On Our Way to Duluth, MN - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

On Our Way to Duluth, MN

... to see Aerostich, of course.

Aerostich v. Motoport v. Olympia Phantom v. BMW gear v. <fill in the blank> is a frequent topic of conversation here -- and for good reason.

Mrs. hschisler and I decided today (after a year of jabbering about it) to jump in the car and drive to Duluth. We'll be there Monday morning when they open, and will try on the various Roadcrafter and Darien options. If anyone has any last-minute suggestions (what to look for, what not to bother with), please post them here; we'll be able to check email tomorrow night from another hotel, probably.

Why the car? Because the forecast for Duluth was snow showers and lows of 17 degrees. Not real conducive, IMO, to a LD bike ride.

Whether or not we come away from Aerostich with new gear is unknown, as they don't keep everything in all sizes in all colors in stock. They will have, however, something in every size to try on, and if we need alterations or want a different color we can wait for that.

I'll share our experience after we get back.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:00 pm

Talking Whoo hooo Road trip

Howard

While u and the misses are up there trying on the latest fashions .....
tell them to hurry every chance they get to complete my repairs

i broke the zipper in the darian pants and they are replacing it for me
also a few stitches on the coat

not bad for 5 years and 80,000 miles

my vote is Darien coat and pants in my opinion they are the most versatile
over a one piece but you and only you can make that call.

have a great trip and enjoy the store
i have only been there on the internet via their cams.

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #3 of 34 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
... If anyone has any last-minute suggestions (what to look for, what not to bother with), please post them here; we'll be able to check email tomorrow night from another hotel, probably.
Ok, I'll try a few.

Judy and I have made many trips along Superior's north shore and we enjoy -

The Glensheen Mansion in Duluth
World Famous Betty's Pies - just past Two Harbors
Split Rock Lighthouse-past Betty's Pies

All on Rt 61 heading north as I-35 ends. Everything up to Split Rock can be seen on an easy day trip from Duluth.

Also, in Duluth, the Maritime Museum at the lift bridge is pretty good.

Duluth has a new Aquarium but we never heard anything good about it and never visited ourselves.

Not sure where your staying, but Canal PArk, by the lift bridge, has lot's of the usual shopping and eateries. Grandma's 2 places are fairly popular.

Have a great time, and hope you find a suit that works.

Also, don't know if Lake Superior froze this year, but if it did and still is, you'll love that

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 5:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
...my vote is Darien coat and pants in my opinion they are the most versatile over a one piece but you and only you can make that call.

have a great trip and enjoy the store
i have only been there on the internet via their cams.
Thanks, Kim. Given that the Aerostich is already known to be a high-quality product and already meets other criteria, my main goal is ease of entry/exit. The Roadcrafter leaking zipper problem seems to affect some and not others, so if I end up going with that route and it happens to me... well, I have no one to blame by myself.

I can see the versatility behind a two-piece setup v. a suit, but I've never tried on the Darien pants so I don't know if they zip all the way to the floor or not. If they do we'll probably go that way.

BTW -- we stopped last night in Lebanon, IN, just north of Indianapolis. Don't know how far that is from you, but I'll wave as we're leaving later this morning.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #5 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Ok, I'll try a few.

Judy and I have made many trips along Superior's north shore and we enjoy -

The Glensheen Mansion in Duluth
World Famous Betty's Pies - just past Two Harbors
Split Rock Lighthouse-past Betty's Pies

All on Rt 61 heading north as I-35 ends. Everything up to Split Rock can be seen on an easy day trip from Duluth.

Also, in Duluth, the Maritime Museum at the lift bridge is pretty good.

Duluth has a new Aquarium but we never heard anything good about it and never visited ourselves.

Not sure where your staying, but Canal PArk, by the lift bridge, has lot's of the usual shopping and eateries. Grandma's 2 places are fairly popular.

Have a great time, and hope you find a suit that works.

Also, don't know if Lake Superior froze this year, but if it did and still is, you'll love that
Thanks John!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 8:28 am

Talking lebanon is close

Howard

The leg zipper on the pants does zip to the floor
for easy off and on

The 2 piece takes longer to put on but if you want only the coat
some days then that works also..

