Olympia Phantom One Piece Suit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Olympia Phantom One Piece Suit

Anyone have any personal experience with this new suit? Looks like a nice alternative to the Roadcrafter and Spidi H2OUT suit. And FAR less expensive.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Thanks,

B

"Never enough garage space"

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati Multistrada Gran Turismo
'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Been do'in some ivestigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfry
Anyone have any personal experience with this new suit? Looks like a nice alternative to the Roadcrafter and Spidi H2OUT suit. And FAR less expensive.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Thanks,

B
Their equipment gets generally favourable reviews all around and I've spoken with the Olympia office and asked about the price difference with the roadcrafter; They said that the market was ready for a quality suit without the hefty margins.
I suppose Aerostitch has had the lion's share of market for that type of gear and has enjoyed the ability to keep prices high.
THe guy I spoke with said he had been testing one fo rthe compnay for the past 5 moths or so and had found it to be toally waterproof and comfortable.
I asked whether the HI -VIZ yellow was a flourescent based die as that apparently will fade relatively fast. He said that it is the same die as found in their AST jackets and they hadn't had any complaints about them so far. ( I guess those jackets have been out for a while)

THe 500 denier Cordura, the CE flex armour, the scotchlite piping and 2000 denier ballistic cordura patches, the vaunted venting system all sound good to me and I think I'm leaning to getting one in the next month.

Always interested in hearing more about the company's products but they look promising so far.

I'll keep you posted after I drive to upstate NY to try it on. ( no dealers in Canada except in Vancouver, 6,000 km from where I am).

JS
post #3 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, all good to know. I'm pretty interested myself. Hey, come to think of it, if you love it, pick up a gray and black one in an XL for me. Ha, ha.

B

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale

post #4 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 7:34 pm

I have no experience with this suit because I haven't seen it yet. My local BMW dealer will be carrying it when it's available. He said "mid-February", but I still haven't seen it. I have seen Olympia's 2007 catalog, however, and the Phantom looks to be a typically high-quality Olympia product -- a full-suit version of their AST jacket, if you will.

We had a little discussion about the Phantom suit here just a couple of weeks ago.

Looking forward very much to seeing it for the reasons mentioned previously: high-quality, far less expensive than an Aerostich, modern design, etc., etc. Time will tell!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Yep, saw the post, thanks. I was just hoping someone had first hand experience already... guess it's too soon to know. If we waited for the various trade mags to review, it would be '08 before we knew anything!
I actually saw a review for the Roadcrafter a few issues ago, but then I guess they have to keep repeating themselves for new riders, huh?

B

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #6 of 44 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Benjamin, I just took a look at your profile and see you're in Minneapolis; that's just down the road from Duluth, isn't it? It's been a goal of mine for some time to ride to Duluth to check out the Aerostich products in person. You're pretty close; if you haven't already, why not pay them a visit and try their gear on? When the Phantom is available for in-person inspection you'll have something to compare it with.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 6:45 am

This is definitely a suit worth looking into. I wonder if they make it in short and stubby?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #8 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
This is definitely a suit worth looking into. I wonder if they make it in short and stubby?
It's made in sizes S - XL.

This is one area in which the Aerostich could be a better way to go for you (or all of us), Brett: they offer alterations. Lengthen or shorten sleeves and legs, add a "spacer" to the waist area, etc.

I tried to include a sizing chart from Olympia's site in this post, but couldn't keep it formatted properly. Anyway, I'm 6'1", but according to their sizing chart I'd have to lose, uh, several pounds to fit into an XL, which is what I usually wear. My guess is a 2XL will accommodate me and a Gerbing jacket liner. YMMV.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:03 am.
post #9 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 7:05 am

Yep, but if I can fit into an XL (or whatever), the 400+ in savings would be nice. If not, well it looks like a trip to MN to "fit" a new suit would be in order.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 7:24 am

Sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It's made in sizes S - XL.

This is one area in which the Aerostich could be a better way to go for you (or all of us), Brett: they offer alterations. Lengthen or shorten sleeves and legs, add a "spacer" to the waist area, etc.

