Shoei Multitec Steal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
was

Shoei Multitec Steal

I missed out on the group buy of the Shoei Multitec, and since then have decided that I need a new lid and that the Multitec sounds like the best of the modulars. I've been to 4 dealers (only one of which was BMW), was willing to try to support a local dealer, 2 of them did not have a Multitec in size large ("we can order it for you"), one did but not in white ("we can order it for you"), one did not carry a Multitec at all even though it had other Shoei helmets. Garn, I tried. Surfing the web, came across a post in an ST forum for www.Parts411.com and a special "phone code." Went to the site, which briefly displays a screen that says "We have to list the manufacturers suggested retail price" and then jumped to the home page before I could read more. Navigated to Helmets, chose Full Face since there was nothing to choose for modular, then clicked on Shoei, and finally the Multitec - Solids section. List price for a white size L was $482.99, and "Your Price" was $482.99. However there was a "Phone Code" 338.0000. I tried to fill out the on-line order form with the phone code in the "Coupons" space - no joy. So I called the toll free number (877)484-4860, gave the guy the item number (Item #01-112-HH) for a white large, said that I had seen the phone code and wanted to know about discount from list price, and within 45 seconds he verified that a white Multitec in size large was in stock and would ship for free at a cost of $338.00. I immediately started the order process, always expecting something like "handling on that will be $640," "oops, turns out we are out of stock, but do I have another deal for you," "do you want to order the faceshield, chin strap, and interior pads, they do not come with the item," but at the end of the order process he verified a charge to me of $338.00 and said the item would ship tomorrow. I'll let you know when I get it if the logo really says "Shoie" and the tag says "Made in China."

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:39 pm

uh, how the hell can it not come with a chin strap, face shield and inner pads? I sure hope that means "extra chin strap, face shield and inner pads" because the one I got, and the three people I personally know who got 'em all had those items attached.

FWIW, if you call the dealer from the original deal (say THAT ten times fast) I bet they will give you a price close, if this place hoses ya.

Also FWIW, I have fingers crossed that you not only get what you have ordered, but you are thrilled with it.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 23 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:21 am Thread Starter
was

Thanks for the good wishes, Pete. And I wasn't very clear in my post, the helmet actually does come with the face shield, chin strap, pads, etc. It was just that as I was going thru the order process I kept expecting some sort of surprise that would jack up the price, but the surprise never came. I'll let you know if there is a surprise when I open the box and try it on (the helmet, that is, not the box .

Bill
Guilford, CT

Last edited by was; Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:22 am. Reason: clarify

post #4 of 23 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:31 pm

I can tell you that the group buy from Chicago Performance at $385 is still good, or was as of two weeks ago when I ordered mine. I got the White Metallic, or whatever its called, in 2XL for that price, delivered.

If the $338 price turns out to be the real deal, I'll be ordering another MultiTec from them!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 23 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 9:17 am Thread Starter
was

Helmet has arrived

The helmet I ordered on 8/7 arrived this morning, 8/11. Being of a suspicious nature, when I order something for a price that seems too good to be true I try to document the item with photos when it arrives. Here's the deal on the Multitec:

Good packaging for shipment.

Manufacturer's box, which did not appear to have been opened.

Inside the manufacturer's box is

The outer bag for the helmet is a little strange in that some seams are visible on the outside, other seams are on the inside of the bag. Not sure if this is a manufacturing error.

Inside the outer bag there is a white inner bag. This is not made of paper, it appears to be some kind of microfiber.

At last we get to the helmet itself.
Front view:

Rear view:

Flipped:

The finish was flawless, on close inspection I could find no defects in the paint job. The flip mechanism worked easily and smoothly, the unlock tab to open the chinbar was easy to move and use, and when the chinbar closes it locks with an audible "clunk." (Not unlike the LT tranny, now that I think of it, but not as loud.) The padding and it's covering inside the helmet had no flaws that I could find. The helmet fits my head very well and is quite confortable. There are large openings for the ears, channels in the padding for sliding eyeglasses arms back to and over the ears, comfortable padding on top, and cheek pads that actually reach my cheeks (I've got a narrow face). The faceshield takes a good push to move it out the fully closed position, then moves past every detent smoothly and easily. I've been wearing the helmet now for over an hour in the house, still very comfortable for my head shape, no hotspots.

