Darien jacket and pants question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Darien jacket and pants question

Does anyone here have a set of darien jacket and pants and how do you like them. Pro's and Con's?
I know they cost alot but a friend has a set to sell me at a reasonable price.
Thanks

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 6:59 am

I have the jacket only, and it is a terrific piece of gear. Well made, well thought out, and if you aren't of a mind to go for their Roadcrafter suit, it is a good alternative for when the weather allows its use. In Texas it is a winter jacket. They are somewhat stiff when new. I put it in the dryer with two heavy shoes and no heat and let it run for about 8 hours and that helps.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 7:09 am

I've had my Darien jacket and pants for several years now. I cannot imagine a more versatile outfit. Three seasons? I wear mine year round, layering a Gerbings liner and a fleece liner in the Winter. If it gets dirty, throw it in the washer. Can't do that with my Vanson leathers. 100% waterproof. The only time I've gotten wet is when I left a big breast pocket unzipped in a downpour.

I thought I wanted a Roadcrafter when I ordered it; the lady at Aerostich recommended the Darien since I live in the South (the RC has a taffeta lining that makes it less comfortable in extreme heat), so I ordered both with the intention of returning one. I thought I'd return the Darien but that's the one I kept. Now, I thought the Roadcrafter had a nicer fit but the Darien just seemed more versatile. I think the Darien looks like a sack on me (other people seem to look OK) but I'm not out to land the cover of GQ. I also like being able to wear the pants into a store or restaurant; they are pretty understated.

I have since purchased the Vanson perforated leathers and a Vanson mesh jacket; both of those flow more air in really hot weather, but if there is any chance of rain I wear the Darien.

I don't think I have ever talked to a serious rider (one who has worn the gear long enough to break it in) who did not like the Darien outfit.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 7:19 am

Should I?

Marc

I just recently bought a used Darien jacket from this site and it is an excellent piece of kit, Have a look through the classifieds on this site and ebay and if you can buy for the same price or less get them - if it does not work then move them oon, you are unlikely to lose on the deal. I am sure there will be a Howard along shortly to give his thumbs up ;-)

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Almost on schedule...

I've been wearing a Darien jacket and pants since April. I ride almost every day to work, and most days I wear the Darien pants and a mesh (non-Aerostich) jacket. Aerostich told me the Darien gear would breathe, but it really doesn't IMO. Yes, it's Goretex-lined, etc., etc., but on warmer days the pants can get hot (although not as hot as non-Goretex gear) and the jacket isn't the most comfortable.

In rain or on cooler days (like this morning -- 47 degrees) the Darien jacket is it. I haven't had the Darien gear on in cold weather yet but I'm sure it will be fine as my winter suit, with their fleece liner (included with the Darien jacket).

I went with black pants and gray jacket so I could (as wcarter mentioned) walk into a store, restaurant, bank, etc., and not get weird looks. If you're into maximum conspicuity, Aerostich offers several colors (including a hi-viz yellow) as you probably already know.

I went to Aerostich to see if I wanted the Roadcrafter or Darien. Going in, I was sure it was going to be a Roadcrafter. I really, really like the one-piece Roadcrafter concept, and if money was no object I would have that AND a set of Darien gear... and a couple of BMW suits also!

I think it was Jim Sciullo (and others) in a similar thread who told me the reason they liked the Darien so well was because of its versatility. I'd have to agree with that. The suit isn't the most comfortable, but it's built with quality and protects well.

Finally, regarding the cost: they cost the same as a BMW suit of similar quality/features, and the same as other brands. You can spend more (Motoport, I think, is very expensive); Yukka is very spendy, also. As I've read on this site, good gear is a lot less expensive than a skin graft.

Why not meet up with someone who is your size and who has the Aerostich gear? Give the gear a try and see what you think. You're welcome to try mine if that works for you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Sep 12th, 2007 at 9:05 pm.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 13th, 2007, 5:49 am Thread Starter

Darien it is

Thanks to all who gave me insight into the darien jacket and pants. I decided to buy them. jacket was worn 8 times and pants were never worn. My friend wears the roadcrafter all the time. He is letting me have the set , jacket, liner and pants for $300. After the reviews you guys gave on the product, how could I turn it down.

Again thanks

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 13th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Thanks to all who gave me insight into the darien jacket and pants. I decided to buy them. jacket was worn 8 times and pants were never worn. My friend wears the roadcrafter all the time. He is letting me have the set , jacket, liner and pants for $300. After the reviews you guys gave on the product, how could I turn it down.

Again thanks
Geez, that's a steal... essentially, approx. 2/3 off MSRP, possibly more if there were any alterations or customizations done to it. Even if you wear it a few months and want to switch you can sell it. Well done.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in