for the safety minded gaget junkie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:52 am Thread Starter

for the safety minded gaget junkie

So which one of you have bought one of these already?

http://www.reevu.com/rv.asp

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:20 pm

Wasn't there a line in one of the old "Cannonball Run" movies that went something like "Whats-a behind me is not my problem"

Seriously, I think the mirrors on the LT work fine. Besides, if I had a helmet like that, most of the time all I'd see is my wife - sleeping.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:21 pm

Garage
Looks like a great idea! I wonder how much of the top-case of the LT would block the view?

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:31 pm

i bought some little mirrors and stuck them to the outer edge of my bike mirrors.
the little mirrors i bought have a large radius on them and allow you to see if anything is in the blind spot of the original mirrors.
mind you i also achieve the same thing by turning my head and chacking whats coming before changing lanes.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
Looks like a great idea! I wonder how much of the top-case of the LT would block the view?
I think the top of the helemt would be higher than the tour pack no problem

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:01 pm

webBikeWorld did a review...

Hey FYI webBikeWorld did a review on this helmet:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/reevu/

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:16 pm

Whilst not exactly on tmgs's thread of the helmet, I find this thread interesting since I had an accident recently and find myself having difficulty doing my 'over the shoulder life saver' as often as I should and relying more on the mirrors. I find the mirrors on the LT a lot lower than I'm used to on other bikes. I have been tryin to find a solution and came up with the idea of trying to find a rear facing 'lipstick' video cam, which in itself is no problem, but finding out if it can be connected to a monitor without going through some sort of video device first, puzzles me. Also trying to find a small 3,4,5" colour monitor that is waterproof seems to be impossible, even in boating circles. The helmet link looks interesting, but I wonder just how steady the image would be compared to a fixed cam. Any suggestions or hints would be helpfull. I'm not looking to record, just view, a bit like a truck reversing aid, but with a small colour waterproof monitor. I just know you guru's will know the answer
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:57 pm

Just go to the Spy Store.

Surely there's one in your area.

They have little color 12Vcams real cheap. and you can get a 7" LCD monitor at any Ghetto stereo shop.. a quick ram mount and your'e there..OOH, a Spyder mount....yea, that's the ticket....

I think I'll build it... I already have all the parts..

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 7:29 am

Mirrors on the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
Whilst not exactly on tmgs's thread of the helmet, I find this thread interesting since I had an accident recently and find myself having difficulty doing my 'over the shoulder life saver' as often as I should and relying more on the mirrors. I find the mirrors on the LT a lot lower than I'm used to on other bikes. I have been tryin to find a solution and came up with the idea of trying to find a rear facing 'lipstick' video cam, which in itself is no problem, but finding out if it can be connected to a monitor without going through some sort of video device first, puzzles me. Also trying to find a small 3,4,5" colour monitor that is waterproof seems to be impossible, even in boating circles. The helmet link looks interesting, but I wonder just how steady the image would be compared to a fixed cam. Any suggestions or hints would be helpfull. I'm not looking to record, just view, a bit like a truck reversing aid, but with a small colour waterproof monitor. I just know you guru's will know the answer
A simpler (and cheaper?) solution if the holes are still available may be to add auxilliary mirrors on the handlebars in the empty holes in the control clusters. I purchased my 2005 LT used (4800 mi) and the previous owner had added these (I think they are from another K1200 model). I originally didn't like them, and was going to remove them. However, I have since come to like them a lot, as in addition to being "where I expect them" from previous motorcycles, having two sets of mirrors opens more possibilities.

The stock mirrors are tighter into the body, so I keep these pointed "straight back". The one on the left is partially obscured by the antenna, but what I am looking for is the view straight back and low on both sides. The upper ones are naturally higher, and seem to offer a wider view. I keep these adjusted a bit wider and this gives me a better view of adjacent lanes.

Just something to think about! I can post pics if you want.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:22 am

'Besides, if I had a helmet like that, most of the time all I'd see is my wife - sleeping.'

It would also make it hard to pretend you didn't know the trail of sparks coming from under the bike in the twisties was waking her up.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
Whilst not exactly on tmgs's thread of the helmet, I find this thread interesting since I had an accident recently and find myself having difficulty doing my 'over the shoulder life saver' as often as I should and relying more on the mirrors. I find the mirrors on the LT a lot lower than I'm used to on other bikes.
"Quick scan pro" mirrors from Saeng corp. Small convex mirrors that attach to each side of the windshield at eye level. Great little items.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 10:46 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
I played with one of these at the Long Beach bike show. It was an interesting idea but could be distracting on the real road. You really need to buy it and play with it for awhile....

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #13 of 13 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 7:20 am

Lightbulb

One potential drawback could be accommodation from distance to near vision. When our eyes adjust there is a lag time. The images in the mirror are extremely close. The presbiopic rider will be at risk. I know if I had this helmet I would continue to look before changing lanes. They need to have a flip design for me. No doubt good stuff.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in