A plastic bag attached to the chinstrap contained

I'm a very happy camper at this point. I can find no evidence that would make me suspect that this is a "knockoff" or a "factory second." Now I gotta go test it out on a nice long ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outer box.JPG
Views:	1454
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	13640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Box.JPG
Views:	1415
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	13641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet Outer Bag.JPG
Views:	1452
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	13642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Packing.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	13643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Bag.JPG
Views:	1472
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	13644  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet Front.JPG
Views:	1474
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	13645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet Rear.JPG
Views:	1475
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet front flipped.JPG
Views:	1441
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	13647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastic Bag.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	13648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contents Plastic Bag.JPG
Views:	1424
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	13649  

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #6 of 23 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 9:27 am

The SHOEI MultiTec I received from Chicago Performance DID NOT include the microfiber bag, manuals, stickers, or chin spoiler that cam in your box. Sounds like it is time for a telephone call to them to find out what they did with the rest of my property.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 23 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
The SHOEI MultiTec I received from Chicago Performance DID NOT include the microfiber bag, manuals, stickers, or chin spoiler that cam in your box. Sounds like it is time for a telephone call to them to find out what they did with the rest of my property.
Hi Tony,
Yeah, you should call. The two helmets that I purchased through the group buy came with all the stuff shown in Bill's photos.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Premium Vendor

Thanks for the heads up. They are only 14 miles from my house.I'll swing by next week and check them out. The cheapest that I found was $350 on ebay. All sizes all colors available with a $20 bill for shipping. Glad you got a good deal.

Tony 05
post #9 of 23 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:30 am

Thanks also for the "heads up" on this deal. I just ordered mine and was told they had to raise the price $9.00 to $347.00 with free shipping.

Still it is one heck of a deal.....the local dealer wants $500.00 for one and HelmetHarbor has them listed for $446.00.

Thanks again Bill.

regards
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:12 am
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Thanks also for the "heads up" on this deal. I just ordered mine and was told they had to raise the price $9.00 to $347.00 with free shipping.

Still it is one heck of a deal.....the local dealer wants $500.00 for one and HelmetHarbor has them listed for $446.00.

Thanks again Bill.

regards
I just ordered on line and got the $338 price. When you add to the shopping cart and go to check out it will ask for a coupon code enter 30mn51,got it from their order desk operator. Still free shipping on orders over $99. Thanks again for the link WAS.

Tony 05
post #11 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGKILLER
I just ordered on line and got the $338 price. When you add to the shopping cart and go to check out it will ask for a coupon code enter 30mn51,got it from their order desk operator. Still free shipping on orders over $99. Thanks again for the link WAS.

Guess I should have ordered online. Oh well...I can live with the 9 dollar difference.

resp,
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:26 pm

My MultiTec helmet was delivered today. I received everything Bill did except the white microfiber inner bag. The helmet is brand new and not a "knock-off".

Even thou I wasn't planning on replacing my current flip-face helmet until next year, I'm glad I could get such a deal on this Shoei.

regards
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:14 pm
Premium Vendor

Hey guys just an update. I picked up my Shoei Multitec at Parts411. They are only a few miles from my house. They are in an industrial park just off of the 57 freeway and Arrow Hwy in San Dimas. They had a small retail store out front with various helmets,gadgets, performance exhausts etc..Looks to be more of a parts broker via the internet than retail. The Helmet was new in the box as listed here before. Great buy at $338 plus tax.No discounts for picking it up at the store. I priced a set of Avon Storms while there. The front tire for the LT is $93 and the rear is $114. $70 to mount and balance both. $277 total. Sweet deal.

