BMW Airflow gloves - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:16 am Thread Starter

BMW Airflow gloves

Does anyone currently use them? My search for the perfect summer glove continues....

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:38 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
Does anyone currently use them? My search for the perfect summer glove continues....
Howdy Keith,

Nancy and I both use the BMW Airflow gloves. I also have a pair of BMW Airflow 2 gloves.

We absolutely love them. They are a nice balance of light weight, good air flow and adequate protection. I highly recommend them for Touring and local cruise types of rides.

An observation; They are very short for wrist protection.

When riding at a more substantial pace I use the BMW Pro Race gloves. They have above average airflow, heat reflective properties, high levels of hand protection and gantlet wrist guards with armor.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:06 am
Ted

Consider the Elkskin Roper...they are not as sexy as some gloves, but if they are good enough for the CHP they are good enough for me! Ridden in temps from 34 - 108. For the colder temps, the heat from the heated grips really come through, and in the hotter temps they are fine.

I'm beginning my 4th year w/ mine and still love 'em. Funny though - I was looking at the Airflow 2's last night!

Some have reported that you can get these cheaper elsewhere - just make sure they are elkskin and not deerskin.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=439&page=1

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:48 am

Airflow gloves

Very comfortable but not too durable. My right hand has a rip where the fabric meets the leather on the palm. This is the second year. $90 down the drain.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #5 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Keith,

Nancy and I both use the BMW Airflow gloves. I also have a pair of BMW Airflow 2 gloves.

We absolutely love them. They are a nice balance of light weight, good air flow and adequate protection. I highly recommend them for Touring and local cruise types of rides.

An observation; They are very short for wrist protection.

When riding at a more substantial pace I use the BMW Pro Race gloves. They have above average airflow, heat reflective properties, high levels of hand protection and gantlet wrist guards with armor.

I am determined not to buy any more gloves online. I am having problems with the internal seams picking at my fingernails. I have decided that it would be either the AirFlow 2 or the ProSports. I would prefer the Prosports but was concerned that they would be too hot. What are your thoughts about HOT weather riding with the ProSports.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I picked up a pair way back in Aug 04. They have been great, but they were short on the wrist. Stopped into MAX BMW on my last east coast trip and picked up what I thought were airflow II as they had more material that better covered the wrists. Much better glove than the original airflow. I'll check them when I get home for the correct name (could be airflow III?)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 4:24 pm

I bought a pair of the helimot F108 summer gloves a few weeks ago, bright yellow

eeexxxpensive, but I ride a lot in the heat and wanted good protection. Almost got the held GP's from newenough but decided on dedicated warm weather gloves.

These things work great and feel good, air flow thru them is surprising, when you look at how much glove is there.

Seems i get more paranoid every year and buy better gear, but I don't have time to crash and not get up...especially if I scoot off-road in the desert without intention.
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Thumbs up BMW Gloves

Hi Keith,

I have used the BMW gloves in the past and found them comfortable yet overly expensive. Over the past couple of years, I have used "no name" gloves purchased from my local motorcycle dealer. They have great venting and have worn well.

Just last week, I bought my second pair of deerskin gloves which work superbly in the oppressive summer heat which we are having here. I paid $39 Cdn for them which, to me, seems like a steal. They have seamless palms and are well vented. I plan on taking both pairs on my tour this summer. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you the information on The Old Mill.

Ride safe,

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
I am determined not to buy any more gloves online. I am having problems with the internal seams picking at my fingernails. I have decided that it would be either the AirFlow 2 or the ProSports. I would prefer the Prosports but was concerned that they would be too hot. What are your thoughts about HOT weather riding with the ProSports.
Howdy Keith,

I do not have any experience with the ProSport gloves. They look similar to the ProRace, but a tad more padding on the fingers and without the carbon fiber on the knuckles.

Can't say how cool they'd be, sorry.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #10 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Consider the Elkskin Roper...they are not as sexy as some gloves, but if they are good enough for the CHP they are good enough for me! Ridden in temps from 34 - 108. For the colder temps, the heat from the heated grips really come through, and in the hotter temps they are fine.

I'm beginning my 4th year w/ mine and still love 'em. Funny though - I was looking at the Airflow 2's last night!

Some have reported that you can get these cheaper elsewhere - just make sure they are elkskin and not deerskin.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=439&page=1
Ted: I have been thinking about ordering the Elkskin Ropers. I believe they come in a natural color as well as black. I wondered if you had the black and if the black color bleeds through in hot weather. I have a pair of black deerskins that I love but they are about worn out and they turn my hands black. Thanks.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Let me hijack my own thread. I know that I said that I wasn't going to buy any more gloves online but I did. I found these deerskin gloves with external stitching. The main complaint that I have had about the last dozen pair of gloves that I bought was the finger seams picking at my fingernails. So for anyone that is interested, here is what I went with:

Tourmaster Deerskin gloves from NewEnough.com
Constructed with Grade A, aniline-dyed deerskin leather
Velcro backed deerskin leather wrist strap with elastic wrist band provides a secure fit
Perforated fingers provide cooling ventilation
Out-seam stitched palm and in-seam stitched upper maximizes glove comfort and function
Ergonomically designed palm configuration with padded palm patch to help ease fatigue
Padded thumb patch helps to resist wear from grip flanges
Padded knuckle design offers protection and styling
Forms to your hand for a personalized fit

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:19 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
I believe they come in a natural color as well as black. I wondered if you had the black and if the black color bleeds through in hot weather.
Hi Ray -

I have the natural - didn't buy the black because Aerostich warns that they can bleed.

Over time, natural will turn slightly black as you can see from the attached! The other nice thing about these specific gloves is that there are no seams on the palm side so they are very comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elkskin Ropers @30K.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	13103  

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 9:13 pm
Super Moderator

Back to your original question

Bought a pair BMW Airflow gloves in 2003 and have worn them for the past 4 1/2 years with no issues . . . I wear no other gloves. I believe the reason for the long life is the fit - when they are just right the gloves can last really a long time. Too tight too loose well that's another story!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jul 15th, 2007 at 9:13 pm. Reason: eror
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:56 am

I am on my third pair, they last me about a year riding almost everyday. On the LT I can use them almost year round in Dallas, but on the GS I have other gloves. The last pair that I bought are white or sand(i don't remember what it was called); but that makes them cooler as well.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 8:23 am

Thumbs up Airflow gloves

Been using mine for 2 seasons. No complaints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in