I tried to include a sizing chart from Olympia's site in this post, but couldn't keep it formatted properly. Anyway, I'm 6'1", but according to their sizing chart I'd have to lose, uh, several pounds to fit into an XL, which is what I usually wear. My guess is a 2XL will accommodate me and a Gerbing jacket liner. YMMV.
They are offering up to 4 xl according to thier toll free line people.
THey're not offering any back and forth alterations like Aerostich but, s - 4 xl should cover most sitations ( hopefully)

If not I'll bet there's a local seamstress shop that will be able to make adjustments for a modest sum.
post #11 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Benjamin, I just took a look at your profile and see you're in Minneapolis; that's just down the road from Duluth, isn't it? It's been a goal of mine for some time to ride to Duluth to check out the Aerostich products in person. You're pretty close; if you haven't already, why not pay them a visit and try their gear on? When the Phantom is available for in-person inspection you'll have something to compare it with.

Yep, I know Aerostich very well... been there plenty of times and have actually owned a Roadcrafter (48R) in the past. I just wasn't crazy about the leaking, the bulkiness and the heat (yes, I tried filling the pockets with ice in the Summer).

Just figured there's finally something comparable if not better on the market.

Looking forward to the Phantom! But if not, I've got a 2 piece Rukka that I've found hard to beat for 5 years.

Thanks,

B

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #12 of 44 Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by starky
They are offering up to 4 xl according to thier toll free line people.
THey're not offering any back and forth alterations like Aerostich but, s - 4 xl should cover most sitations ( hopefully)

If not I'll bet there's a local seamstress shop that will be able to make adjustments for a modest sum.
Good point, and I read on Olympia's site that this suit's bottom 6" are made expressly to be altered -- it's easy to cut off excess length and re-hem the pants.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm all over this suit. MotoLiberty in Dallas is supposed to have them in stock this week (2/26).

I've been looking for a replacement for my 1PC 'Stich for some time now. Great suit but it leaks no matter what I do.

The competition for any replacement of my 'Stich has to be 1PC and must be waterproof WITHOUT AN INTERNAL LINER. That leaves:

Sidi Admiral - Great reviews but only comes in black and $900+

REV'IT Infinity - VERY positive early press but at $1,100+ MSRP, it's not for me

Olympia Phantom - Construction similar to their AST jacket which gets fantastic reviews. $449 for a one piece suit that's waterproof sounds like a winner to me.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #14 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 8:06 pm

I Had a Phantom on Today

My local BMW dealer (BMW of Columbus) got their shipment in today and they called me. I stopped by on the way home from work and tried this new suit on. Initial impression: typical Olympia quality but not sure I like their implementation of a one-piece suit. Still undecided, and still thinking of visiting Aerostich in Duluth to try their product on.

I've never had an Aerostich on but I've seen people put them on and take them off. Nothing apparently is easier or faster to take on and off (20 seconds on and 10 seconds off, as advertised), but most owners will tell you they leak, given enough time in the rain. I was hoping the new Olympia suit would be as easy as the Aerostich. No way.

I'm 6'1" and 240#. First tried on an XL. OK, if I don't move and don't even think about sitting down, the XL will work, so let's try the 2XL! 2XL was a little snug; took out the full-length liner. Yes, that fit nicely but do I want to buy something and not use it as intended (i.e., not be able to use the liner when it's cold)? Tried on the 3XL; too large.

The bottom 5"-6" can be cut to fit and re-hemmed. This means the zippers (outer and inner garments) don't go to the floor. This makes putting boots on difficult.

Nice build quality, nice features (waterproof pockets, lost of adjustability, vents look like they'll actually work), but I'm not used to a one-piece suit and I'm not sure yet if it's what I want.

My major complaint: the long zipper stops above he knee. The Aerostich long zipper goes to the floor; this is a HUGE difference and defines the way you get into the Phantom. I started to undo the leg zipper to put the suit on with boots but you have to go through velcro from hip to floor, then TWO zippers (outer garment and inner liner), then re-do all that stuff. Way too fussy for my taste. I ended up putting the suit on, then putting on boots and that was not easy or convenient.

