Armoured pants for the vertically challenged - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Armoured pants for the vertically challenged

I think I have tried on just about every pair of pants that the local dealers have in stock. I'm only 5'6" and have a 28.5" inseam. I have a 32" waist but rather thick legs from powerlifting when I was younger.
I have a couple of jackets, riding boots ect. but I am looking for a pair of riding pants that fit. Any suggestions without going the cu$tom route? I wouldn't mind a nice pair of convertible mesh pants for the warmer days. I have seen pants that can be altered but the knee armour doesn't go nearly high enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Aerostitch

You might as well save yourself all the aggravation and just call Aerostitch.
They will make anything you want... any size

I did.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:13 am

Pants

+1 on the Aerostich. Through the kindness of Howard Schisler I recently
acquired a pair of bright yellow trousers. The quality and finish is first
class. We do not have the same heat issues on this side of the pond but I
have never found them to hot.

Another option for hot weather could be BMW summer trousers in the tan colour.
They are more like armoured jeans and you would have a few options if the armour was not in the right place:
Reposition the zip
Sew a fold into the material just above your knee
Reposition the pocket that holds the armour

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:34 am

Motoport makes all their stuff custom.

Check out this link...

I'm using their mesh product now in the summer and stay tolerably cool in even the mid-nineties out here in the drier desert southwest.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:16 pm

Here is my experience: I am 5'6" 160+ lbs, 34 waist, 30 inseam - in other words, just a bit fatter than you...

I fit fairly well into my collection of gear (if interested, I can look up the sizes):
- Aerostich 2-piece suit,
- BMW summer 1-piece suit,
- BMW 2-piece 3-phase suit,
- 2-piece leather suit from Talexx (via eBay)
- one of Hein-Gericke's watherproof leather/textile sets (after a lot of trying)

I cannot fit for sure into:
- Olympia pants (too long)
- most Hein-Gericke pants (too long)
- Fieldsheer pants (am just returning their 4-season mesh, really nice & quality, but way to tall).

Generally, I have no problems with jackets; I typically fit into medium sizes.

Hope that helps.
By the way, I just realized that my closet is too full!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 8:37 am

You might take a look at some of the OLYMPIA pants. I have a pair of their Airglide pants and am very happy with them. They have knee and hip removable body armor, are available in silver or black and have full length leg zippers. The pocket for the knee pads is designed so that the pad can be adjusted up or down several inches. The unique thing about the leg design is that the last 8 inches or so is closed with velcro. That allows the leg length to be shortened easily without getting into the expense of removing and replacing the zipper. They also come with a removable liner for cold weather riding.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:27 am

Garage
This past spring, I purchased a pair of tan BMW Summer pants. I had them tailored twice to fit. With my 5'10 length and 39+ sized waist ( I know, I'm a Fat Ass!), I had to get an XXL. The problem is that they were 4 inches too long. You can't simply hem them because the knee pads will still be on your shins.

I was able to shorten them by unzipping the legs, cutting the 3" of fabric just below the zipper, then reattaching just the zipper portion. This moved the knee pads up to my knees where they belong. I had to play a little bit with the velco that holds the pad in place but it worked.

I've had them on short 100+ mile trips but nothing extended yet. They're comfortable and keep me cool.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:24 am

shorty

First Gear sizes their pants, Tall , Reg, Short. www.newenough.com
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 9:59 pm

Olympia's new Phantom one-piece suit has hemmable pants. You can cut off up to (I believe) 4" and rehem them. The knee pads may need to be repositioned but that should be very straightforward for a seamstress/alteration shop.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karp
I think I have tried on just about every pair of pants that the local dealers have in stock. I'm only 5'6" and have a 28.5" inseam. I have a 32" waist but rather thick legs from powerlifting when I was younger.
I have a couple of jackets, riding boots ect. but I am looking for a pair of riding pants that fit. Any suggestions without going the cu$tom route? I wouldn't mind a nice pair of convertible mesh pants for the warmer days. I have seen pants that can be altered but the knee armour doesn't go nearly high enough.
karp,

My specs are pretty close to yours and I have the First Gear Mesh . I love 'em except for the color - black. Silver/grey would be preferable for me since the black is hot when you are standing still or on the long boring open road.

The liner is water resistant and has kept me dry in some significant downpours. I have ridden in them when it was as hot as 120 - gotta keep moving for the venting to be effective. I also ride in them in the winter here - down into the teens - i fire up the heated seat occasionally when it is that cold, but have never wanted anything warmer.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.n...9?opendocument

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....

Last edited by the1mavin; Jul 22nd, 2007 at 6:43 pm. Reason: Forgot the link...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in