New Shoei flip front helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

New Shoei flip front helmet

For those of us that have had a difficult time getting a flip front helmet to fit our heads, Shoei has a new one. I tried on the new Multitech today at BMW of Atlanta. I have found a helmet that fits like my Shoei X-11, is lighter and has a flip front to boot. You can read about it here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:22 pm

Now we just need to find someone that will make us a killer deal on them. I'd be up for one. Best price I have seen so far is $415 on eBay.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 18 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

I've personally been having trouble deciding between these two helmets. The Multitec and the X11 both fit very well, but does'nt the X11 vent much better for summer riding? I'm not sure why I'de use the flip-up on the Multitec except maybey talking at stops(dont drink,eat,or smoke w/helmet on), and will probally use a hydration blatter in tank bag for water. Noisde may not be a problem cause I always wear ear plugs. Since you've used both; can you give me a review of the two.
Please reply; Thanks; Howie...

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 4:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
I'm not sure why I'de use the flip-up on the Multitec except maybey talking at stops(dont drink,eat,or smoke w/helmet on), and will probally use a hydration blatter in tank bag for water. Noisde may not be a problem cause I always wear ear plugs.
A flip-up helmet is kinda like a GPS. Once you have one, you wonder why you waited so long to get one.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 6:45 am Thread Starter

I didn't say I used both, I just said I tried one on and finally found one that fit like my X-Eleven. Sorry I can't give you a review at this point in time. As for the first year I had my X-Eleven, it was hot. Since then I've work and UnderArmor fabric skull cap and it hasn't been an issue.

And Tony, I've personally never seen a group purchase on anything but motorcycle parts.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #6 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
And Tony, I've personally never seen a group purchase on anything but motorcycle parts.
You don't remember the Kermit Chair group purchase I threw together? Over 40 units...
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
For those of us that have had a difficult time getting a flip front helmet to fit our heads, Shoei has a new one. I tried on the new Multitech today at BMW of Atlanta. I have found a helmet that fits like my Shoei X-11, is lighter and has a flip front to boot. You can read about it here.
That is a great helmet, I almost bought one myself, the fit was fantastic then again the Schuberth fit like it does. so i took the schuberth because of the way the faceshield moves away from the helmet stopping any fogging

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
I've personally been having trouble deciding between these two helmets. The Multitec and the X11 both fit very well, but does'nt the X11 vent much better for summer riding? I'm not sure why I'de use
Please reply; Thanks; Howie...
it is supposed to, but IMHO the Schuberth vents much better than the x-11 try a schuberth along with the new Shoi flip up the C-2 fits a little differrently than the concepts, plus the schuberth faceshield moves away from the helmet just a tad keeping it from fogging up yet still keeping the rain out

plus i really like the flip down sun visor <g>

Tom

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 7:47 am

I have one. It is a little more oval shaped than my Shoei Syncrotec. I had to do a little surgery on my Syncrotec at the front and back of the helmet to keep from getting a headache after wearing it for more that 30 minutes. I haven't needed to do anything to the Multitec as it feels good right out of the box.

It is defitinately better suited to egg heads.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Ain't that parts?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Putting my words in.. I found the Schuberth to both fit perfect (XXXL) and vent well. What I really find in all of these Nolan. Shoei, Schuberth, and more is that each fits a bit different and the one you want is the one that FITS!! I do love the pop open lens and flip down shades on my Schuberth.. But it FITS!!! and as Joe said.. once you go there.. no turning back.. last year was in the GA hills with jackd and Steve_R and we all stopped for a sec.. Jack and I flipped up .. grabbed a bottle of water, drank... flipped down and were on the way... while Steve was getting his helmet off :<) Honestly even for a second to discuss the next stop at a light and endless other reasons.. the flip up pays for it'self in spades.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Putting my words in.. I found the Schuberth to both fit perfect (XXXL) and vent well. What I really find in all of these Nolan. Shoei, Schuberth, and more is that each fits a bit different and the one you want is the one that FITS!! I do love the pop open lens and flip down shades on my Schuberth.. But it FITS!!! and as Joe said.. once you go there.. no turning back.. last year was in the GA hills with jackd and Steve_R and we all stopped for a sec.. Jack and I flipped up .. grabbed a bottle of water, drank... flipped down and were on the way... while Steve was getting his helmet off :<) Honestly even for a second to discuss the next stop at a light and endless other reasons.. the flip up pays for it'self in spades.

Then there is also added safety of a full coverage helmet that is not a flip up.