I'm looking for something I can throw on easily/quickly to and from work. I wear jeans at work, and the Phantom didn't fit the bill today. Putting the suit on, the jeans pushed the liner out through the bottom of the outer garment, leaving me with a bundle of liner material to do something with. Scissors came to mind.

Keep in mind the liner doesn't make the suit waterproof. The outer garment is waterproof by itself. The liner is for additional warmth when needed.

I've heard the Aerostich softens up a bit after use. I'm assuming the Phantom will do the same. It's not as stiff as an Aerostich, but if it loosened up a little it would make putting the boots on a lot easier. That's my chief complaint at this point.

Still pondering, and still haven't ruled out an AST jacket and pants, or similar two-piece suit.

And by the way -- I was pretty PO'd that I looked nothing like the studly Olympia model in the catalog, strutting away from his biplane in the Phantom suit.

Also got a look at their new hi-viz red AST jacket. Think Hunter Orange, kind of. The hi-viz yellow is brighter and more... hi-viz.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:13 pm.
post #15 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Howard:
I can hardly wait to try one on. THe had office suggested 3 xl for me.
If it is too difficult to deal with on an ongoing basis then, like you say, it might be a deal killer.
I'll let you know.
post #16 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Howard:
I can hardly wait to try one on. THe had office suggested 3 xl for me.
If it is too difficult to deal with on an ongoing basis then, like you say, it might be a deal killer.
I'll let you know.
Please do.

I may go back for another "fitting", but right now I'm just disappointed... mostly disappointed that my expectations were over-inflated. I was thinking I hit the lottery with this suit -- better/newer design than an Aerostich at half the cost. At 15 minutes to get the @#$% thing on, I'll go with the Aerostich and live with the leakage problem.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the detailed review. I felt like I was trying it on with you... well, so to speak. I'm pretty bummed too, but will reserve true judgment til I actually try one on. Having owned a Roadcrafter, making my comparisons will be easier. I'll also be able to weigh the pros in cons... for me anyway.

Save that write up... submit it to ON or another rag... you could have a new gig on your hands... ha, ha.

B

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #18 of 44 Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:38 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Talking Go with the Aerostich

After reading Howard's excellent review I am glad I spend the extra bucks and bought an Aerostich. It is truly a 10 seconds on and off ordeal and the zipper go all the way to the floor so you put your boots on first.

The best part about the Aerostich is that it is made to fit you!!!
Who is going to trim 3 or 4 inches off the legs and arms of the suit and the liner for you??? How much will that cost???

I have never had any leaking with my Aerostich... I do make sure that it is laundered and waterproofed correctly.(spend the bucks for the good water proofing....)

I own other Olympia gear and it is great, but the one piece is a whole different beast...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #19 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:56 am
Ted

Quote:
I'm looking for something I can throw on easily/quickly to and from work. I wear jeans at work, and the Phantom didn't fit the bill today.
Howard - sounds like we are about the same size - I'm 6'0" & 235#. I ordered a 48 Long, but needed the sleeves and knees adjusted. After reading your review and what you are looking for, the 'stich is the way to go. It is a great garment for commuting to work - easy on/off and fits in the topcase.

I'd strongly suggest driving/riding the 860 miles and have them fit it. Although they do a good job fitting remotely, I know mine would fit even better having them see it on me - or even better yet - see it on you on the bike. (w/ winter this may not fit into your schedule).

I love mine until temps get into the 90's, then you better stay moving @ freeway speeds - else it's time for the Venting Machine! My ass looks better in the Venting pants, too....there's a lot of room in the seat of the 'stich.

Unfortunately, there is no one perfect garment, but if I could only have just one it would be the Aerostich.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #20 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 5:53 am

Quote:
Please do.

I may go back for another "fitting", but right now I'm just disappointed... mostly disappointed that my expectations were over-inflated. I was thinking I hit the lottery with this suit -- better/newer design than an Aerostich at half the cost. At 15 minutes to get the @#$% thing on, I'll go with the Aerostich and live with the leakage problem.
Howard, nothing more miserable than having a moist crotch. Make sure you make the right choice.