Although the one piece is quick on and goes over "office" attire and
no one knows that "biker" has a suit on.......

I will call you monday am if my stuff is done they may let you bring it
to me hmmmm????? if you are taking the same route back.... if you have other plans i know the UPS truck knows the way to my house.. so no worries

Ridesalot

post #7 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:03 pm

Thumbs up Did it by mail!

Howard,

I just did the Aerostich comparison by mail, by ordering both the Darien and a two-piece Roadcrafter. Shipping between Duluth and South Bend only takes two days, so I figured paying some shipping costs was a lot cheaper than traveling there (but perhaps not as much fun). They graciously told me to try both sets on, take a ride and decide before shipping one back for credit.

Didn't take me long to decide I liked the Roadcrafter much better, mainly because of how the suits fit ME. The Darien was like a large parka, much longer and blousier than I prefer. The pants fit me well in the waist and seat, but the wide width and bagginess of the legs didn't appeal to me. It does indeed have full length zippers, so you may really like them.

The two piece Roadcrafter impressed me. It fits a little sleeker and was more comfortable, perhaps not as stiff as the Darien. The legs of the pants fit snugger than the Dariens and have preformed knees which were more comfortable. The waist and seat of the Roadcrafter pants are supposed to fit loose, like overalls would. Attached to the jacket, one can still step into the suit like you would the one-piece Roadcrafter. I preferred, however, to couple the pants to one of their bib converters, so I can don the pants and jacket separately. I like to be able to take the jacket off in a restaurant without losing the pants if I so choose. I also have a shorter torso, so zippering the two pieces together would leave the pants a little droopier than I prefer. The bib converter lifted the pants up to where I want them (without pinching "the boys" of course), but retains the loose waist fit. Aerostich recommends the loose waist fit for comfort and suggest wearing your top layers under the bibs or tucked into the pants if attached to the jacket. Tried it and it works nicely...very comfy. The loose waist fit also promotes better air circulation in warmer weather and accomodated the optional hip pads very nicely.

I found the Roadcrafter jacket more comfortable with its microfiber lined collar. The sleeves and body of the jacket fit more like a motorcycle jacket than a loose fitting parka. No danger of sleeves fluttering in the breeze or elbow armor twisting out of position. I also purchased the back protector which I find comfortable and it doesn't interfere at all with using the Bakup backrest on my LT.

Compromises? Sure....the long leg zippers might leak in an all day rain. The softer collar doesn't fit quite as snug around the neck as the Darien, so there a chance for seepage there as well. BUT...that being said...I rode home from the open house at Grand Rapids BMW Saturday and encountered more than an hour of steady rain. With some layering under the jacket (temps were hovering about 50 degrees) the collar was snug enough and tucked under the edge of my helmet enough that I didn't get a drop down my neck. The leg zippers didn't leak either, so I stayed totally dry. Riding in 50 degree rain, I was toasty warm, thanks to my Gerbing jacket liner (which fit nicely under the jacket and bibs), and DRY...which was a delight. I loved being able to just keep riding instead of the ritual of pulling over to don a rain suit!

So....it will come down to your preferences of how the different suits fit YOU. Their service is TOP NOTCH, and they have earned my repeat business as a result. I was able to buy from in-stock merchandise by choosing the light grey jacket with black ballistics instead of the blue I'd originally thought I wanted. I went with black pants with black ballistics which is what I'd originally wanted and liked the contrasting black pants/grey jacket look. By choosing the two-piece suit, I was able to get a 44 jacket coupled with a 42-long (made for a 36 in waist) that fit me well. Because the pants are meant to be loose, there is more room for size error in the pants because one needs to zip them to the jacket or wear the bib converter to keep them up anyway. I was more concerned with the leg length and fit.

In a perfect world, I could have gone totally custom making the zipped together suit better fitting. A short jacket size with customed lengthened arms; and a regular pant with its slightly shorter rise with customed lengthened legs would have mated the zippers together giving me a better fit in "zipped together as one-piece" mode. BUT...custom jackets and pants are not returnable, so I was glad to receive the instant gratification of the in-stock sizes. Plus, I would have spent at least $100 more on the custom sizes. I ordered Monday evening (they're open til 8 pm) and the suits were on my doorstep Thursday! After trying the suits on for the fitting trial, I would have waited about 3-4 weeks for the customs if desired. Keeping the stock sizes will make them easier to sell somewhere down the line if I do later decide to go custom...or if I elect to change to a different suit later.

