what do you wear under your gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 5th, 2007, 7:03 am Thread Starter

what do you wear under your gear

I've done the searches and can't find squat, so here goes. What do most of you wear under your gear? I want to buy some good protective pants, but am unsure of the sizing/fit. Obviously, pants over pants would require larger outer pants. What about riding pants over shorts? Hopefully I'm not showing my ignorance too much.

Tony
07 LT Blue and beautiful
03 CBR600F4I red and soooo fast
88 Magna (wish I still had this one)
Interdum stultus bene loquitur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 5th, 2007, 7:25 am

sorry, has to be done . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welsh_hooker_745.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	11539  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 5th, 2007, 7:40 am

Woolly you look good in that modeling pic

Jeb,

I am by no means an expert as I don't put in the miles that many here do, but I ride as a commuter almost daily this time of year and wear whatever pants I need including Docker style and Blue Jeans if riding on the weekends.

I think shorts would be fine in the hotter weather also. As for fit, my Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 in size XL Tall fit perfect over my pants. I wear 34-36 waist and have a 34" inseam (6'2" 220 lbs). The Joe Rocket sizing chart says the XL is good for 36-38 waist and 33.5" inseam for the Tall version.

Hope that helps some. I am in the market for a mesh set now for the hotter weather since last season I rode mostly with Jeans in the Summer.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660

post #4 of 13 Old May 5th, 2007, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb316
What about riding pants over shorts? Hopefully I'm not showing my ignorance too much.
I wear a variety of these depending on temperature UNDER my riding pants(either mesh or textile). I could go with Under Armour but that is 2X the price. Really comfortable.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/1...r-Bottoms.html

I also wear a variety of these UNDER my riding jacket(also either mesh or textile depending on anticipated temps).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/1...wear-Tops.html

JMTCW
post #5 of 13 Old May 5th, 2007, 9:20 am

Phase change pants and shirt when it's cool....
wicking shorts and t-shirt when it's hot..........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 13 Old May 7th, 2007, 8:12 am

In the summer I wear Motoport Ultra Air Mesh Kevlar on top, UnderArmor Boxer Jock:

and Bohn Cool Air armor:

In winter I wear Foxcreek Leather on top, LDComfort shorts:
and
Bohn Adventure armor

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #7 of 13 Old May 7th, 2007, 8:20 am

Wooly.. TMI<TMI<TMI!!!!!

It should be noted, UT asked the Aggies about this and the Aggies responded: "Sheep are for WOOL."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 13 Old May 7th, 2007, 10:44 am
Ted

It really depends upon the gear and the weather. When wearing the Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece, I'm wearing jeans and long sleeve t-shirt per Aerostich recommendations. When wearing the BMW Venting Machine, if it's really hot then I just have on BMW mesh t-shirt and underwear (you really feel the airflow!) or if it's not so hot, but too warm for the Aerostich then I'll wear a regular T or long sleeved T depending on how warm/cool I think it's going to get.
With the Venting Machine pants I just wear the pants - no jeans underneath.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #9 of 13 Old May 7th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Someone's daughters, lipstick
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #10 of 13 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:20 pm
was

Depends. Uh, no, not the diapers. I mean it depends on a huge variety of factors. Winters I wear a t-shirt, regular shirt, heated vest under a waterproof padded liner inside a Kilimangaro mesh jacket on top, regular socks and high socks under leather/waterproof riding boots, underwear and regular pants under the waterproof/insulated liner of FirstGear overpants. Sometimes a baklava under the modular helmet. As the weather gets warmer I shed layers until I am down to long or short sleeve t-shirt and bathing suit under mesh jacket and the overpants without the liner (plus the socks, boots, and helmet, of course). There may be techy solutions that fit every change in environmental conditions, but I doubt it, so I think about layers and make sure the riding gear will accommodate the different layers.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #11 of 13 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Hi, Tony. Good to see more Palmetto State members.

My primary all-season gear is Aerostich Darien combo. The pants are "overpants" designed to be worn over another pair of pants, so I ordered my usual size and they fit over another pair of pants just fine. They also have snap adjustments on both sides that give more range of size.

I also have some Vanson leather pants that are not overpants, you wear them like jeans.

In really hot weather I wear shorts under my Darien pants. Otherwise I wear jeans, khakis, or dress pants. Whatever I happen to be wearing as "street clothes". When it's really cold I wear compression-type base layer pants under fleece lined jeans, then the Dariens.
post #12 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Nothing is worn under my gear, it's as fresh as ever it was.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #13 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

gotta lose weight!!

Thanks to all who've replied so far. I've got a pair of Olympia Airglide pants to match my jacket. I like the pants but that's what made me wanna start this thread. If I wear the pants as pants then everythings good...however if I want to wear them as overpants they're a bit tight. I'm concerned about increased cleaning of the pants if they're worn as pants and I don't want to get pants too large that would move around alot if I'm sliding on the ground. Do you guys find that the pants need washing pretty often? How much wear and tear does this put on them? I know, I know a bunch of noob questions, but I've gotten old enough to realize that gear is good (older=wiser, also older=more brittle). Thanks again for all the advice. Thanks for the welcome, Weyman. I'm jealous of all the good ridin' that must be near you up there!

Tony
07 LT Blue and beautiful
03 CBR600F4I red and soooo fast
88 Magna (wish I still had this one)
Interdum stultus bene loquitur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in