I, like you, am looking to replace my old suits. I am hanging on your every word for advice on a new suit!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #21 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Having lived with a 1PC 'Stich for my daily commute going on 4 seasons now, I can say that the extra time in/out of the suit will not bother me at all. Getting wet bothers me a lot.

I'll gladly trade an extra couple of mins. each way to stay dry.

EDIT: I'm 6'0 and 215lbs. My 48R Roadcrafter fits fine over clothes/heated gear and is for sale. Black/Silver in great condition. PM if interested.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #22 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:35 am Thread Starter

PM sent.

B

'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #23 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Leaking or Non-Leaking Aerostich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
...I have never had any leaking with my Aerostich... I do make sure that it is laundered and waterproofed correctly.(spend the bucks for the good water proofing....)
How does one reconcile the leaking v. non-leaking Aerostich comments? Some guys swear it leaks, others say it never leaked. Which is correct?

Is the leak potential lessened by the LT's protection from the elements?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
...I, like you, am looking to replace my old suits. I am hanging on your every word for advice on a new suit!
Go try on the Phantom. Maybe you'll figure out the secret try-on method!

Come to think of it: let's all go try one on and report back here. Maybe you can tell me the secret method of putting it on in under 10 minutes. The long zipper ends above the knee, so the sequence is different than the Aerostich.

Maybe this is another way of looking at it: Buy the Phanton at half the cost of the Aerostich, take the liner out (and leave it out); it's not too hard to put on that way. Remember: the liner doesn't make this suit waterproof, the outer garment itself is waterproof.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 28th, 2007 at 10:05 pm.
post #25 of 44 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Ted

Mine hasn't leaked - been in several light rains and one extremely heavy downpour - all trips less than 70 miles and all on the freeway. In the heavy downpour my gloves (elkskin ropers) totally soaked through. Also, in the heavy downpour I had more trouble with visibility (rain collecting on top of the windshield, then spraying onto faceshield) than I did with getting wet.

Guess it ultimately has a lot to do with your speed - get that airflow moving over you and you'll stay pretty dry.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #26 of 44 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

How's that for an early impression

I picked up the new Olympia Phantom in 2XL (Grey/Black) at lunch today from MotoLiberty in Dallas. Great folks! They had 2 high vis and 1 grey hanging on the rack. My eyes still hurt from looking at those high vis suits

I will be posting pics and lots of detailed impressions ASAP.

As a reminder, I own both a Darien jacket/pants combo and a 1 Pc Roadcrafter. I have been (and remain) a huge supporter of Aerostich. I just can't get my RC to be waterproof and my Darien works fine for trips but sucks for commuting.

I'm 6'0", 210lbs, 32" inseam, 38" waist (dang it). My RC is a 48R with no mods. I use the 'Stich back pad but not the hip pads.

First of all, the feel and appearance of the Phantom is first rate. It's a solid piece of gear. Without the removable liner, it's somewhat lighter than the RC. It still has a nylon liner (like the 'Stich) but the overall combination of materials for the shell is slightly softer and overall weighs less by a small percentage.

The removable liner has the feel and constancy of a Gerbing jacket liner and will be very rarely needed here in Texas. However, it will allow for some very cold riding without electrics if desired. Since my legs don't tend to get cold anyway, I'll likely skip it even on frosty days and stick with my Gerbing jacket under the Phantom.

Biggest "drawback" to the Phantom vs. the RC is entry/exit time. If that is your first and most important criteria for a suit, you may be disappointed. But keep in mind this is relative. I can don my RC in 20-30 secs depending on if I have to feed my Gerbing wires in/out or not. I can exit the RC in similar time and I can do both with my boots on.

The Phantom entry/exit dance is a bit different. Without the liner, it's a 60 sec. affair (but I've only tried it twice). If you're a news reporter, that's a 100% increase but to me, it's a non issue. I'll gladly trade that extra 30 sec. for a truly waterproof suit. And trust me, this baby is going to be TRULY waterproof (more on that later).

With the removable liner in place, entry/exit time goes up to the 2-3 min range since you have twice the zippers and more velcro to wrangle. If you commute in really cold climes, this could be a major drawback. Again, for me it's a non issue due to my belief that the liner is staying in the saddlebag for most of its life.

