Boot recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Cool Boot recommendations

Most motorcycle shops around me don't seem to have much to choose from in the way of boots. I'm looking to replace my current pair of Alpinestar boots and am looking for something that has a particularly grippy.

Being short, grip is important. My current boots slip on marginal surfaces much too easily. I also want something that's waterproof and wide that's easy to get in and out of; i.e., not lace-ups.

I'd appreciate recommendations and sources.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:57 am

I went to the sporting goods store and got me a pair of hiking boots. I was also looking for riding boots but couldn't find anything I wanted.
The hiking boots are very light and soft, ready for immediate day long wear, and thinsulated. The bottoms are VERY grippy and thick to accommodate walking on rocks. The tongues are sewn in which makes them totally waterproof and they have solid ankle support, important if you ever go down. Plus they are made with high quality materials.
Riding boots are $200+ while my boots were $50. If they wear out in short notice I can still get 3 more pair before I break even.
If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods local they have many different styles, well worth the trip IMO.
post #3 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:59 pm

I had three different boots over time, but by far the best were SIDI. I had the "City" boot, and they were extremely comfortable right out of the store. I wore them on several Iron Butt type rides, in a lot of rain, feet never got wet. They also had great grip.

A popular boot manufacturer on the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum was Red Wing, and they now also offer motorcycle specific boots. Check for a store near you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 1:14 pm

At the beginning of '05, I bought a pair of Diadora Freedom boots. I absolutely LOVE them! $100 for a pair of waterproof, comfortable, Kevlar-embedded boots . . . what a bargain! And with my size 12 foot, I cannot always get into a lot of motorcycle boots, but these were not a problem, and have only got better and better with time. YMMV
post #5 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 1:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
If you do get hiking boots, make sure that they have excellent ankle protection. I saw a guy go down last week wearing combat style boots, and the asphalt tore right through the fabric over his ankle bones and caused him road rash there. Make sure they have at least a leather cover over the ankles, or better yet a plastic or kevlar disk is the best way to go.

His jacket had a few tears, but no body damage, and his mesh pants got pretty trashed, but no damage to him there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 1:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Joe,

Do those boots zip up on the inside of the leg, and then the flap sticks down with velcro? My current pair open on the outside, which annoys me.

Also, I didn't see any mention of Kevlar on the link you provided. But if they fit my size 12's and are comfortable and absolutely waterproof, then I may have to pick up a pair.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 3:49 pm

Cool Diadora Boots

Ken, I have a pair of these boots and yes, they do zip up the inside with velcro flaps over the zippers. I have worn them more than my Sidi's for around town use and really am happy with them. They are waterproof, but I could have sworn I got a little damp one time in a heavy downpour. On later consideration I decided it could have just been perspiration due to the summer heat! Still not positive on the last item, but do love em!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Joe,

Do those boots zip up on the inside of the leg, and then the flap sticks down with velcro? My current pair open on the outside, which annoys me.

Also, I didn't see any mention of Kevlar on the link you provided. But if they fit my size 12's and are comfortable and absolutely waterproof, then I may have to pick up a pair.
Yep, zip up on the inside. I have yet to have them leak and have ridden in hundreds of miles of downpour in them. Awesome. They may get a little hot in extended 90+ degree weather. But I don't know if any good waterproof boot doesn't have this issue anyway.

I thought they had Kevlar at each ankle and in the front for shin protection...maybe it's not. But they sure are reinforced nicely in all crucial locations.

The ONLY negative I can find in the boot is that, due to the LT's limited ground clearance, I have worn the outsides of the soles horribly. I should just buy sliders for the outsides. I will on my next pair. I'm thinking of ordering a new pair this winter for the '06 riding season. At $99, why not?
post #9 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 5:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've been burned before with a pair that the magazines swore were waterproof. When my feet got wet, they went back immediately. If you guys who actually have winter swear by them, that's good enough for me.

I think I'll order a pair before Joe runs them out of size 47 BF (bigfoot).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Don't forget to add to my awesome reputation!

All of a sudden I feel like I'm asking (begging) for positive feedback, like on eBay.

post #11 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 6:27 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Don't forget to add to my awesome reputation!

All of a sudden I feel like I'm asking (begging) for positive feedback, like on eBay.

