Help Repairing Chicane Bag strap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Cool Help Repairing Chicane Bag strap

I have worn out the little strap that secures the Chicane around the oddments cover lock thing. It is torn out on one side, very secure on the other. Any ideas on how to get it re-attached? Sew it, Rip it out and start with a new piece. What material to use. Who does this kind of work, etc.

I'm trying to no have to send it to Chicane for repairs. It's about a year old, purchased locally (Cliff's - Danbury, CT.) I like the bag very much because of size and overall useful design, but that strap looks like a kludge (sp?) to me.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:02 pm

I've replaced that loop and one of the velcro tabs that holds it down at front. They're not designed very well and pull out too easily. That, or just sloppy assembly QC at the Chinese sweatshop the bag is made in. I bought mine used but figured even if I could exchange it, it would only happen again.

I just got a sewing awl, some heavy braided thread (fly reel backing works), some nylon strap to replace the velcro tab, and parachute cord with the core removed for the back loop. Sewed them on through the piping that's along the bottom edge of the bag.

Better than new!

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:02 pm

I talked to Randy at Chicane and he said they had a bad batch of these and told me to just send it to him and he would send me another one. The one he sent me has been fine. One thing that I think should be improved on is the velcrow tabs, they should be at least an inch longer. Just call Randy he'll treat you right.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:18 pm

It's good to know that he's aware of it and handling claims. I'm settled in with mine, so I don't feel the need to extract a replacement. It's a great piece of equipment and I wouldn't be without it. I'll be buying a Chicane tank bag for my Moto Guzzi, I'm that impressed with the overall design and quality. The LT is an odd case. Not your typical tank bag application.

One of the velcro tabs pulled out of mine much like the latch loop. Again, being handy with a sewing awl I replaced it with a stronger, longer piece of webbing. The other side shows no sign of pulling out though. A slim profile fastex buckle might also work for attaching the front end.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 1:11 pm

To notch service

After seeing this thread and being tiered of modifying/wiggling/slamming to get the lid closed with the bag on, I decided to give Randy a call. We talked about my problem and the design for a bit and no problem, send it back & Ill fix it. It seems they changed the design of the loop to a bungee material to allow for what Randy said was a large tolerance discrepancy in the LTs latch pin design. What great customer service.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Would somebody please add best contact info for Randy contact number to this thread please. . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:49 am

For more information or to place a phone order, call 303.877.0854

To contact Chicane, email at [email protected]

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in