elbows, knees and forearms. Also all the other reflective bits are good. Get a lot of good stares and smart a$$ comments, but my response is "You saw me, didn't you?" That's really the point. Hi Viz ist gut!
post #26 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:01 pm

I bought the Olympia hi-viz yellow vest at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters during STC last week. Same unit as Dave's, but the other color. Rode to work today with it on and a guy at the office said he saw me a mile away. That's the whole point...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:29 pm

I bought one of Olympias Hi vis vests. You can wear it with any jacket. I had to get one for self defence. When my wife bought her Spyder on our first long ride together I almost got run off the road twice. Had to knock on one ladys window to get her attention.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in