In summary...I'm very pleased! It's one classy suit that looks great, is comfortable (not as stiff as I thought it would be) and fits me well. I'll deal with the necessary fabric maintenance and possible waterproofness compromises as they occur. I liked the nylon lining of the Roadcrafter pants and jacket. Seemed better finished than the unlined Dariens. That may make them a little hotter in the summer...but since I resort to my First Gear Mesh when the weather gets really hot...that wasn't a concern to me. I'd planned all along for this to be my main cooler weather suit and it will be comfortable in any weather below 80 degrees.

Good luck at your "fitting" appointment. You will know exactly what you need by trying everything on. Smart move and a fun trip for both you and the Mrs.

Enjoy!

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #8 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Paul, thanks for the fabulous, detailed comments. It's that kind of detail (along with others, received from other threads previously) that brought me to this point. I believe you're right that a good fit can be obtained via mail order, but because of the size of the investment in this gear I need to be here in person to see if this is the gear I want to go with, and if so, to choose between Roadcrafter and Darien.

Tonight, we're in a hotel 20 miles up the road from Duluth, in Two Harbors, MN. When we got into town a couple of hours ago, coming through downtown Duluth, we found the Aerostich building. It looks like a very old abandoned warehouse (as I was already warned about), but the looks of the building is the last thing I'll care about when I'm using their products.

I borrowed a pair of Roadcrafter pants w/bib converter from a friend on this site and was pleased that the leg zippers didn't leak in a one-hour ride in steady rain. I'm curious how you avoided the dreaded wet crotch syndrome with your Roadcrafter in your ride in the rain?

I'm having trouble visualizing how the two-piece Roadcrafter can work just like the one-piece, but that question will be answered tomorrow morning!

Did you try the Darien Light gear?

Kim, we're going home a different route -- across the UP, down through MI, to Toledo and then Columbus and home. I know you're in Indiana but I don't know where. If you'd like to meet up somewhere in MI or OH on Tuesday to pick up your Aerostich gear I'd be happy to do that. If that doesn't make sense, route-wise, then we'll meet up some other time. If you want to make meeting arrangements, give me a call on my cell phone at your convenience. Don't tell anyone but the # is 740.974.3524.

John, Lake Superior is mostly clear, but there's a lot of ice still in the shallower portion of the lake between MN and WI. Very cool to see that much frozen water. We had dinner at Betty's Pies; nice dinner and nice people. Oh yeah -- nice pie! I can see that another trip to Duluth is needed; we'd like to see the area in summer or fall. We drove by the Mansion on the way to our hotel in Two Harbors.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Apr 1st, 2007 at 8:31 pm.
post #9 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 8:32 pm

Quote:
[b][u]
You don't mention it, but I'm curious if you got the dreaded wet crotch syndrome with your Roadcrafter in your ride in the rain?

Did you try the Darien Light gear?

Nope....stayed completely dry! I didn't order any of the Darien Light gear, but it's my understanding that it's cut the same as the regular Darien...just lighter weight fabric, which would make it cooler in the summer.

Good luck!

Paul

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #10 of 34 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 9:18 pm

make sure you wave to us all when you pass by the web camera
Enjoy your visit. They tried to get me to give up my Rukka jacket but I held on to it. But, I did buy their Kanetsu electric vest. Love it.

Doug Roorda
Mid TN
99 K1200LT
03 Ducati M800S-sold
02 F650GS-Dakar
03 DRZ400S
KJ4EER

post #11 of 34 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Update

The trip to Duluth was a success. I tried on the one-piece Roadcrafter, two-piece Roadcrafter, Darien pants, AD-1 pants, and Darien jacket. Ended up (after a lot of trying on & taking off) with the Darien pants and jacket.

