Alpine Star's Effex Goretex Boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Alpine Star's Effex Goretex Boots

Just picked them up. First impressions, fit and construction great. Wondering what kind of wear I am going to get out of the sole. was wearing thick white socks when I picked them up and being brand new they were a little tight zipping up, put a pair of bootie type socks now they are easy to zip, I hope they stretch a little in the ankles, although they are not uncomfortable. I wear an 8 1/2 and got a 9 or size 43, fit great.
Shifting and brake pedal feel are gona take a little getting used to.
http://www.alpinestars.com/Effex_Gor.../p/233005.html
Most every place I looked wanted the $219.00 price Alpine has on there web site, but http://www.onlineparts.com/ had them for $180.00.
Went to my local Beemer shop and they had to order them, but let me have them for $205 out the door and if they had not have fit it would not have cost me anything to send them back. Where as if I had bought them online and they didn't fit I would have had to pay to have them sent back.
Love them so far, I'll let everybody know how they hold up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 7:43 pm

I have last year's model. Wore them 6 weeks and 12,000 miles up to Alaska and back, plus a few thousand miles on other trips, and the soles still look like new! The leather is stiff, but they are getting more flexible with use, making for better feel and easier shifting.

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 8:25 am

The Effex boots are looking pretty good. I have a pair of Alpinestar Roam boots that are warm, dry and comfortable. The only problem the Roam has, at least for me, is they barely went a year before a seam on the top of the arch on both boots started to separate . I doubt this will be a problem on the Effex. They have 100% leather uppers and the side zipper design is not likely to created the stresses that the three Velcro tab system on the Roam does . I think I should have spent the extra $20 and got full leather .

The area that separates on the Roam is on the arch overflap where synthetic material is sewn to leather. The overflap tends to hump up or buckle over time. The place where the overflap buckles is where the seams eventually come apart. You can actually see where this will happen in the pictures from the Alpinestar website. There is a slight hump in the strip of leather on the arch overflap just below where the bottom Velcro closure strap is located. This gets more pronounced over time. If you are motorcycle fashion conscious then it eventually looks like crap too .

It is possible that my foot position when riding contributes to this deformation. I will ride on the balls of my feet a good portion of the time and of course my ankles are almost always angled forward. That doesn't make it any less of a design flaw as far as I am concerned.

I suspect the Effex boots should give you a long and trouble free service .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in