2-Up Packing Suggestions for a 9 Day Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

2-Up Packing Suggestions for a 9 Day Ride

I've scanned all the Forums and it looks like nobody has asked this question yet so I'm going to ask it. I'm planning a ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2 weeks and I'm taking my newly acquired 2005 K1200LT. I've been packing my HD Ultra Classic successfully for years but now I'm taking the BMW 2-up. There is a difference in packing space. Does anyone out there have a true and tested packing list and packing method for the LT?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 9:40 pm

I've learned to not pack for 9 days. I pack for 3 or 4 max, wash & start over. That way a 3 or 4 day trip is the same as a 20 day trip. Another thing is sense I started wearing "riding gear" I pack way less.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 9:46 pm

Cool

It is usually a challenge to load it for two up. You didn't say if you are camping or not. Without camping, you can plan on three days of clothing for each of you, and wash often. A number of folks have extra bags that hang in various places, like over the saddle bags, also a rack bag and tank bag are essential. If you have a trailer hitch, various racks can be configured to hold an extra bag, it is suggested that you limit weight to 20#'s. I usually give Miss E the topcase and rack bag, I use the left saddlebag. The right bag has tools, bike cover, rain gear and windshield cleaner. Also what I find essential is compression sacks, you can get them at camping supply stores. You can place clothing in one and then pull compression straps, it makes the package smaller than when you started. I also have one for bike cover, rain gear, which makes it about the size of a loaf of bread.

Well I hope this starts you on your way, it is a learning process.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:36 pm

The key is to rethink "packing" to "duration". You may even consider mailing dirty clothes home and buy new...

1- transfer liquids to smaller bottles.. just enough for the trip... or tolerate the stuff in the motels.
2- carry one change of top clothes- wash after changing, hang over shower rod..
3- wear "riding pants" on top and sport shorts underneath... bike shorts best.. easy to dry. You can also zip out of riding pants and be cooler.
4- Synthetics.. easy to wash, dry...
5- bicycle socks/shorts thin, wick away moisture.. easy to pack/rinse out
6- wear bandanna/cap to cover head. (don't think about the coif..)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The trick is to learn to take what you need, not necessarily what you want. And the Post Office is your friend. If you find you don't need something, or you want to buy something on the road, just mail it home.

We found that having a trunk rack bag for lighter items sure helped. We bought a Kathy's K1200LT Rack Sack and used it for rain gear, heavy gloves, maps, etc. The kind of stuff that is light and that you may need quick access to. Note that having gear that is waterproof in itself helps to save space, but I also carry electric jacket and pants liners at all times which now takes up the rain gear space.

Dayle's pretty good at packing for the bike now. I just give her a case liner, and tell her that's how much room she has. We usually also both carry laptops, so that limits our packing space somewhat. But it can be done if you're smart about it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:05 am

Rider gear plus spare jeans and sneakers and pack for 3 days as suggested. I take one pannier and the boss takes the other - the bigger one! Don't forget swimwear. The topbox holds bulky items such as shoes and over-trousers for when it rains. We wear Draggin Jeans to ride and find them comfortable in all weathers except extreme heat. The tankbag is reserved for maps, phone, tickets, camera, passports, bike papers and maybe some snacks for en route. Needless to say, when we stop the tankbag is always carried with us!

If you're planning a route that will take you through extremes of heat/cold, consider the charity shops. You can pick up a warm sweater for a couple of bucks and when you don't need it any more give it to the next charity shop.

I find it's not clothing that's the problem but all the other bits and pieces we take that make the journey easy and fun. I don't take my laptop with me to load up the satnav otherwise I'd never figure out where to stash all the cables! Just take extra SD/XD cards with other maps loaded if necessary. A bottle opener/corkscrew and a good knife are key items, and a roll of electrician's tape - you'd be amazed how many fixes that stuff will perform even temporarily. We also carry a small chopping board - useful for slicing up baguettes, fruit, etc. and makes a good plate for roadside stops. SWMBO always carries a small pack of kleenex 'for personal reasons'.....
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 6:17 am

SPACE BAGS they work great,just buy the good ones they will last a long time,ill say you can pack 1/3 more stuff maybe more
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
SPACE BAGS they work great,just buy the good ones they will last a long time,ill say you can pack 1/3 more stuff maybe more
Yep, although I just bought the ones Target carries, and they worked fine. Smushed all my clothes down. We did a 10 day trip last month on an RT, no camping, downsized from a GL1800.

Microfiber shirts/underwear help both in space needs and comfort. We both wear full riding suits on the bike, the jacket liner doubles as rain and warmth for hiking. We both had street (running) shoes, shorts, long pants, books, a laptop, toiletries, etc. I used the top box, SWMBO got both side cases, worked out fine. Oh, and a small tank bag which is convertible to a day pack for hikes (we were in Colorado, primarily a hiking trip).
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 2:04 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

This is another option take all you want and then some
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics_049.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	13692  

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:41 am

9 Day Ride

We have been real challenged to pack for 2 up after decades on on a HD Ultra. Way less room on the LT. I hope it is one of the things fixed on the next generation LT. 2 or 3 days max for us, and no tools. Tool kit takes up too much room. We have also mailed clothes to our destination if we were going to stay there a few days, then mailed back the dirty. On two week trips, we were fortunate to have a friend with a trailer who let us put a couple of bags in it. I just don't see the LT as a good touring bike for two up for long trips because of that one issue. Everything else is sweet.

Ultra LT
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 3:04 pm

I guess that Cindy and I have never been spoiled with the room on a HD so we just packed what we needed for 4 days and washed it every 4 or5 days (usually two loads). We did wash our riding gear a couple of times during our last 20 day trip (Dallas->DC->Savanah->Dallas lots of stops in-between). We had extra space until we started buying things along the way, so every 4 or 5 days we shipped stuff home. We ended shipping back stuff that we had packed but didn't use. We weren't camping that would have made it difficult. We both wear riding gear that doubles as raingear with a liner, and is very warm with the liner if you need a warm jacket.

Right-Saddle bag - Tools, rain liner,cover, etc that always on the bike, and ipod replaced the CD Changer.
Left-Saddle bag - any heavy clothes, shoes, liquids etc (Cindy)
Topbox - my cloths, laptop, and light stuff that we might need. (Cindy & Me)
Rackbag - Cindys clothes and all that stuff that she really needs (Cindy)
Tankbag - Camera and everything else you need to get to.

We make sure that we put anything heavy down in the saddle bags.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Ditto the 4 days worth & wash, mail items home as you aquire a trinket or two & dirty clothes not needed. Smaller bottles for liquids (sample size dop kit items) , I also started using a strap that Helen Twowheels sells that lays under the rear seat and has a double ring and strap that hangs down into each side bag when not using it. We used it tp lash aerostitch pants or a liner for a Darien etc just above the side bag when to hot to be wearing, worked great.

2005 K1200LT (Graphite w/gray)
2007 R1200GSA
1979 Vespa 100
1982 Honda Passport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in