Heated Gear - how much can the bike support? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Heated Gear - how much can the bike support?

I am looking to purchase heated gear for the wife and I to use on our K1200LT.

However, when I went to Gerbing's site and spec'd it out:

Gloves = 22w x 2
Socks - 22w x 2
Jacket Liner = 77w x 2
Pants Liner = 44w x 2

330 watts total

YIKES!!!!

Just what will the bike support?

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:11 pm

I believe that that is the maximum wattage the clothing will draw. With a temp controller I don't think that you would be drawing anywhere near that much power as I suspect that you would find the clothin way too hot. With the heated grips that your 06 has you should not need gloves so that will drop you consumption requirements some. On my 07 I find that with the heated seat and heated grips that I don't need heated gloves or pant liners either. I have ridden my bike down to 30 degrees and not been cold.

That being said the alternator on the K1200 puts out 840 watts of power so you should be able to calculate how much is available for accessories. I am not sure how much power the bike itsef uses but if you can't find the information here the dealer should be able to get it for you.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:35 pm

I ran all of my heated gear (same list as yours) while running SIX 55-watt halogens. No problem. Just make sure you run the heated-gear right off of the battery. And don't forget a dual-controller for you and the little lady.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I ran all of my heated gear (same list as yours) while running SIX 55-watt halogens. No problem. Just make sure you run the heated-gear right off of the battery. And don't forget a dual-controller for you and the little lady.
That's awesome information, and good news.

To clarify, since I would like the most flexibility possibility, would you recommend a dual Warm n Safe for both rider and passenger (so we can individually control upper and lower body heat)?

Recovering Harley Rider

post #5 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
To clarify, since I would like the most flexibility possibility, would you recommend a dual Warm n Safe for both rider and passenger (so we can individually control upper and lower body heat)?
Yes, the wife and I both have a portable dual Heat-Troller from Warm-n-Safe. My son also uses the Heat-Troller on his ATV.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the wife and I both have a portable dual Heat-Troller from Warm-n-Safe. My son also uses the Heat-Troller on his ATV.
Thanks man. I promised the wifey that this was the last Northeast winter we would ride and not be toasty warm.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
That's awesome information, and good news.

Yessir, definetily get the dual controllers!

For the first year I had the single controller but my legs / feet were always cold when my upper body was roasting.
A year ago I installed the dual permanent Heat-Trollers for myself and passenger. We are both happy and the bike alternator can handle everything as long as the revs are above 1500.

Some pics are in the Picasa link below under topic "Heat Trollers for Gerbings".

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Yessir, definetily get the dual controllers!

For the first year I had the single controller but my legs / feet were always cold when my upper body was roasting.
A year ago I installed the dual permanent Heat-Trollers for myself and passenger. We are both happy and the bike alternator can handle everything as long as the revs are above 1500.

Some pics are in the Picasa link below under topic "Heat Trollers for Gerbings".

Regards
Thanks Ari. I should have known the Farkle King would have info on this topic. Looking back, it would have been easy to predict that either you or Joe (or both as it were) would be the ones to come forward with info on this.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Just make sure you run the heated-gear right off of the battery.
I ran mine right off the battery until I forgot to turn off the controllers one day. Even with the liners unplugged, the controllers pulled enough current to kill my battery overnight. After that I ran them though a relay controlled by the seat heater.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I ran mine right off the battery until I forgot to turn off the controllers one day. Even with the liners unplugged, the controllers pulled enough current to kill my battery overnight. After that I ran them though a relay controlled by the seat heater.
The only thing drawing juice (when your liners are unplugged) is that little flashing LED(s) on the controller. That SURELY is not enough to drain your battery overnight. Me thinks something else was the culprit. With all due respect...
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 3:05 pm

I was very surprised, but it was the controllers. Just a note, they were the Gerbings dual controllers not the Heat Trollers. No problems since I installed the relay.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in