We weighed the pros and cons of each setup. Really, really liked the fast on/off of the Roadcrafter, and was ready to walk out with a two-piece Roadcrafter until I tried the Darien pants on. They are almost as easy to get into and out of as the Roadcrafter pants and may do a better job of keeping me dry. I also like the zip-in Darien fleece liner because of its two-way zipper, something I look for in any jacket or coat I wear. I needed one alteration to the jacket, so since I would be waiting for it anyway I had them remove the map pocket velcro strips from the pants. I'll never use those. Should have them both in 4 weeks.

Aerostich has really done their homework with all of these products, and if I had a bag of money sitting around I'd have the Darien AND a one-piece Roadcrafter for commuting-only days.

Thanks to everyone -- in this thread, and in others -- who offered real-world experience and comments on this topic. Paul: if you're curious, I ended up with black pants and gray jacket, similar to your setup. I would have gone with that combination regardless of which Aerostich suit I ended up with. It may not be the most visible while on the bike, but it's the least intrusive when anywhere else.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 34 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:48 pm
Ted

Howard - let me be the first to congratulate you on your purchase! I really thought you would go w/ the 1-piece, but I'm glad you got to go and try on each one to find what was best for you. Enjoy!!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 34 Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:51 pm

Thumbs up Congrats, Howard!

Sounds like a very successful road trip. Glad you found what you were looking for!

Are we stylin' or WHAT!

Talk soon,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #14 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:23 am

I've been following this thread waiting on your response. Thanks for the update. I've been toying with the idea of the Darien myself.

I recall reading somewhere that Aerostitch is doing a re-design on the Darien jacket to be announced this spring. Has anyone else heard that?
post #15 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:56 am

Glad you're pleased with your purchase and trip. Congrats on your purchase and the comfort of knowing how it fits and feels in advance.

Hope we get to see you in your new uniform later in the month.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #16 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:42 am

Thumbs up new suit !!!!!!

Congrats Howard

You will really like them in the rain ... and the cold... and well you get the picture and that is what we want

PICTURES ..................

Ridesalot

post #17 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:00 am

Howard, Aerostitch should have given you the suit because after this thread there will be many suits sold as a result of your findings!

Now, I see a road trip to Minn soon!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:49 am

Finally!

Now maybe Howard can get out of that cage, and actually put a few miles on that bike. And I don't mean just back-n-forth to work.

See ya in Cambria Howard?
post #19 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

I still stand by the claim that my Darien jacket and pants would be the last to go from my closet if I could only have one set of gear. They remain the best things I've ever purchased for use on a bike. If I'm riding more than an hour or two, and the temp is below 85F, the Darien gets the job done like no other gear.

I liked my 1 Pc RC. and love my Oly Phantom for commuting but the Darien gets the nod as best overall.

Consider sending your new jacket to AnnieGS over on ADVrider.com. She does a micro-fiber collar mod that's worth it's weight in gold.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #20 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw
Sounds like a very successful road trip. Glad you found what you were looking for!

Are we stylin' or WHAT!

Talk soon,
Thanks, Paul.

Well, I don't think we'll be holding hands as we walk down the aisle of a rally , but yeah, I'd like to compare your black/gray Roadcrafter to my black/gray Darien. I got the new-style Darien and the "new gray" color is slightly different.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADIVER
I've been following this thread waiting on your response. Thanks for the update. I've been toying with the idea of the Darien myself.

I recall reading somewhere that Aerostitch is doing a re-design on the Darien jacket to be announced this spring. Has anyone else heard that?
I got the "new" Darien. I don't know what's different about it, but now it's sized like the Roadcrafter (40-42-44-46, etc.), instead of Small/Med/Lg/XL/XXL.

As Paul and others will tell you, it comes down to what fits you best and what you like best. I'd like to have a one-piece Roadcrafter for those commuting-only days, and the two-piece Darien for frequent on/off the bike days.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Howard - let me be the first to congratulate you on your purchase! I really thought you would go w/ the 1-piece, but I'm glad you got to go and try on each one to find what was best for you. Enjoy!!
The one-piece Roadcrafter is sooooooo attractive -- all things being equal -- because of its ease of use. Having never seen one before and with a few practice runs, I could put it on (zipped and ready to go) in maybe 20 seconds, as advertised. It don't get any easier than that! The Darien, with its full-zip pants and NO VELCRO on the storm flap is almost as simple, and you get the versatility of a two-piece suit and better rain protection.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #23 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
Congrats Howard

You will really like them in the rain ... and the cold... and well you get the picture and that is what we want

No pics to share since I have to wait up to 4 weeks to get it, because I had an alteration done. But here's me in front of where it all happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	10833  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Howard, Aerostitch should have given you the suit because after this thread there will be many suits sold as a result of your findings!