There are zippers running down the outside of the legs. I found you only need these open about 1/3 of the way up from the cuff to get your feet in. You do have to remember to put both feet in first (unlike the RC).

Once on, the suit fits almost identical to the RC. Sleeves may be slightly longer (1/2") but otherwise it felt the same. Leg fit and length was identical to my 48R RC.

Now some details:

Hugh wins for the Phantom:

Venting - Very nice vents run the full length of the arms. These are covered with a zipper and a flap. When closed, no way water's getting in. When open, the flap can be velcroed back out of the way and the other side of the vent cinched open with a draw strap. Same for the vertical chest vents. The vertical back vents don't cinch open but are otherwise similar.

Collar - Very well executed. Lined with comfy neoprene and closes up snug on my 16" neck with lots of adjustment either way.

Cuffs - No zippers like the 'Stich. Just big wide openings that can be cinched down with generous velcro. Easier for me as my gloves always prevent the 'Stich cuffs from closing correctly.

Weather protection. The shell is waterproof so the removable lining is not required (this is a must have for me to consider any gear). The zipper arrangement and the addition of an internal bib that runs from your stomach to your thighs means no water's coming in that way for sure. Good bye soggy crotch!!! :clap The leg zippers are fully covered and have an internal flap (as does the main zipper) so no water is coming in there. Cuffs and collar also cinch down real tight if desired. Damn near a dry suit.

Price - $449 vs. $787

Neutral Items:

Pockets - Seems to be a wash. I'll miss the giant right breast pocket of the RC but it's replaced by a giant pocket on the back that will also hold my water bladder so no biggie. Lots of other waterproof pockets (and a couple of non-waterproof ones)

No map pocket velcro on the arm or thigh but I never used it on the 'Stich

Reflectivity - About the same number of square inches of 3M reflective material, just distributed differently. i.e. there are fewer big patches but lots more piping.

Big wins for the RC:

Entry/Exit - It just don't get any easier but it comes with a soggy cost (at least for me).

Armor - The Phantom armor (including back pad) is more like that of other vendors. i.e. CE rated but thinner than the stuff 'Stich uses. Seems to be well positioned and doesn't move around so that's OK but I'm guessing it offers slightly less protection. Just speculation at this point.

Much more to follow.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #27 of 44 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 2:17 pm

Thanks for the good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd

I picked up the new Olympia Phantom in 2XL (Grey/Black) at lunch today from MotoLiberty in Dallas. Great folks! They had 2 high vis and 1 grey hanging on the rack. My eyes still hurt from looking at those high vis suits

As a reminder, I own both a Darien jacket/pants combo and a 1 Pc Roadcrafter. I have been (and remain) a huge supporter of Aerostich. I just can't get my RC to be waterproof and my Darien works fine for trips but sucks for commuting.

I'm 6'0", 210lbs, 32" inseam, 38" waist (dang it). My RC is a 48R with no mods. I use the 'Stich back pad but not the hip pads.

First of all, the feel and appearance of the Phantom is first rate. It's a solid piece of gear. Without the removable liner, it's somewhat lighter than the RC. It still has a nylon liner (like the 'Stich) but the overall combination of materials for the shell is slightly softer and overall weighs less by a small percentage.

The removable liner has the feel and constancy of a Gerbing jacket liner and will be very rarely needed here in Texas. However, it will allow for some very cold riding without electrics if desired. Since my legs don't tend to get cold anyway, I'll likely skip it even on frosty days and stick with my Gerbing jacket under the Phantom.

Biggest "drawback" to the Phantom vs. the RC is entry/exit time. If that is your first and most important criteria for a suit, you may be disappointed. But keep in mind this is relative. I can don my RC in 20-30 secs depending on if I have to feed my Gerbing wires in/out or not. I can exit the RC in similar time and I can do both with my boots on.

The Phantom entry/exit dance is a bit different. Without the liner, it's a 60 sec. affair (but I've only tried it twice). If you're a news reporter, that's a 100% increase but to me, it's a non issue. I'll gladly trade that extra 30 sec. for a truly waterproof suit. And trust me, this baby is going to be TRULY waterproof (more on that later).

