New Darien Gear Has Arrived - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

New Darien Gear Has Arrived

My new Darien jacket and pants have arrived -- 4 weeks to the day after I ordered them (in person, in Duluth), and just as Aerostich promised.

My wife is killing me: She picked up the package at the UPS terminal near our little town, and then brought it to me at work -- an hour away. I'm working late today, the bike is parked outside, the new gear is hanging up in the office coatroom, and I can't try it on. At about 8:00 p.m. I'm outta here in my new gear. I'll give you a report later.

The forecast for the next 2 days is for thunderstorms/rain/wind. I think that will be a good test of this gear.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Thumbs up Congrats, Howard....

....kinda like Christmas in April, I'd say! Looking forward to your impressions!

You were right in making the trip. I'm still tweakin' the fit on my Roadcrafter pants. After a few rides, I decided my pants needed to be longer below the knee. They were plenty long just standing in them. But once seated on the bike with my knees nestled into the armor, they hiked up higher on my boots than I preferred.

So...back they go with Aerostich's blessing and I've got a pair of customs on the way. I got "credit" for my earlier purchase, so I only have to wait about two weeks for the custom replacements. Great company to deal with! They know you're dropping a big investment on a quality suit, so they too want it to be just right for you!

Give us a full report!

Regards,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw
...You were right in making the trip. I'm still tweakin' the fit on my Roadcrafter pants. After a few rides, I decided my pants needed to be longer below the knee. They were plenty long just standing in them. But once seated on the bike with my knees nestled into the armor, they hiked up higher on my boots than I preferred... Give us a full report!
Just got home after wearing the new gear for the 50-minute ride home. I noticed right away that the pants were shorter than those I tried on (labeled as the same size) at Aerostich. The ones at Aerostich were a touch too long; when sitting on their bike mockup they were still a touch too long but I was OK with that. What I received "looks" nicer while standing (I know, that's not a criterion...) but they are also a good 1.5" or so shorter while on the bike. If I wore ankle-height boots I'd send them back. I think they'll be OK...

First impression: this is nice gear. Duh! The pads are more comfortable than those on my old Tourmaster jacket, and they are the newer style; they feel like viscoelastic foam, with a hard outer shell. The jacket collar is very tall. It actually fits up into the back of the helmet; it can be rolled down, of course (a Darien feature).

News about Darien: Aerostich has added a microfiber collar liner! The old liner (at least on the ones I tried on in the store) were unlined, or were lined with something pretty harsh next to the neck. I won't need to send this jacket to the lady in Indiana who does this mod for the Darien jacket.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's rain test.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in