Now, I see a road trip to Minn soon!
That's funny. Too bad it's not true! But actually I think the Aerostich sells itself, like any quality product. I'm just another in a long line of customers.

Road trip to MN? Good idea. Just wait until spring really gets there. The forecast for TODAY in Duluth and the Upper Peninsula of MI was for 6"-18" of snow, depending on where you are. Yeah -- 18". We got out of Dodge just in time.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #25 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Now maybe Howard can get out of that cage, and actually put a few miles on that bike. And I don't mean just back-n-forth to work.

See ya in Cambria Howard?
Amen, bro. Had I been traveling solo it would have been on the bike. We had ice on windshields and streets the last 2 mornings in Duluth and the UP though, so morning departures would have been delayed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
... Consider sending your new jacket to AnnieGS over on ADVrider.com. She does a micro-fiber collar mod that's worth it's weight in gold.
Todd, that is SO good to know. That's one thing about the Darien jacket that jumped out at me -- that collar is a little harsh. I'll look her up.

I wonder if she does ride-ins, like the seat builders. Once I actually get this thing I'll be reluctant to do without it. Thanks!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:59 pm

Question Now that's curious..

[QUOTE=hschisler]I got the "new" Darien. I don't know what's different about it, but now it's sized like the Roadcrafter (40-42-44-46, etc.), instead of Small/Med/Lg/XL/XXL.

QUOTE]

My order was only two weeks ago, and I was sent what was obviously the "old style" Darien in a size large. Makes me wonder what the differences are in the "new" style. No mention was made to me about alternative sizing of a new style. What a difference a couple of weeks can make!

Ah well....I'm happy with my Roadcrafter!

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #28 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw
My order was only two weeks ago, and I was sent what was obviously the "old style" Darien in a size large. Makes me wonder what the differences are in the "new" style. No mention was made to me about alternative sizing of a new style. What a difference a couple of weeks can make!

Ah well....
Because I went in with the stated intention of trying on everything (literally), they threw a lot of info at me in a relatively short amount of time (that's another story, Part I). I'm sure they told me what was "new" about the new Darien, but all I can remember is

1. New Darien is sized like the Roadcrafter. For example, Large is now 2 sizes -- 44 or 46, for example. (Don't hold me to that) The idea is to fine-tune their sizings on the Darien. Old Darien is sized S/M/L/XL, etc. The gray color is different, but not cosmically-so when I saw the two side by side.

If you require no alterations on the Darien they will sell you the old style; if you need alterations you WILL get the new Darien, as they won't do alterations on the old ones any more. At least that's what they told me; there are a lot of new changes for 2007 and depending on who you talk to you'll get a different answer. There's still some confusion among the staff as the new info is disseminated throughout the company (that's another story, Part II).

2. New Darien is 600 denier Cordura. Old Darien is 500.
3. New Darien fleece liner is windstopper fleece. Old Darien fleece liner is not windstopper.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #29 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:09 pm

Howard, my experience was similar to yours. I thought I wanted a 2 pc Roadcrafter. When I called to order the rep suggested a Darien combo might be more suitable, especially in the Summer. I decided to order both, try them on and return one for credit.

I really liked the fit and feel of the Roadcrafter, but the Darien seemed more versatile so that's the one I kept. I agree with others who have said this is the most versatile outfit. With the fleece liner it's warm in the Winter (even more so since I added a Gerbings electric liner. In really hot weather I wear shorts and a breathable synthetic T-shirt underneath. It has kept me dry in many a downpour. And it just keeps on perking along, year after year. If I get it sweaty, I pull the pads and throw it in the wash. I can pull the pants on over jeans, khakis, shorts or a business suit. I can stow the jacket and the black Darien pants look OK to wear into a store or restaurant.

