Fieldsheer Four Season vs. Olympia Airglide 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Fieldsheer Four Season vs. Olympia Airglide 2

Anybody compare the Fieldsheer Four Season to the Olympia Airglide 2 gear?

I am interested in getting mesh pants for Summer riding and I want Silver to be cooler. The options seem to be these two brands. I was wondering if anyone had compared them before and what your thoughts or decisions were.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has either of these on quality, ease to put on, effectiveness, actual fit vs. their posted size (i.e. your normal pant size and then your Mesh pants size).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 1:49 pm

I've got the Olympia, and I stay pretty cool, without the liner in. I even have black - although if I had it to do over again, I probably would have gone silver...

I wear pants and jacket at almost all times - no matter how hot it gets. The jacket is cooler than wearing nothing, because it helps control evaporation of sweat. Very happy with overall quality (I don't want to do the "slide test", and check that quality ), and size is pretty true.

Can't offer an opinion on the other brand you're considering - never tried it.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Does the liner remove and re-install pretty easy? Does it attach to the mesh pants or is it worn like a second pair of pants?

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660

post #4 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:21 pm

This may be a misconception of mine, but I would put Olympia in a higher league than Fieldsheer. My brother and my riding partner, Nancy, both wear Olymp[ia gear. Seems like some good stuff. (Not as good as my BMW gear, but a great, cheaper alternative.)
post #5 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:55 pm

Fieldsheer Four Season vs. Olympia Airglide 2

I have the Olympia jacket but paired it with Cortech pants (32 waist, 32 inseam). The Olympia pants rode up over the top of my boot (thus putting the knee armor in the middle of my thigh) when I tried them on and then sat on the LT. The SO has both the Olympia jacket and pants and doesn't like the pants riding up either.

The think I look at initially with a pair of riding pants is how they hang on the hangar. If they hang flat (no bend in the knee, no bend at the hip), they will not fit right when you sit on the bike.

Find retailer that has them, go try them on AND sit on your bike to check for fit.

We also go through enough gear that "You get what you pay for" rings true. The Olympia and Cortech/Tourmaster gear seem to be the best value for my dollar so far.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #6 of 12 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:58 pm

You might also consider whether the pants can go on and off without having to remove your boots first. I'll check for this before I buy my NEXT pair of pants!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard good things about Olympia, but not much about Fieldsheer. I have seen the Fieldsheer and actually tried a pair on when I was in North Carolina a Month or so ago. They seemed pretty well built but I was in a hurry that day so didn't pay enough attention to the details as I should have. I hope to see the Olympia when I stop up to Pioneer Motorsports in a couple of weekends.

Just want to get real opinions first as just looking doesn't seem to reveal the things you find later when your using.

I definately want the full zippered legs and they both have that. I have those on my Joe Rocket's Textile now.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #8 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I bought the silver Olympia pants a month ago and really like them.
1. The liner is easy to install
2. If it warms a little you can pull the outside and liner zips to get leg cooling, without taking the liner off
3. The liner can also be used as a pant w/o the mesh outer
4. I have no problem with the pants riding over the tall CruiserWorks tour boots. I have the large pants and about 33' inseam.
5. Easy to unzip the pants a bit to insert booted foot
At about $180 they are a very good deal.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #9 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
Does the liner remove and re-install pretty easy? Does it attach to the mesh pants or is it worn like a second pair of pants?

Randy
One thang I've learned over the years about riding suits with liners, and I found it out by accident. I used to attach and detach the liners from the suit, sometimes in convenience store parking lots, etc. You know, them things wear just fine without attaching them. It saves a bunch of time and the Olympia jacket liner can actually be worn as a not bad looking jacket.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Grif and Benton,

Thanks for the input. Good point on the don't button or zip the liners. I do that if I'm changing frequently, but when the weather is cooler I go ahead and install them properly so they come off as a pair.

I will probably check out the Olympia before purchasing, but the Fieldsheer looked pretty decent themselves from what I recall. May have to ride and look at them again also.

So much riding not enough gear............. Oh wait that need more gear

BMWMOA # 131660
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:16 pm

I have a Fieldshear jacket amoung others. The armour is very good and it seems well made, my riding partner just got a Olympia 3/4 air jacket and it is better quality and better thought out. The Olympia liner is very nice and like whats has been said can be worn as a jacket. The new line of Olympia clothes I think are the best out there for the price and will be my next coat.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered Fiedlsheer pants. They are scheduled to arrive today. Wish I had them last week when I went to Americade. Was 95 on Friday and 90 on Saturday. Rode in Blue Jeans those days as the J Rockets I have for cooler times where too hot on Thursday when it was only 80.

I can't wait to get home tonight to see my new pants. Of course I am leaving on vactation the rest of the week without the bike so can't use them until next week.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in