With the removable liner in place, entry/exit time goes up to the 2-3 min range since you have twice the zippers and more velcro to wrangle. If you commute in really cold climes, this could be a major drawback. Again, for me it's a non issue due to my belief that the liner is staying in the saddlebag for most of its life.

There are zippers running down the outside of the legs. I found you only need these open about 1/3 of the way up from the cuff to get your feet in. You do have to remember to put both feet in first (unlike the RC).

Once on, the suit fits almost identical to the RC. Sleeves may be slightly longer (1/2") but otherwise it felt the same. Leg fit and length was identical to my 48R RC.

Now some details:

Venting - Very nice vents run the full length of the arms. These are covered with a zipper and a flap. When closed, no way water's getting in. When open, the flap can be velcroed back out of the way and the other side of the vent cinched open with a draw strap. Same for the vertical chest vents. The vertical back vents don't cinch open but are otherwise similar.

Collar - Very well executed. Lined with comfy neoprene and closes up snug on my 16" neck with lots of adjustment either way.

Cuffs - No zippers like the 'Stich. Just big wide openings that can be cinched down with generous velcro. Easier for me as my gloves always prevent the 'Stich cuffs from closing correctly.

Weather protection. The shell is waterproof so the removable lining is not required (this is a must have for me to consider any gear). The zipper arrangement and the addition of an internal bib that runs from your stomach to your thighs means no water's coming in that way for sure. Good bye soggy crotch!!! :clap The leg zippers are fully covered and have an internal flap (as does the main zipper) so no water is coming in there. Cuffs and collar also cinch down real tight if desired. Damn near a dry suit.

Price - $449 vs. $787

Neutral Items:

Pockets - Seems to be a wash. I'll miss the giant right breast pocket of the RC but it's replaced by a giant pocket on the back that will also hold my water bladder so no biggie. Lots of other waterproof pockets (and a couple of non-waterproof ones)

Reflectivity - About the same number of square inches of 3M reflective material, just distributed differently. i.e. there are fewer big patches but lots more piping.

Big wins for the RC:

Entry/Exit - It just don't get any easier but it comes with a soggy cost (at least for me).

Armor - The Phantom armor (including back pad) is more like that of other vendors. i.e. CE rated but thinner than the stuff 'Stich uses. Seems to be well positioned and doesn't move around so that's OK but I'm guessing it offers slightly less protection. Just speculation at this point.

Much more to follow.
With no disrespect to yogi Howard, I thought that the 10 - 15 minute put on time was a little long. It may require some practice but times I'm sure will improve the more you use it.

I can hardly wait to give it a try.

JS
post #28 of 44 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 9:10 pm

Quote:
With no disrespect to yogi Howard, I thought that the 10 - 15 minute put on time was a little long. It may require some practice but times I'm sure will improve the more you use it.

I can hardly wait to give it a try.

JS
Starky, none taken! My problem was the first suit I put on (size XL) was uh... too small. I tried to close the zippers a few times before I realized it wasn't gonna work. (And it was at this exact moment that Rock's "nut-grabber" comment came to mind...) The second suit (2XL) was the right size but I couldn't prevent the liner material from squishing out the bottom of the pants legs. I futzed with that for too long before deciding to try the suit on without the liner. That worked a lot better, but still not 2-3 minutes as Todd was able to do. But then, he's an experienced Aerostich user. I agree that on/off time would improve with practice, like most things.

I was turned off by 2 sets of zippers, 2 sets of velcro, and the long zipper terminating above the knee. Still, the Phantom is a nice product and might have a place in my closet!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #29 of 44 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 9:17 pm

Todd, thanks for the review.

I'm curious why you said the Darien sucks for commuting. Why is that -- not as fast on/off as the Roadcrafter?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #30 of 44 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Todd, thanks for the review.

I'm curious why you said the Darien sucks for commuting. Why is that -- not as fast on/off as the Roadcrafter?
Well, for me, I have to either remove my boots or un-snap and un-zip the pants to get them on. That's a pain for me.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #31 of 44 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

More observations:

I wore the suit this morning on my 30 min. commute (must move farther from office...). Temps in the mid-40s. I did not use the liner. I did wear my Gerbing jacket but didn't turn it on. Took the KLX since the FJR is down for farkling so I had no wind protection. Very comfortable.

