Gerbings, BE CAREFUL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Gerbings, BE CAREFUL

This is not a thread to discredit Gerbings or Shango Rider , but....

I purchased a Cascade Extreme Pants and Jacket from Shango Rider at Spring Training this past April. Suit was advertised and noted on the tag as being waterproof. After getting a call from a fellow rider and Forum member stating that his upper torso was soaked (this while riding the LT) after a light rain and wearing his new Cascade Extreme Gerging jacket made me test my jacket. He also purchased his jacket from Shango Rider at Spring Training.

So, since I haven't had the jacket in any kind of rain since April of this year, I had the wife set the hose nozel setting on shower (which is a very low presure), stand about 5-7 feet away and spray me with the suit on for about 5-10 seconds. It didn't take long for the water to soak straight through the rainproof zipper on both arms. Now this would not be good if it was about 50 or colder and had the electric liners in!

After speaking with Dan with Shango Rider and after he contacted Gerbing, their first solution was not an exceptable one, so now after being issued an RA# my jacket will be on the way to Gerbing for replacement, repair or refund.

At this point Dan has been doing what he should be doing and told me to call him if there was anything else that he could do. I will see what Gerbing does.

I hope to remember to report back to the Forum as to what Gerbing does to make this situation right. I hope that this is not an $ 830.oo mistake.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:13 am

I have been using Gerbing gear for many years. Haven't bought anything in the past couple of years and it is news to me that they are selling waterproof gear. Is the tag and ad from Gerbing or from the company you bought the gear from? They were not making waterproof when I last shopped.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:26 am Thread Starter

The tag says (I still have the tag) WATERPROOF. The Rep that sold the Cascade Extreme specifically (more than 2-3 times) stated that this was the first time that Gerbing was sticking the waterPROOF tag on one of their garments.

I'll put it to you this way, if it hadn't been tagged and promulgated as being waterproof, I NEVER would have given it a second thought for purchase!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:47 am

I hope Gerbing does the right thing for you, whatever that might be.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

The jacket is header your direction. I hope know somethinng a week or so.

And..... the right thing for them to do is to make good on their promise "WATERPRROF". If the Cascade Extreme Jacket and Pants are not waterproof, refund my money!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 6:32 am

Brett,

FYI I've recently aquired a BMW Light'n Easy suit - supposedly waterproof. After driving through a downpour a couple of weeks ago I arrived home with a wet bum, crotch, shoulders and upper arms. The rain came straight through the material in those areas of the jacket and soaked through the trousers from sitting on a wet saddle. There is now a waterstain on the seat of the trousers.

These are actual experiences with clothing as are your discoveries. I've started a thread under 'BMW Gear' and the intention is maybe to get to a point where we can correlate such facts for the benefit of everyone. Maybe you would like to contribute.

BMW have responded promptly to mails confirming that the gear is supposed to be waterproof and confirming that it will be replaced or 'dealt with' by my local dealer under warranty (even though the gear was not bought there).

Kevin.

Last edited by highroamer; Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:37 am.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
This is not a thread to discredit Gerbings or Shango Rider , but....

I purchased a Cascade Extreme Pants and Jacket from Shango Rider at Spring Training this past April. Suit was advertised and noted on the tag as being waterproof. After getting a call from a fellow rider and Forum member stating that his upper torso was soaked (this while riding the LT) after a light rain and wearing his new Cascade Extreme Gerging jacket made me test my jacket. He also purchased his jacket from Shango Rider at Spring Training.

So, since I haven't had the jacket in any kind of rain since April of this year, I had the wife set the hose nozel setting on shower (which is a very low presure), stand about 5-7 feet away and spray me with the suit on for about 5-10 seconds. It didn't take long for the water to soak straight through the rainproof zipper on both arms. Now this would not be good if it was about 50 or colder and had the electric liners in!

After speaking with Dan with Shango Rider and after he contacted Gerbing, their first solution was not an exceptable one, so now after being issued an RA# my jacket will be on the way to Gerbing for replacement, repair or refund.

At this point Dan has been doing what he should be doing and told me to call him if there was anything else that he could do. I will see what Gerbing does.

I hope to remember to report back to the Forum as to what Gerbing does to make this situation right. I hope that this is not an $ 830.oo mistake.
Well we have the same result,

I work with urethane coated Cordura's, Urethane coated ballistic nylons, coated rip stops and a ton of other coated material, those materials should not leak as they did on the Gerbing Extreme jackets, both mine and my wife’s leaked terribly in a mild rain.

Now I have been a user of Gerbing products for about 5 years and have been VERY satisfied with the heated products, we have hundreds of thousands of miles since then of good use. My old outer pants from Gerbing are drier than this new extreme jacket

I am for one very disappointed in this product, the answer we got from Gerbing was to take our425 dollar a piece jackets that are supposed to be water proof (hence their extreme wear) and wash them with nik wax

Well with urethane-coated materials this is not the answer nor should we have to do this with a new product. This is an issue with a Gerbing product, to tell the truth I was shocked with the response we got from them particularly after owning their other heated products for so many years and using them the way we do and having great durability and support from the product, in fact that is why I was not worried about purchasing this product was because of past experience with Gerbing.

At this point, I just want a refund for our jackets so I can go get gear that works for our next long trip, which is less than a month away now. I do not have the time to deal with the gear the way they want us to do so.

We own 3 heated jacket liners, two heated outer pants, 3 pairs heated gloves, heated socks and 4 controllers. Myself, my wife and my daughter all ride and all use Gerbing heated gear. I have recommended Gerbing to many other riders that have purchased their heated gear from Gerbing.