My only complaint, I guess, is that the cut of the Darien jacket is not very flattering. Sort of wears like a sack. The large size is a bit blowsy on me, but then again it gives me room to layer. Then again, form follows function, right?

If all my gear was lost and I had to start over again I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Darien combo for all-around wear. The only change I might make is to go with a pants color other than black; might be a little cooler in Summer.

By the way I had not heard about a change to the Darien. I checked the website and it still shows "alpha" sizing. Maybe they need to update the site?
post #30 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
...My only complaint, I guess, is that the cut of the Darien jacket is not very flattering. Sort of wears like a sack. The large size is a bit blowsy on me, but then again it gives me room to layer. Then again, form follows function, right?

By the way I had not heard about a change to the Darien. I checked the website and it still shows "alpha" sizing. Maybe they need to update the site?
Agreed -- the Darien jack is large, and very long -- even for a full touring jacket. Against their specific advise on this issue I will probably ride with the jacket unzipped from the bottom about 6", as I do now with my present jacket. They caution against (1) losing protection from the elements and (2) decreased safety in the event of a get-off. If it rains I'll zip it all the way down. If I crash I'll try not to slide on my belly.

Correct -- the web site mentions nothing about changes to Darien or other products and this is causing consternation on the part of some of the staff. This will work itself out over time.

I think what "closed it" for me on the Darien was that their fleece liner zips into the jacket (nothing new there, but my present fleece won't do that), and the fleeze has a two-way zipper. I love two-way zippers. Sit down to dinner, zip up the fleece liner from the bottom. Get on the bike and want to zip the bottom of the jacket open? The fleece comes along with it. That's a nice touch.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #31 of 34 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:36 pm

... Against their specific advise on this issue I will probably ride with the jacket unzipped from the bottom about 6", as I do now with my present jacket.

I'm a big fan of two-way zippers myself and have found that any jacket longer than waist length, including my new Roadcrafter, fits a little better while on the bike by unzipping the bottom about 6 inches. Keeps the chest from poofing out. I still get coverage over the Roadcrafter pants with the jacket unzipped a bit from the bottom.

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #32 of 34 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:44 am

Lightbulb coat collar

Quote:
Todd, that is SO good to know. That's one thing about the Darien jacket that jumped out at me -- that collar is a little harsh. I'll look her up.

I wonder if she does ride-ins, like the seat builders. Once I actually get this thing I'll be reluctant to do without it. Thanks!

On the jacket itself no lining except the gortex but the inner jacket will keep you from abrading ur neck

you have to keep the collar of the inner fleece jacket pulled up until
the jacket "sets"

Thanks for the Picture Howard !!! hehe
next time i will be more specific on the subject

2 years ago we were going across the desert in Nevada
my brother-in-law chose the "sunscreen" and t-shirt look
I kept my darian coat on.......

when we stopped for water and fuel i put a cup of ice in each of the large outer pockets ( I can't take the credit for this idea i had read it in one of Aerostich catalogs) man it was like air conditioning.........

As the ice melted it did run down the outside of the coat and unto my lap
which it quickly evaporated in the intense heat and the speed..

at the end of the day my brother-in-law was sunburned and I was a
comfortable shade of Pink ( I am a red head for those who don't know)

I don't think you could do this with a leather jacket and have as good of results ... one safety note make sure your key fob is not in your "ice" pocket

Ridesalot

post #33 of 34 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 1:38 pm

great thread

great discussion. thanx guys.
post #34 of 34 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
... Consider sending your new jacket to AnnieGS over on ADVrider.com. She does a micro-fiber collar mod that's worth it's weight in gold.
I contacted her and she replied right away. For $50 she puts a nice ultrasuede liner on the inside of the Darien collar, including rolling it over the top, then ships it back to you. She even sent me a photo. The fabric she uses is the same stuff Aerostich puts on the Roadcrafter.

I asked about doing a ride-in because I don't want to do without the jacket for that much time. She's willing to make that work. I can wait on it while she does the work.

Thanks again for that valuable tip.

Oh yeah -- she's in Lafayette, IN. Can't be too far from Ridesalot and some other Indiana guys on this site.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in