The Good: Suit works well at all speeds I hit today (top 75). Feels just about like the RC when on and off the bike except it's lighter and softer. The shell material is softer now than my RC is after many miles and several wash/dry cycles. Easier to walk in too.

The Not As Good: As stated, not as fast in/out as the RC. This has less to do with the zipper placement than with the seriously tenacious, super duper velcro on the storm flaps that cover all the zippers. I practiced getting into and out of the suit a few times now and have it down. It can be done in 2-3 min. as stated. However, to really make the process hum, it's better to have the leg zips up 2/3 when you start instead of the 1/3 I thought earlier AND to be seated when you put your legs through. This is not mandatory but helps a lot. This is a knock vs. the RC since you don't have to mess with the snap or velcro on the RC cuffs. Again, for ME, this is a worthy trade off to keep dry. YMMV.

Correction: The holes at the top of the leg zipper runs are not quite big enough to pass the Gerbing coax power cord connector. I had to enlarge the left side hole with a 1/8" vertical cut to accommodate the connector. It's totally hidden and not an issue but still, it is a modification.

PS: lots of pics in the ADVrider thread mentioned earlier.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #32 of 44 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:20 pm

Thanks again, Todd. Keep the comments and observations coming; there appear to be several people on this site who are looking at this product. I may go to my local BMW shop to try it on again tomorrow morning. Wish I had an Aerostich on hand to compare it with!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #33 of 44 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 7:47 am

Roadcrafter Video

Found this on Google Video; it's a clip of a guy putting a one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter on. Posted here, as it seems applicable to the current discussion. It took him about 45 seconds, when you subtract a few for stumbling and pausing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...dcrafter&hl=en

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #34 of 44 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 2:48 pm

Phantom Trial, Take 2

I did go to BMW Columbus this morning to try the Phantom on again. I took the liner out and set it aside, knowing I probably wouldn't ever wear the suit with it if I owned it (just too much to hassle with, IMO). At 6'1" and 240#, the 2XL fits me, leaving room for fleece, Gerbing, etc.; the 3XL is too large.

My second trial confirms that I don't think this suit is for me. To paraphrase my friend Joe: "You need to confirm whether or not you are a one-piece riding suit kind of guy." I think he's right, and I may not be.

For my build, this suit doesn't seem proportioned right. Specifically, when I sit down in the suit -- approximating the upright riding style of the LT -- the fabric from seat to shoulders is pulled tight; this makes raising my arms (and keeping them raised, like they'd be on the LT) a struggle. I was fighting the material, if you see what I mean. A couple of inches of fabric in the torso would fix this problem.

I'm planning the trip to Duluth to visit Aerostich I've been talking about for a year. I'm also going to find a pair of Olympia Ranger 2 pants to fit me, and I'll try those on. The AST jacket-Ranger 2 pants combination is the two-piece equivalent of the Phantom suit, it seems.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #35 of 44 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 7:03 pm
fas

Thumbs up Todd, thank you!

Quote:

Price - $449 vs. $787

Big wins for the RC:

Much more to follow.
Great feedback. Thanks much for the report. I'm shopping for a commuting suit now, looking at Rev'it and their new suit. European design, produced in China. Anxious to hear more from you and see some shots of it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #36 of 44 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 9:38 pm

Hey, Howard - when you go see Andy, ax him if he'll do a group purchase?!?!

Heck, I couldn't even afford that, butt I sure do like those Aerostitch suits.

BTW - I went with money in hand to buy a Fieldsheer one-piece at a IMS in Dallas one year. Really had the hots for one, and the price wuz awesome (less than 400 bones, IIRC), butt at the booth, while trying to put the thang on, I became the entertainment factor for about 10 minutes; pioneered a new dance craze; and lost 4 pounds! Wuz really disappointed, butt prolly a lot of my own fault, cuz I wuz in hopes it would replace or match a 'Stitch. Not so - for me at least.

Good luck at the 'factory' Howard.

