Installed tail lights on the E52 Givi - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

Installed tail lights on the E52 Givi

I just installed the tail lights on the E52 Givi top case. Everything went pretty smoothly. I tied the tail lights into the pair of wires on one of the existing tail light bulbs, and it seems to work fine.

I saw a post that said the lights on the Givi tail light assembly are LEDs. They're not, unfortunately. They're little incandescents. LEDs would last a little longer and pull less current, but these lights don't seem to be causing a problem, although I read somewhere that Givi says they'll burn out if they're on all the time.

If anyone knows of an LED replacement, that'd be cool, but I'll stick with what's working until it doesn't anymore. Just wanted to post a thank you to the forum. I wouldn't have tried this if I had read of other's success.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Can I replace incandescents on Give brake light with LEDs?

I'm just curious. Has anyone tried to replace the incandescents on the Givi tail light assembly with white LEDs?

Maybe this is a silly thing to do, but reading reports about the pressure connector on the topcase not being able to handle the "constant on" current (which I don't get. Tail lights are always on on a motorcycle, at least in the US), I thought LEDs might be easier on the electrical system.

I'm not getting any fault indications, but since my wife can solder these things pretty easily, I'm thinking about it and would like feedback.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Last edited by Bobnoxous; Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Can I replace incandescents on Give brake light with LEDs?
post #3 of 8 Old May 9th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Re: Installed tail lights on the E52 Givi

At TwistedThrottle they sell the Admore Lighting LED kit for the E52. They have two versions available, one if you don't have the original Givi light kit and one if you do. It's expensive but I think LEDs would work better and draw less power. You can get more info at http://www.admorelighting.com/.

This is the route I am planning for my new '08 RT (which hasn't arrived yet).

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic

post #4 of 8 Old May 13th, 2008, 8:32 pm

A few years ago I installed a set of those brake lights on Givi 52 L. top box. The tiny push on connector for each board provided very poor connection to the 6 light circuit board. Both board connections looked really weak especially once compressed into mounted position............. so I cut them off and soldered directly to the board using a sharpened point on a 30 watt pencil iron. It worked well and mounting then was very easy.
Last month I did another set for another friend and hoped that Givi would have redesigned this weak point (or who ever made the kit) .............. not. So once again I carefully cut and soldered. It would be nice if those bulbs were LED's but that twin pack of incandescents they provided really light up when you touch those brakes! Both of these sets had a twin pac of 6 bulbs each and would not be any problem for current draw once the board connection connector is eliminated. The instructions were 95% Italian................ so perhaps they were genuine Givi. Note my view is not for the dual intensity tail/brake light units that are also available.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 17th, 2008, 10:15 am

Was this on the stock (incandescent) Givi brake light set or the AdMoreLighting.com LED brake/turn signal set?

Thanks,
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #6 of 8 Old May 18th, 2008, 10:47 am

OB,
(Incandescents)

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #7 of 8 Old May 18th, 2008, 11:09 am Thread Starter

My tail lights don't work anymore on the Givi. I haven't spent anytime tracing down the problem. Maybe it's that pressure connector on the topcase. Sigh.

I was thinking it shouldn't be too hard to rig up my own LED light kit. LEDs are cheap; I'm not sure why the kit from Admore is so expensive. There are two voltage levels coming into the assembly, so by using a comparator, we could switch in more LEDs when the brakes are pressed. It might be fun to play with.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:04 pm

FYI I installed the Admore Lighting LED kit for the Givi E52 top case and it works like a charm! I used the GPS/accessory connector at the front of the bike to power the switched lead on my fuse panel/relay. No issues with the CANbus electronics.

Regards,
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in