Tony 05
post #14 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:42 pm

The Real Deal

I just ordered my multiec tonight. $338 to my front door in 3 days.
Great Deal!!
post #15 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:47 am
Premium Vendor

Hey Guys,Has anyone installed speakers and mic in a Shoei Multitec? It didn't occur to me that it would be a problem since my Z II had a liner that pulled out and the rear head liner had plenty of room to tuck in wires. The Multitec is hard foam all the way to the base edge of the helmet leaving no room anywhere for wires. There are also no tuck and roll style seams inside to route wires. Looks like cutting the liner is the only option . I contacted Shoei tech support and there response was"WE do not do any of this type of work,I recommend contacting Autocom"

Tony 05
post #16 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Tony, try this:

http://www.autocomamerica.com/files/...s_Multitec.pdf

Quote:
Hey Guys,Has anyone installed speakers and mic in a Shoei Multitec? It didn't occur to me that it would be a problem since my Z II had a liner that pulled out and the rear head liner had plenty of room to tuck in wires. The Multitec is hard foam all the way to the base edge of the helmet leaving no room anywhere for wires. There are also no tuck and roll style seams inside to route wires. Looks like cutting the liner is the only option . I contacted Shoei tech support and there response was"WE do not do any of this type of work,I recommend contacting Autocom"

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The CARDO TeamRider headset with mic doesn't get nearly close enough to the mouth. I still need to look at it some more, but it doesn't look good. The flipdown also ends up too close to the mouth, even if the boom was longer. That's the position CARDO wants you to use their mic, directly in front of your mouth. Headphone speakers mount beautifully into the ear indents. I don't even use velcro.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Excellent,That is exactly what I was looking for. It's a bit spooky to drive a screw driver in there.It's pretty tight. Thanks a million.

Tony 05
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 3:13 pm

Parts411.com

Hi all,

You've now found out what I've known for 4 years. In 2003 I bought a Kawasaki ZX-12R (I just bought a K1200LT last month to keep it company when I don't ride) and started "personalizing" the bike right away.

I found www.parts411.com online then and have bought (sometimes large orders) from them many times.

Nothing but fantastic prices and great service. Everything I've purchased from them is genuine. And every time I've had a problem with the order (ALWAYS my fault), they took care of it fast, friendly and easy.

My girlfriend's son just bought his first bike and asked me where to shop for stuff. The first words out of my mouth were parts411.com - it just popped into my head!

I AM IN NO WAY affiliated with these guys, I just found them on the net years ago by search engine and they've been great.

FEEL GOOD about your deal. Both the helmet and the deal are real.

BTW - for the 12, they charge $4.00 less than anyone else for spark plugs - EACH!!

And they've matched any price I've found. Because I trust them and I don't trust a lot of others, I always give them the last shot at matching a price.

m
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 3:50 pm

How is the Fit??

I went to a local Honda shop and all their accessories were damaged by an asbestos insulation cave in - they lost everything. I have not had a chance to get anywhere else.

The only fitting helmets for me are Shoei ( big XL round melon head) all other modulars (Nolan, Justimo(sp)....) basically touch my chin or are right up on it. How is the room in the chin area. I would like to check them out but any other dealer who currently has them is a piece away (not a great riding area either). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Swamprat

06 KLT
02 LTC w/hannigan - sold
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500E - sold and my butt still hurts
86 Yamaha 1100 Virago (what a machine) - sold
80Yamaha 650 Maxim (from cradle to grave 72K)
75 Suzuki 400
75 Bultaco 250 MX
post #21 of 23 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat
I went to a local Honda shop and all their accessories were damaged by an asbestos insulation cave in - they lost everything. I have not had a chance to get anywhere else.

The only fitting helmets for me are Shoei ( big XL round melon head) all other modulars (Nolan, Justimo(sp)....) basically touch my chin or are right up on it. How is the room in the chin area. I would like to check them out but any other dealer who currently has them is a piece away (not a great riding area either). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
The HJC SyMax (not CL) is also shaped for those of us that need a little more room front to back. Other than the Shoei Multitec, RF800 and RF1000, this is the only other one I found that had enough room.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #22 of 23 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 5:04 pm

I've been a Arai Signet 3XL forever -- today I tried on a Multitec 2XL and it fit pefect -- so I'm asking J&M if their set up will go into the Shoei ; BTSOOM
post #23 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2007, 7:39 am

OK Just to set the rumors to rest. I ordered a new Shoie Multitec XL last friday... Showed up at the house thursday. All the parts (pads ect) .. Helmet bag to boot.... Great deal.
$347.00 delivered.
These "other" stores sure have them marked up.....

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in