Quote:
I did go to BMW Columbus this morning to try the Phantom on again. I took the liner out and set it aside, knowing I probably wouldn't ever wear the suit with it if I owned it (just too much to hassle with, IMO). At 6'1" and 240#, the 2XL fits me, leaving room for fleece, Gerbing, etc.; the 3XL is too large.

My second trial confirms that I don't think this suit is for me. To paraphrase my friend Joe: "You need to confirm whether or not you are a one-piece riding suit kind of guy." I think he's right, and I may not be.

For my build, this suit doesn't seem proportioned right. Specifically, when I sit down in the suit -- approximating the upright riding style of the LT -- the fabric from seat to shoulders is pulled tight; this makes raising my arms (and keeping them raised, like they'd be on the LT) a struggle. I was fighting the material, if you see what I mean. A couple of inches of fabric in the torso would fix this problem.

I'm planning the trip to Duluth to visit Aerostich I've been talking about for a year. I'm also going to find a pair of Olympia Ranger 2 pants to fit me, and I'll try those on. The AST jacket-Ranger 2 pants combination is the two-piece equivalent of the Phantom suit, it seems.
post #37 of 44 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
...BTW - I went with money in hand to buy a Fieldsheer one-piece at a IMS in Dallas one year. Really had the hots for one, and the price wuz awesome (less than 400 bones, IIRC), butt at the booth, while trying to put the thang on, I became the entertainment factor for about 10 minutes; pioneered a new dance craze; and lost 4 pounds! ...
So, you were watching me try the Phantom on, eh? Sounds like similar circumstances.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #38 of 44 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 3:57 pm
fas

Thumbs up well done Todd

Quote:

Now some details:

Price - $449 vs. $787

Neutral Items:

Big wins for the RC:

Much more to follow.
Great job with your review. Thank you. Looking forward to additional comments. Photos too. I'm thinking about the hi-viz yellow.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #39 of 44 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Photos galore in the ADVrider thread mentioned above.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #40 of 44 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:38 pm
Super Moderator

Cool Not Suitable

Was at Columbus BMW today and tried on Olympia full suits both the XL and 2XL both with liners

Conclusions: too many zippers, too busy, takes two people to suit up, too form fitting (tight) and not loose in the right places, never could get it to fit just right from standing, walking and sitting.

I believe riding behind the protection of an LT the Aerostitch will do just fine thus I will be traveling to Aerostitch this spring - did you know that if you visit the facility, in Duluth, they take 10% off. Corresponded with Andy Goldfine (owner / manager) and he confirmed . . . no where in advertising - they just to it!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #41 of 44 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You won't be disappointed in a Roadcrafter (it's an outstanding suit) but you will get wet in it. It leaked on my LT worse than on any other bike.

FWIW, the Phantom gets way easier to live with after a bit of practice. If you've had a 1 Pc RC, you have to unlearn a few things about getting into and out of a suit. I can now don the Phantom in 30 seconds without my boots on and 60 seconds with. That's a small price to pay vs. the RC to stay dry.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #42 of 44 Old Mar 12th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Was at Columbus BMW today and tried on Olympia full suits both the XL and 2XL both with liners

Conclusions: too many zippers, too busy, takes two people to suit up, too form fitting (tight) and not loose in the right places, never could get it to fit just right from standing, walking and sitting.

I believe riding behind the protection of an LT the Aerostitch will do just fine thus I will be traveling to Aerostitch this spring - did you know that if you visit the facility, in Duluth, they take 10% off. Corresponded with Andy Goldfine (owner / manager) and he confirmed . . . no where in advertising - they just to it!!
Dan, wish I knew you were going to be there; I would have stopped by to meet you.

I'm still thinking of a trip to Duluth, although I'm also thinking of trying it via mail order. They have lots of experience in getting a good fit without seeing the customer in person.

Did you try the Olympia suit without the liner? It's much easier, and probably the way you'd wear it most of the year.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #43 of 44 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 9:49 am

Garage
Olympia Products

Don't know about the "new suit" but I have the Ranger 2 pants and love them. They are an excellent product. Best pair of riding pants I have found and I've tried several!!!

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #44 of 44 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I can now verify that the suit is waterproof. It finally rained here.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in