Passenger Seat Bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Passenger Seat Bag

I am looking for a (1) waterproof, (2) properly sized for the rear seat, (3) top opening, (4) multi - tie down capable (not requiring several cross straps) and (5) reasonably priced bag for the passenger seat for my 01 LT.

I located some that were great except they were not waterproof and required an additional weather cover. I found others that were waterproof and center opening but had limited tie down points built in. Helen Two Wheel bags may be the best compromise unless someone has a better option.

Thanks

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 2:54 pm

I've got a big Helen Two Wheel bag and it's great. Waterproof, just the right size, good workmanship, 2 thumbs up.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 3:02 pm

I bought a Chicane duffel bag at CCR last year. It is waterproof, holds a lot of stuff and is easy to tie on the seat if you do the following mod: (This suits of course to other bags as well.)

Take a piece - of what they call it - tie strap belt or ---you know the type of belt with locks at one end...

Anyway just use the belt itself. This belt you will put under your rear seat so that you will have two loops. One at both end, next to the saddlebag handles. You can sew the loop or if you don't know how, just tie a knot
Now you will have a place to fasten your duffel bag with one tie strap on either side and you are not using your saddlebag handles as it is a PITA to have access to saddlebags and every time undo the straps.

Worked for me across two continents...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I am looking for a (1) waterproof, (2) properly sized for the rear seat, (3) top opening, (4) multi - tie down capable (not requiring several cross straps) and (5) reasonably priced bag for the passenger seat for my 01 LT.

I located some that were great except they were not waterproof and required an additional weather cover. I found others that were waterproof and center opening but had limited tie down points built in. Helen Two Wheel bags may be the best compromise unless someone has a better option.

Thanks
The one I bought does require the cover , but it did come with it. You might want to take a look at it.

http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Mercha...Code=MLGWS-450

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Try this:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=6

Go down the page to Strap n Go

Rusty Snyder
post #6 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell

Thanks
I occasionally use a Kuryakyn Grantour bag. Two straps under the rear seat and they are easily removable with the velcro straps. It has a built in backrest pad which is a bonus. Comes with a nice lock and rain fly. I used it in light rain without the fly and had no water issues - I doubt you would have any problems until it was pouring.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #7 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:54 pm

When I ride solo, I put my Kathy's Rack Bag on the pillion seat and use the shoulder strap to tie it down to the pillion seat. I also have the Strap 'n Go straps that I lock it down from front to read. And the Kathy's is waterproof, but I used some tent seam sealer where it is sown together and have yet to have wet clothes. YMMV.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 12 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I've got a big Helen Two Wheel bag and it's great. Waterproof, just the right size, good workmanship, 2 thumbs up.
Absolutely agree. Bought one last year for the trip to CCR at my BMW dealer. They are available in different sizes, too, and can make a nice backrest. I strapped mine to the rear seat and pillion handholds; didn't move an inch, and kept everything dry through 6 straight hours of rain and one biblical thunderstorm.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 12 Old May 8th, 2007, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I'll second that. I've got a couple of her bags and a set of straps that are made for the LT. Work great. No reason to change.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #10 of 12 Old May 8th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I'll second that. I've got a couple of her bags and a set of straps that are made for the LT. Work great. No reason to change.
Ditto again for the Helen bags. Great quality.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #11 of 12 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:00 pm
was

Check out canoe/kayak websites, they have a ton of waterproof bag options at reasonable prices. For instance, one of these may meet your needs: http://www.seallinegear.com/packs.as...y=PacksDuffles

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #12 of 12 Old May 10th, 2007, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Check out canoe/kayak websites, they have a ton of waterproof bag options at reasonable prices. For instance, one of these may meet your needs: http://www.seallinegear.com/packs.as...y=PacksDuffles
A friend of mine here in Augusta sent me this same link a couple of days ago. I ordered one ( 12 x 12 x 23 ) and it should be here tomorrow. $66.90 delivered.

Thanks to everyone that all for the suggestions. I still may purchase the H-2-W bag in the future.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Last edited by lnowell; May 10th, 2007 at 10:22 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in