Like I said I was surprised at the answer we received from Gerbing with our past experience we have had with them, hopefully I can receive a full refund ASAP for these jackets.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 6:53 am

Quote:
The jacket is header your direction. I hope know somethinng a week or so.

And..... the right thing for them to do is to make good on their promise "WATERPRROF". If the Cascade Extreme Jacket and Pants are not waterproof, refund my money!
yes it is, wash the jacket in nic wax, phhhhht..........

heck if i wanted to do that, I would have done that with my old Belstaff jacket that is still more waterproof than the new one from Gerbing
and kept my money in my pocket, I already have the heated jacket liners
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Follow-up On The Gerbing Cascade Extreme

The report is that Gerbing told me to send what I had purchased from Dan at Shango Rider this past spring back to them at Gerbing and that Dan would have to issue a full refund for the Cascade Extreme Jacket and Pants.

Gerbing has admitted a flaw in the rain-proof zippers.

The people at Gerbing have been very friendly and good to work with. Dan with Shango Rider has been attentive.

I have to date, NOT received the refund check promised by Dan.

As a side note and personal opinion here, it is ashamed that we cannot escape the Chinese crap that is being marketed in this country. Gerbing pants and jackets are from overseas, maybe they should take a closer look at the quality fabrics in THIS country. After all, we are already paying top dollar for riding gear anyway!

This makes the Aerostitch look even better! We will see if a trip to Duluth is in the future!

Good safe riding y'all!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:25 am

But the truth of the matter is...

Quote:
As a side note and personal opinion here, it is ashamed that we cannot escape the Chinese crap that is being marketed in this country. Gerbing pants and jackets are from overseas, maybe they should take a closer look at the quality fabrics in THIS country. After all, we are already paying top dollar for riding gear anyway!

This makes the Aerostitch look even better! We will see if a trip to Duluth is in the future!
Brett, The reason we're are all buying "Chinese crap" is because it's the only way that some of this stuff can be affordable. The truth is, we are NOT paying top dollar for this stuff. Isn't "price" the real reason you just didn't buy from Aerostich in the first place? IMO, Amercan labor has priced itself right out of the common marketplace. And most of the time, the quality really isn't that much higher, if at all.

Back in the mid-80s when I attended college, the profs told us that we (USA) would become a service-oriented country by the year 2000. They were absolutely correct. Today, unless a shop hires a busload of Mexicans, we simply can't compete in the world market. We can cry, "We want it made in America!" until the cows come home. But until you're willing to pay through the nose for this stuff...those words will fall on deaf ears.

All that aside...this is what you get for not buying a outfit in the first place!

Love ya man...
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:37 pm
Ted

Quote:
Gerbing has admitted a flaw in the rain-proof zippers.

As a side note and personal opinion here, it is ashamed that we cannot escape the Chinese crap that is being marketed in this country. Gerbing pants and jackets are from overseas, maybe they should take a closer look at the quality fabrics in THIS country.
If the problem is with the zippers, then why question the quality of the fabric?

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
If the problem is with the zippers, then why question the quality of the fabric?

because both of our sets were the fabric

we await the check as well

as far as the reason stated about buying Chinese crap, well that ain't exactly true. some of the stuff made in china is just as expensive (retail to us) as anything that has been made here.

Gerbing did not lower their prices since they started having their products made in china, neither did Levi's or many other companies that moved their manufacturing overseas or to Mexico, it did boost profits for the company though, and cost jobs in this country. So all it did was make the company more money - HUGE percentage increases

some small companies that never did or never had any intention of making products like these just make a HUGE profit on the product, you should see the cost of the products that get manufatured in china, even after shipping, if you saw these you would never buy anything again. It is so crazy high of a markup it would just piss you off.

as far as textiles in this country, well there is a whole new ball game. we dont make them like we used to in this country at all. we deal with these materials all the time there are HUGE costs manufacturing stuff like this with all the EPA laws.

one reason custom leather work is a DYEing art, yes that was typed that way on purpose. the restrictions on leather tanning are so bad now we are lossing all of our good tanneries, (btw we also make leather products for police and other uses) it is getting harder and harder to get good leather herre in the US

Oh BTW nothing BMW has is made in germany or the US either, it is all those little countries that work for less than China <g>
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Uhn gard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Brett, The reason we're are all buying "Chinese crap" is because it's the only way that some of this stuff can be affordable. The truth is, we are NOT paying top dollar for this stuff. Isn't "price" the real reason you just didn't buy from Aerostich in the first place? IMO, Amercan labor has priced itself right out of the common marketplace. And most of the time, the quality really isn't that much higher, if at all.

Back in the mid-80s when I attended college, the profs told us that we (USA) would become a service-oriented country by the year 2000. They were absolutely correct. Today, unless a shop hires a busload of Mexicans, we simply can't compete in the world market. We can cry, "We want it made in America!" until the cows come home. But until you're willing to pay through the nose for this stuff...those words will fall on deaf ears.

All that aside...this is what you get for not buying a outfit in the first place!

Love ya man...

Ok fellas, I purchased the Gerging Cascade Extreme at the Spring LT thangy because after looking for two years for a year-round suit, Shango Rider was there as a vendor and I thought that this would be a convenient and wise purchase! I liked the idea of the heated liners with the waterproof and windproof textile.

Problem was that the jacked is not wateproof at all!

I like the BMW Commuter 3 jacket, but the stinking pants are just too long for this short fat boy!

So, maybe this is an answer to "why" I didn't purchase the Aerostitch stuff in the first place!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #14 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Brett, ...........

Love ya man...
Joe,

You'll note a few messages up that I did buy a BMW suit and suffered the same result!

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in