Fort Worth Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Fort Worth Rack

I want to ride two up with the top case removed so that I can carry a tent, two sleeping bags, and two sleeping pads. Any comments on using the Fort Worth Rack for this application. Afraid with the top case, two people and adding a duffle bag up high with around 25 lbs would be a handfull.

Anyone ride this way with two up and camping gear (real camping I ride the GS with all the camping year, only one rider no passenger).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 5:49 pm
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf-transplant
I want to ride two up with the top case removed so that I can carry a tent, two sleeping bags, and two sleeping pads. Any comments on using the Fort Worth Rack for this application. Afraid with the top case, two people and adding a duffle bag up high with around 25 lbs would be a handfull.

Anyone ride this way with two up and camping gear (real camping I ride the GS with all the camping year, only one rider no passenger).
I rode a GS 2 up for years and carried camping gear in just the manner you describe and had no problems with it or any issues with handling. The gear I carried included a 6 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, a double air matters, and 2 pillows. All this, along with all tent goodies such as poles, pegs and tie downs were packed inside a yellow white water bag and strapped onto the GS rack. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with my '05 LT but only on my F W rack. I would not carry all this on top of my top box. HTH
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Cool Right Idea

You are very wise to think this out. I rode from Denver to San Fran 2 up and loaded down. Too much weight on top and it made the bike almost dangerous to ride. When I got to San Fran I shipped a lot back to save weight and it made an enjoyable ride. I have not used the mount you are talking about, but you have the right idea.

Territup and keep at least one wheel down!!

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 8th, 2007, 6:21 am
Gold Supporter

You are right but...

I had a large fully packed BMW bag on the top rack and found the bike to be even less stable at slow speeds of stop then it is unloaded. I change to a Chicane bag (lower Profile & Smaller) and now I never take it off. There is less wind resistance also.

You can pack without the top case and you may be able to carry more bulk but you probably won't carry as much gear and it will all be exposed to prying eyes and finger when you stop for lunch or sightseeing.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Thumbs up Ft. Worth Rack

On a trip to Alaska my brother rode 2 up on his LT with the Ft. Worth rack loaded with all their clothes for both warm weather in the lower 48 and the much colder weather in Alaska along with all the camping gears for the 3 plus weeks on the road - Salina, OK to Alaska and back. All I can say it worked very well for them. Attached is a picture of his bike the morning they left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0001819.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	604.8 KB
ID:	10521  
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:17 pm

I took my top case off and went to the Ft Worth rack. I don't ride two up but I pack lots of gear on it, it is very sturdy. If you needed a bigger rack you can unbolt or order the rack without the grab rail, then mount the rack in the rear position this would give you more balanced room with your pack up to the rear of the back seat. I use a BMR flatbed over the back seat and the FT Worth rack and it's like a pick up truck or truly a Light Truck.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in