helmet susuggestion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

helmet susuggestion

I have a nonloan n102.I seam to ride with helmet flipped up most of time.so i was thinking about getting a arai classic c (no face shield) or classic sz/c (with flipup face sheild) what do you guys think cant make up my mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 10:22 pm

might wanna look at the scorpion exo 100, too...has a nifty flip down shield

http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products.../Model/EXO-100

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:12 pm

I hope you don't take offense with this but, it's more than just foolish to ride without the most protection you can get. I cringe everytime I hear someone talking about wearing less protection. I did extensive research to finally convince my motor unit to switch to full face, modular helmets a couple of years ago. We were wearing the traditional half shells most cops tend to wear. One of the studies I relied on suggested that approximately 60% of motorcycle crashes occur with the rider striking the lower left portion of the face, the jaw area. Wearing an open face helmet would offer little, if any, protection.

I'm not going to continue preaching to you but you asked what we think and IMO, save your money, lower and lock your chinbar on that Nolan. Reconstuctive facial surgery can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you must buy a new helmet, the new Shoei multitec is very nice. You also might want to read the warning and safety information that came with your Nolan. I can't think of any rider, industry person or motorcycle associates that advise riding with the chinbar up on modular helmets, other than at a stoplight or pulling into get gas. It's just plain ignorant.

Brian

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:19 pm

webbikeworld

check out webbikeworld for its helmet reviews. then decide.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 6:29 am

Thats an great idea! I probably cruise that website a couple times per week. I purchased a modular helmet based on what I read there but not happy with it once I got it. Certainly not the websites fault. It's always hard to tell if a helmet works for you unless you can try it on first. I submitted a review. Nice folks at webbikeworld, if you can't find motorcycle stuff there your just not looking hard enough. BTW, I use the helmet for teaching, it's not suitable for anything more than parking lot duties.

Also, if you're considering an AGV Miglia modular helmet, don't waste your money.

Brian
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:23 am

Adding to that, half helmets, even many three-quarter helmets have the added "bonus" of secondary impact risk. i.e., while they may provide reasonably adequate protection for the back of your head on the initial person-to-road impact, they carry a risk of being displaced on your head in the process, and when you "bounce" and then strike the asphalt/road surface a second and subsequent times, the helmet that has moved position often is not covering the brainstem/cerebellum area that is so anatomically critical.

For clarification sake, my post above was meant as a "if you are exercising your right to choose lesser protection, you might want to include this model in your comparison," and NOT a recommendation for anything less than a full-face helmet (modular or standard full-face helmet).

(As a side note, my personal protective gear used to include a half helmet and a 3/4 police helmet, now is exclusively full-face and one modular helmet because of crash data I have read.)

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 9:41 am

I would wear a full face helmet if it was illegal to wear! My first helmet was an open face, and I hated getting hit in the face by bugs, rain, pebbles, whathaveyou. Been wearing full face helmets ever since. Was involved in an accident 6 years ago, got some terrible road rash on my arms, my (cheap) helmet and visor was scratched to heck, but I did not even have a headache.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:02 am

I"ve owned several Aria SZ/M (I'd recommend the M for better venting) open face/flip shield helmets and I still own 2 of them. I plan to buy another soon as one of those is getting old and nasty.

I love those things and wore them for years and 100k miles before getting the corsair. I only wear my corsair full cov on the road and it took me a long time to get that into my head and get used to being closed up in that thing. But the corsair is a great helmet. And its a must on my K1200S since there is little wind protection.

Back to open face...I've had golf-ball sized ashphalt wads' hit me in the shield at high speed and not even leaving a mark.

I use the open face for commuting in the city to work and some of the LTC rides if they are local (did 250 miles 2-up on sat with my SZ/M in AZ).

It is my helmet of choice depending on conditions and the ride I'm taking.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the information. I knew that when I weighed in on the helmet issue that it would generate some responses. I would suggest that those of you that insist on wearing anything less than a full face helmet on every ride, all the time, do a little research on your own. Believe it or not, the freeway is the safest place to ride a motorcycle and if you're trying to match your helmet to the ride you're on, you're fooling yourself. You indicate that you "wear your open face" for commuting, this is exactly the environment where you need the MOST protection.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of a "perfect environment", devoid of substantial risks, where I would even consider wearing an open face or worse, a half shell.

To each his own of course but for me it's, all the gear, all the time. We have a saying in the law enforcement community- "who do we trust? nobody!". The same holds true for us riders when it comes to car drivers, we can't afford the luxury of trust with any of them. If you want to trust something, trust your training and equipment.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

thanks for setting me straight about wearing a fullface helmet and chin bar down when riding. I orded a shoei multitec today.I also should wear my jacket more often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in