Suggestions for commuting apparel... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Smile Suggestions for commuting apparel...

I am relatively new to the touring community and I plan to use my 1200LT primarily for commuting to work 3 seasons.

I wear business casual and I plan to wear a black leather riding jacket and riding boots. However, I am unsure about the pants. I want to have protection, but without looking like a dork or requiring that I shower and get my clothes drycleaned when I arrive at work in the AM. The many styles of riding chaps are not my idea of 'cool' . I don't have a huge bank account to buy overalls either..

What do you guys wear when commuting to work? What would you suggest that would look cool, but not need a loan to purchase?

Thanks!

-Larry

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Considering that one visit to get checked out and a few bandages after picking the gravel out of your knee can cost well into four figures, five if there's any problem, I suggest that there probably shouldn't be a budget consideration regarding protective gear. Oh, yeah, then there's the pain!

That said, I'd suggest First Gear or Feldsheer as options for slip over pants. Try them on to see how good the zippers are and how easy they are to put on or take off. If they're tough to mount, you won't use them.

I'd really suggest you check out Aerostich for commuting. In and out in less than 10 seconds, well built, good quality, and they'll fix them the way you want them. Perhaps only buy a set of pants this year and get a matching jacket later. FWIW.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSMITH1
I am relatively new to the touring community and I plan to use my 1200LT primarily for commuting to work 3 seasons.

I wear business casual and I plan to wear a black leather riding jacket and riding boots. However, I am unsure about the pants. I want to have protection, but without looking like a dork or requiring that I shower and get my clothes drycleaned when I arrive at work in the AM. The many styles of riding chaps are not my idea of 'cool' . I don't have a huge bank account to buy overalls either..

What do you guys wear when commuting to work? What would you suggest that would look cool, but not need a loan to purchase?

Thanks!

-Larry
Hate to $ay it, but in the long run you'll be dollars ahead "doing it right" from the start. Another vote for a Roadcrafter. For $800 (ouch!) you'll get *years* of service out of a 1-piece Roadcrafter (so ultimately a low $/yr cost). I wear basically the same clothes (and suits from time to time), and NOTHING beats a Roadcrafter for "business" commuting -- instant on/off, total clothes (and body) protection in all weather, a remarkable "tolerable temperature range", easily folds into the trunk or saddlebag. In fact, Andy Goldfine originally designed the Roadcrafter specifically as a commuter suit.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 9:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wear the gear!

Wear the gear! I have some riding pants with removable liner. They are "First Gear". Zippers on the outside of the legs allow me to step in, zip up, ride.. has knee and hip padding.

It's great to see the looks when you start unzipping your "overpants" in the parking garage! Oh, and you arrive nice, clean and presentable...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Garage
I agree with what others have said in this thread regarding the Aerostich.
I've had the one and two piece Roadcrafter suits and they have served daily duty , year round, for almost 20 years now. I prefer the one piece in most situations.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 7:39 am

The First Gear pants that cfell uses is the same gear I use everyday over my business casual. Easy on and off in the parking lot. I keep it in the top case along with my helmet. The Kilimanjaro jacket goes in the left side case and the boots go in the right side case. When the weather gets really cold I wear them from the parking lot into the office. When the weather gets hot I switch to the mesh gear.

I've noticed that some of the smarter "management" people here understand protective gear. They call it "proactive risk reduction efforts", an appropriate term I don't mind being associated with. Think about it.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 8:29 am

Hey, Mark - my 'other' wallet will approach spending level sometime before next spring and I'm seriously considering adding a Roadcrafter to the wardrobe (the BMW Kalahari will remain, cuz it's been such a great jacket for the last six years and still works super and looks fine, butt ..). Coupla years ago, at the Dallas m/c show, I thought I wuz interested in a one-piece Fieldsheer outfit, until I tried it on. Dang thang musta weighed 30 pounds and wuz like trying to put on a mattress w/o handles!! Especially if you didn't take your boots off. The crowd laughed politely when I finally gave up trying to put the thang on; I maxed out the daily deodorant supply; and I think it wuz Grif who initiated the 'encore' chant!! Anywayz, I gave it a pass, although I think it wuz/iz a good product and maybe I could have perfected the gear-up process with a leetle practice.

So - my 'in advance of shopping' questions are: Will it fit in either of Toad's side compartments? Do you need to remove either boot to gear up? Does donning the 'Stich in public provide any entertainment factor to onlookers??

Thanks, Mark. Ignore question #3 - caffeine induced humor attempt!
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:06 am

If you are on a budget and protection isn't the highest concern, you may want to take a look at the Firstgear Thermogear 1 piece suit. Waterproof and good to temps down into the 20's.

http://www.tonker.com/shopsite_sc/st...iece_suit.html

I have 2 of these ordered and they should arrive in 2 days. I'll give some more input then. I found them new on ebay for $115.95 each.

HTH,

Ron
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
So - my 'in advance of shopping' questions are: Will it fit in either of Toad's side compartments?
Yep -- I usually throw mine in the trunk, but it fits comfortably in either saddlebag. I fold my in "thirds-kind of" -- upper portion with back protector in first so the protector isn't flexed, fold at hips (knees laid back toward the neck), then right above the kneepads (sort of a "Z" shape).

Quote:
Do you need to remove either boot to gear up?
No -- this was a **major** consideration for me, as boot removal at the office/elsewhere was something I did *not* want to have to deal with. One leg is open (zippered) all the way from the ankle to the neck; the other is zippered from ankle to top of the inseam, so there's a hole big enough for even one of your schooners

A side note: When I first received the suit, I thought it was *very* heavy, and very stiff. Now, I don't notice the weight. As to the stiffness, it softens with age; very comfortable now.

Quote:
Does donning the 'Stich in public provide any entertainment factor to onlookers??
Only if you're wearing a thong!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 2:36 pm

Mark - thanks a bunch for the personal usage experience with your Roadcrafter. Sure wish I'da listened to you and bunch of other folks several years ago --- I'm a slow learner, butt eventually git'er-done. Thanks again ('cept for that item in the too-personal last remark!!! - the one that'll prolly show up on my headstone!! ).

Best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in