Faceshield fogging, no problem. Faceshield freezing, problem. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Faceshield fogging, no problem. Faceshield freezing, problem.

Since I got my LT I'm compelled to take it to work everyday. The weather has been declining and when I get out at midnight it's usually below freezing. I'm pretty well protected with the heated amenities but my faceshield gets frosted thereby rendering it useless. I can flip it up and it's gone in less then a minute but the cycle continues for my whole ride home.
What's the best way to prevent this? I can't imagine there's anything that can be applied but is there a venting technique or similar?
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

The obvious is to not breath, but that does not work so well after about a minute.

I have had the same problem and I just leave the face shield slightly cracked open. If you go on a long enough ride, everything will equalize in time. I suggest keeping your helmet in the house or at work so it is not cold. This will keep the water from condensing.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Tried the not breathing and you are right, it didn't work
I was thinking of a dust mask type setup to divert my breath, but that might cause a SARS scare
The helmet stays in my trunk so it's not a case of warming and thawing. Just the darn condensate building on the inside of the shield.
BTW, I wear a Nolan N-41 classic plus. 3/4 helmet with flip up shield. Wonder if a fullface is the answer?

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:46 pm

This used to be an issue for me before I got my Nolan full-face flip-up in '04. The helmet has an excellent breath deflector (for lack of a better term), and it's anti-fog system works flawlessly, as well. So long as you keep both shields clean. I don't think you're going to remedy your current situation, barring the 'stop breathing' approach.

HTH
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 1:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Ed,

Google for Fog City visor insert. I used those a lot in Wales, and they were good for about a full season before needing to be replaced due to cleaning and scratches. They work so well that the covered part of the shield stays clear while the rest of the shield fogs up around it.

I know that A&S carries them here, as well as many other places.

You could also look at breath deflectors, but those are usually designed to attach to the chin bar of a full face or flip-up helmet.

Or just take the cage if it gets too cold.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Smile

Im with meese on this one. I have been using fog city visor insert for years, they are the best thing since beer in a bottle.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
I can't imagine there's anything that can be applied?
You can laugh about the name, but this stuff works and is not expensive:

http://www.catcrap.com/

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:43 am

Thumbs up Fogged Visors

FOG CITY is the way to go!!!!

I've installed them in all (6) of my Helmets Visor's and they WORK GREAT!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:04 am

A product similar to Fog City is the PinLock http://www.pinlockusa.com/ They make complete replacement shields with the PinLock already installed for Shoei and HJC as well as do it yourself kits for any face shield application. You can also just buy a shield with the pins installed in case you have damaged the visor and the PinLock is still good. I use a microfiber cleaning cloth on the interior PinLock surface and it looks like new after more than a year of daily usage and 20k miles.

I had major fogging/frosting problems I couldn't get rid of until I went this route. I tried most of the "solutions" advertised out there with the exception of CatCrap and the various breath diverters. The last time I looked into breath diverters they didn't make a solution for modular helmets and it didn't look like intercom systems were very compatible with them either. Maybe they have newer products to handle these issues or maybe these issues are not a concern for your situation.

Fog City or the PinLock are the best solutions I have found for my application. On the plus side mechanical solutions like the breath diverters, Fog City and PinLock, you don't have to worry if your last application of the "wonder solution" is still good. They work every time unless they have been damaged in some way. On the minus side they are the most expensive solutions, unless you want to go the tracheotomy route .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am now using Palmolive dish soap (original formula). Clean inner surface and dry. Apply large drop on finger and spread full strength over the interior surface. Let sit and then buff out with dry paper towel - do not rinse. Works well for about a week then re- apply. Smells pretty good too. Life time supply for $1.98!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Re: Faceshield fogging, no problem. Faceshield freezing, problem.

Helmets with built-in anti-fog visor is widely distributed in the market today. It's just a little bit expensive though. There's also a product that is also similar to Fog City, the WeePro Anti-fog visor insert. The difference is that WeePro is much cheaper. I just recently bought it and it works perfectly fine. Even if I breath into the visor, it wouldn't fog at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in