Joe don't beg.
LOL

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #12 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 6:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Only if I can add a few constructive comments, and then remain anonymous.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 37 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 7:08 pm

Well...you gotta do what you gotta do. All I know is I just ordered another pair of them boots. $99...a no-brainer! and, I got my little lady a pair of gloves while I was at it. Bought my first stocking stuffer!
post #14 of 37 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:21 am

I just wish I could buy an off the shelf moto boot, sigh. Feets are just too fat. I messed with Heliomot for 4 months sending boots back and forth before I quit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 37 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:26 am

Talking

Boy-o-boy! Swanzy called you lots of things. But "fat-footed" wasn't one of them!
post #16 of 37 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:30 am

I stumbled onto these http://www.muckbootcompany.com/produ...c79ee32bfe0d9c last week and bought a pair on eBay for approximately $82.00 delivered. I was needing a waterproof and extreme/cold boot that I could not find in a motorcycle specific boot. I should have them by next Wednesday and plan to ride up to New Jersey next Saturday for my first 'Polar Bear' run. I will report my findings up return home.

Hope this helps!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #17 of 37 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:02 am

I'll be interested to hear whether or not you can actually fit your toe under the shifter.
post #18 of 37 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:48 am

I bought my first pair of Sidi's early this year. When I tryed Sidi's on at a bike show years ago, i didn't think they would fit me well.

But, I saw the Evo Tempor (I think it is), nice dressy boots (I wear them to work and leave them on all day, office) with external armor in all the right places, don't look too squiddy, are waterproof and very light.

I swore by Alpinestars until I bought these boots. I wanted more "hard" protection. It is well worth it in a crash, I like my ankles just the way they are thank you.

Pricey, ya, about 220 bucks. I've had non-bikers ask me where I got them because they like the looks so much. Nice thing is, they have more protection than looks, both somewhat important if your wearing bike gear at work.

good luck, let us know what you end up with...geo
post #19 of 37 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:37 am

Quote:
Boy-o-boy! Swanzy called you lots of things. But "fat-footed" wasn't one of them!
His vocabulary has become quite vivacious, hasn't it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 37 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:46 am

Personally would not consider any other than Daytona
http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html
British motorcycle police use them.
If you need a bit more height try the M Star GTX
post #21 of 37 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Morton's BMW currently has a sale on BMW's Contour Plus boot ($200 including shipping vs. $300 regular price).

This boot conforms to the CE standard as much as any boot can (my understanding is that the final CE standard for boots is still being negociated). GorTex. Although it has laces, they use a quick-on quick-off fastener rather than requiring you to tie them.

http://www.mortonsbmw.com/
Look under the Parts/Access tab.
post #22 of 37 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 7:47 pm

boots

http://www.newenough.com/gaerne_st_dry_boots_page.htm

just got a pair of the gaerne st dry street boots, pretty comfy, a closeout special from new enough... 99$, velcro closure, feels like good "grippyness" on the bottom...

chris
post #23 of 37 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 7:54 pm

Those look VERY similar to my Diadora Freedom boots. Nice! If I hadn't just received my new pair of Diadora's two days ago, I might've been tempted to order those just to try something different. But I love the Diadoras, so I'm not too bummed...
post #24 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 5:50 pm

Thumbs up Diadora times Two

In addition to my pair of Freedom boots, I also bought the Diadora Express boot from Motorcycle Closeouts. They are a very comfortable leather halfboot with a more detailed tread pattern on the sole. Excellent for summer riding and also quite waterproof. The big bonus is that they fit like a quality hiking boot. You can spend all day in them walking around town as well as riding. Since it's a motorcycle boot from a quality company it slips in well with the shifter and is reinforced in all the right places. They are easy to get on and off yet the zipper and velchro hold your ankle tight. They look great with riding pants or those occasional times when you're wearing your jeans around town.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d...UCT_ID=50-7192

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #25 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 5:58 pm

Not sure I needed to see those Bob!

Thanks! Been looking for something just like that.
post #26 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:47 pm
CWF

Quote:
At the beginning of '05, I bought a pair of Diadora Freedom boots. I absolutely LOVE them! $100 for a pair of waterproof, comfortable, Kevlar-embedded boots . . . what a bargain! And with my size 12 foot, I cannot always get into a lot of motorcycle boots, but these were not a problem, and have only got better and better with time. YMMV
I've never owned boots. Do you need to go a bit larger than your standard shoe size to allow room to get them on? Wondered if those of you who've tried this boot thought they run either large or small?

