Another crash test proves modular helmet 'does the job' - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Another crash test proves modular helmet 'does the job'

Just received the new Aerostich catalog (2007). At the bottom of Page 18, there's a crash report from a Dwight Conant. He had a run-in with a deer in West Texas. His Honda ST1300 was totaled, but his Nolan N102 modular (flip-up) helmet fared rather well. Many people are leery of modulars, figuring that they'll fail in a crash. Honestly, I have yet to hear of a modular failing in a crash.

Thought some of you might want to know. Frankly, I'm on my second Nolan modular and I'm not going back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Yikes

From the title of your thread I was fearing the worst: your GT involved in a crash. Oh yeah -- and you hurt... or worse.

I'll stick with my Nolan N102 also, until it's worn out or it's due for a change. I really like the versatility of a modular helmet but would also like to try a standard full-face helmet to see if it's quieter; I suspect it would be.

Thanks.

PS: Anything left in Joe's Swap Shop? Looks like you're selling out to the bare walls.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
PS: Anything left in Joe's Swap Shop? Looks like you're selling out to the bare walls.
Not much left. But I really am only selling stuff that I've stopped wearing for one reason or another. Sure am glad to see that I'm funding part of my trip with stuff I wasn't using. Business has been S-L-O-W!

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 9:27 am

The Nolans are nice but I like the Caberg much better, Its its a few bucks cheaper.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just received the new Aerostich catalog (2007). At the bottom of Page 18, there's a crash report from a Dwight Conant. He had a run-in with a deer in West Texas. His Honda ST1300 was totaled, but his Nolan N102 modular (flip-up) helmet fared rather well. Many people are leery of modulars, figuring that they'll fail in a crash. Honestly, I have yet to hear of a modular failing in a crash.

Thought some of you might want to know. Frankly, I'm on my second Nolan modular and I'm not going back.
Saw the same photo story in my new catalog last night. I've crash tested the Shoei Duotec/Aero Darien combo myself: 45mph tank slapper with a high-side finish into a ditch. Totaled the helmet and pants and ripped up a jacket sleeve. Put a nice digger into the fresh blacktop, too . I had a persistent mild headache and shoulder pain for the next two weeks, otherwise ATGATT paid off. I sent the Darien jacket in for repairs and wore it another 5 years. I replaced the Shoei with an Arai Signet (I didn't know a helmet could be so light and comfortable!). Most of the modulars I've tried since, including Nolans don't fit me very well or are too darn heavy (Schuberth). I tried an AVG and it fits okay. When I'm up for a new lid, I will certainly be considering a modular again.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
Most of the modulars I've tried since, including Nolans don't fit me very well or are too darn heavy (Schuberth). I tried an AVG and it fits okay. When I'm up for a new lid, I will certainly be considering a modular again.
Make sure when trying on the Nolans to try an N100 AND N102. They are shaped very differently.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Helmets

Nolan fan here too. Can't beat the flexibility compared to my full face. To answer the question though, my full face is quieter than the modular. I tend to use the full face in early spring & late fall, use the mod during the summer

Mike
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2007, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Make sure when trying on the Nolans to try an N100 AND N102. They are shaped very differently.
I find that comment interesting.

I have had 2 N100Es and it's time to replace the second N100E. I tried on a N102 N-COM and I got what I expected. To me it felt just like the N100e..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I find that comment interesting.

I have had 2 N100Es and it's time to replace the second N100E. I tried on a N102 N-COM and I got what I expected. To me it felt just like the N100e..
My friend Nancy went to replace here HJC Symax, simply because it gave her a headache if she wore it too long. She tried on the N100E and didn't like it at all. She then tried on the N102 and fell in love. She says that it's the perfect helmet for her. That's the experience that I base my statements on.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 8:30 am

I'm just the opposite from Nancy. . . My SyMax fits great, but I find the Nolan 102 too short front to back. I did try on a Shoei MultiTec and it fit great.

Modular helmets may be noisier, but I sure like the convenience, and always reassuring to hear success stories with them.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Ted

Slight hijack - referring to the same 2007 Aerostich catalog - has anyone noticed a certain picture on the cover?

Starting in the upper left count 2 more spaces to the right, then 3 spaces down.

Must be a tribute to Burt Munro and the lemon tree...

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
My friend Nancy went to replace here HJC Symax, simply because it gave her a headache if she wore it too long. She tried on the N100E and didn't like it at all. She then tried on the N102 and fell in love. She says that it's the perfect helmet for her. That's the experience that I base my statements on.
I was at a dealer yesterday picking up a part and tried on a bunch of helmets. I find the N102 N-COM fit me exactly like the N100E, same size and everything. I tried on a lot of helmets with help from the counter guy... with his helmet fitter tape and technique. He actually wanted me to pull down a helmet that didn't fit. If I did that, besides being uncomfortable, I probably would have changed the shape of the inside of the helmet..

That would have given the next shopper another experience.. Something like that might have been what happened to your friend.. that is to make N100E and N102 really different. I have bought helmets before that seemed to fit good in the store... then when I bought it and received a new one in a box from the back and found that I was dissatisfied almost immediately..

Net of this is... I am very cautious with 'demo' helmets. If they look shop worn, no tags, smudged (dirty) visor or it the end of the season I wait..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Thumbs up Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
The Nolans are nice but I like the Caberg much better, Its its a few bucks cheaper.
Also Caberg here.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 5:35 pm

I can't get past the goofy look, though I would like the feature.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
I can't get past the goofy look, though I would like the feature.
When they are closed . . . they look like any other full-face brain bucket. Just don't open the thing when you're "in public", if you're that self-conscious. Once you have one, you'll NEVER go back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in