Can You See Your GPS with a Chicane Tank Bag? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Can You See Your GPS with a Chicane Tank Bag?

I'm trying to decide on a tank bag for my 2007 K1200LT with the stock GPS mount on top of the radio. Based on the various discussions on the topic here and some web surfing, I seem to be leaning toward the Chicane Canyon EX tank bag or the BMW tank bag.

Does the Chicane, which appears a lot taller than the BMW bag, hinder the viewing of a Garmin GPS? Can any body direct me to some pictures of the Chicane mounted on an LT with a GPS?

I emailed Chicane for info on their LT specific tank bag but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks...this is a great forum.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have the Chicane tank bag but do not have the GPS mounted above the radio, I don't think you will have a problem seeing it even with the bag fully expanded. That is unless you are less than 4' tall but then your feet would not reach the ground so you wouldn't be riding an LT anyway.

I love the bag by the way!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:46 am

No problem. I may have been leaning forward a little here...but your GPS will definitely be easily visible and reachable.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture Joe. I saw your picture before when I was searching this web site and it made me think I should be able to see my GPS over the Chicane.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Jim, I have the smaller BMW tank bag myself but I have seen the Chicane bags and I'm sure I would be able to see my Garmin GPS with a fully packed Chicane bag installed.

Then again, my GPS is mounted on a BMR shelf! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I got my tank bag thrown in with my (preowned) bike. I saw the Chicane bags for the first time at Spring Training Camp II last April. Several list members had them and they were really neat. If I did not have a bag I would definitely opt for the Chicane. I'd probably spring for the optional Camelbak (or equivalent) drinking bag.

The Chicane people were at CCR last year. Seemed like good folks. I have read that they are sometimes slow to respond to emails because it is a small company and they are often out of the office attending rallies. So don't be surprised or think they blew you off if you don't get an immediate response.

Some BMW dealers stock their stuff. My local dealer does, Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC. Give them a call and I'm sure they'd be glad to sell you one, probably the same price that Chicane would charge. The number is 864 232-2BMW; ask for Joey in Parts.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:25 pm

I have the Chicane bag with the factory mounted GPS on a 2005 LT. There is no problem whatsoever in viewing or adjusting via touchscreen or buttons with the Chicane in place. Enjoy.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 6:03 pm

I also have Chicane bag with Factory mount GPS and have no problems with it at all...........

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your inputs!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #9 of 9 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Smile

A little off topic but I thought I would pass on this experience. With the GPS mounted on top of the radio location, it is somewhat out of your direct line of sight of the road ahead. This means you may experience a distraction from the action on the road at a critical time if you look down at the GPS. I can state this because that very thing happened to me last year, resulting in a very serious incident caused by my inattention. I have since moved the GPS to a BMR shelf where it is more in my direct line of sight. Lots less distracting. YMMV.

Larry

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in