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #27 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Post Sizes

I wear an 11 and the size 45 from Diadora feels like a custom fit. You can also call Rusty at Motorcycle Closeouts for some extra customer service. Despite being a busy owner, he will take the time to make sure you get the right size on anything he sells. He knows his stuff very well because I think he has tested it all personally. I have tried other brands at different stores and find the Sidis to run a little small and narrow. I would think that would be typical of most Euro boots.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #28 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:24 pm

I'm a size 12 in just about every shoe/boot I've worn in the last 25 years. Diadora's size 47 (US 12) fits like it grew there.
post #29 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:31 pm
Prodigal Son

Love mi Sidi's
comfy and tough
http://newenough.com/sidi_vertigo_corsa_boots_page.htm

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #30 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 9:44 pm

So many of these boots look like something out of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers. I like my Chippewas. Comfy, good protection, easy in and out, don't look too post-modern-euro-girlymanish. Ridden in the rain without a problem, soles grip well...

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #31 of 37 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:03 pm

"post-modern-euro-girlymanish"?!?! Really?!?!?

I can't wait to see the MANLY Chippewas of which you speak!
post #32 of 37 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 7:15 am
CWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
So many of these boots look like something out of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers. ...
I ordered a set because I use this board like an interactive consumer reports...just bought an inta ride based on Joe's recommendation....just ordered a set of boots based on feedback from this thread and

cause I like to play Flash Gordon...... I was really looking for a set of Captain Kirk Boots but these are close enough!

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #33 of 37 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne
Most motorcycle shops around me don't seem to have much to choose from in the way of boots. I'm looking to replace my current pair of Alpinestar boots and am looking for something that has a particularly grippy.

Being short, grip is important. My current boots slip on marginal surfaces much too easily. I also want something that's waterproof and wide that's easy to get in and out of; i.e., not lace-ups.

I'd appreciate recommendations and sources.
i have not read all the posts, but I use redwing boots, they work well for grip IMHO

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #34 of 37 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:48 pm

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
i have not read all the posts, but I use redwing boots, they work well for grip...
I bought a pair of RedWing boots a few years ago. I was so so proud to sport my new, totally waterproof, $150 RedWing boots. I wore the soles completely BALD in well under a year...mostly working indoors as a phone tech. I took them back to the store, and the store manager said, "Yep...'bout time you bought a new pair, huh?". I said, "What?! These aren't a year old. I figured you guys would offer to resole them for me.". He just smiled at me. I walked out, and kept walking. My first...and last pair or RedWing boots.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
post #35 of 37 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:33 pm

Quote:
I bought a pair of RedWing boots a few years ago. I was so so proud to sport my new, totally waterproof, $150 RedWing boots. I wore the soles completely BALD in well under a year...mostly working indoors as a phone tech. I took them back to the store, and the store manager said, "Yep...'bout time you bought a new pair, huh?". I said, "What?! These aren't a year old. I figured you guys would offer to resole them for me.". He just smiled at me. I walked out, and kept walking. My first...and last pair or RedWing boots.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

<g>, I've had mine for over two years now, it's all I wear, (need the support of the taller lace up boots) my soles do need replaced at this time, though they have been darn good boots, mine were about 220, (that must be the difference <big grin>)

I've never had a pair of boots last this long as much abuse as I give them. 100% waterproof and very warm yet the feet don't sweat up a storm either, when I get a chance to buy something else to wear I will definitly be sending these back to have new soles put on them

They will also do custom soles

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #36 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:19 am

Talking Got some Diadoro Freedom's

I went ahead and bought a pair of Diadoro Freedom boots as recommended here. Found them on eBay for $79 ($87 w/shipping). They seem like a very good value. Fit is great (I am size 11-US and the Euro size 45 fits nicely). I can't wait test them out on the bike. Thanks, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #37 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:36 am

I love "First Gear Kilimanjaro Boot". Waterproof, Warm in winter and NOT hot in the summer. Comfortable riding and walking in. Retail $199 but you can find them for $169 on internet search. Try NewEnough, Powersports and Tonker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in