Shoie is probably your best out there for safety dual density foams in it broaden the impact speed safety zone

your right though fit is first concern for comfort and safety

Tom

post #13 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm

I say any helmet that one can find that's a full-face or modular full-face that fits great, allowing the rider to wear it all day, day after day, is a "good helmet".

I'll be amazed the day I let go of my Nolan N100e. I'm on my second one, and I love them. But that doesn't mean it's gonna feel the same on anyone else reading this post.
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:31 pm

my two cents...

The multitec has something most modulars don't...eps padding in the chin bar...

Bought mine, wore it for a 7 hour ride last week in temps that ranged from 32 degrees to 55, vents nicely (not as well as my X-11, but better than the RF-1000 shoei I had), and because of the extra seals, it's like the old Maxwell Smart "Cone of Silence" in comparison to the X-11!!! (two hours with that puppy and my ears used to ring, that's how noisy they are, but yes, they vent like no other)

I'll keep an eye on this thread, if enough people express interest, I'll contact the place I got mine from ($380 including shipping) and find out if they'd be interested in a group purchase.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
The multitec has something most modulars don't...eps padding in the chin bar...

I'll keep an eye on this thread, if enough people express interest, I'll contact the place I got mine from ($380 including shipping) and find out if they'd be interested in a group purchase.
Consider my interest expressed. Hopefully I can find someone with an XXL to try on before committing $$$, unless they have a return policy.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 18 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:33 am

I would be interested in a couple. But like Tony said, I am concerned about buying helmets without first trying them on. I don't won't to go to a dealership and try on their helmets knowing I am not going to buy from them. A return policy would sure make me feel better.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Ride on over to BMW of Atlanta and try one on. They will let you wear it around the shop for an hour or two. Tell them I sent you.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Last week I purchased the new Shoei Multitec. The glacier on my driveway
receded enough to ride this weekend, first time in 18 days. That's a long
lay off for me!
The Multitec has a very high build quality. Fit and finish are as good as
anything out there. The shield has no distortions. The Multitec is the
quietist modular helmet I have ever owned. Note that I use ear plugs with
all my helmets at highway speeds. I did notice a very slight hum during
head checks at city street speeds but not a highway speeds or in cross
winds. Some kind of aerodynamic fluke. The shield's fit to the helmet is
adjustable. I will tweak it a little if it persists.
The XL fits my head perfectly right out of the box. After an hour no hot
spots. Does not press against my nose or chin. I wanted to buy a Schuberth
C2 or Concept but could not find one that fit me.
Too cold to test the top vent, freezing, but cold enough to test the
front vent. Open, it will keep the shield from fogging. The removable chin
curtain keeps most of the cold air out of the helmet.
I don't wear glasses but I do wear sunglasses, Oakley wires. Putting on
the helmet while wearing my sunglasses knocks them off but they stay put
when I remove the helmet. I might not have the installation procedure
perfected yet.
Closing and opening is smooth and positive.
So far I am very pleased with my Multitec. A local dealer made me a
better deal on it that if I had purchased online! I used to wear a
Syncrotec. I wore it out several years ago and have been waiting for Shoei
to build a upgraded model.
I rate the Multitec an A.

Other helmets I am using or have used in the last few years:

HJC AC-12 Carbon, only full face I have used in twenty years. Very light,
high quality, not as quiet as the Multitec. Shield not as high quality as
Shoei. Love the boy-racer look. Excellent value for the price, again I got a
good local price! A-

HJC Sy-Max, good helmet for the money. Shield whistles and would open on
it's own in a strong cross wind. HJC replaced the helmet, very good customer
relations! Leaks water in rain. No chin curtain. I have recommended this
helmet to may of my friends! B

Nolan X-1002 X-Lite. Not light , heavy. Big disappointment, External sun
shield lousy idea; dirt and bugs get between the clear and dark shield and
cause scratches. C

Nolan N-100. Very noisy and leaks wind and water. Cold in winter. C

HJC CL-Max. Poor fit. Never could break it in. It was starting to give me
TMJ! Noisy. Latch was stiff. D

Caberg Justissimo. Decent fit except it touches my chin. Wonderful built in
sun visor. Leaks water in rain. First anti-fog shield was unusable in rain,
some kind of defect. Replacement shield does a better job. B

Schuberth. Best feature was it's built in sun visor. It took a long, long
time to break in. Hot in summer, great in winter. Shield rattled. Shields
kind of flimsy. B

BMW System 1, 2, & 3. Good helmets in their time. Poor shield fit on some of
them. B

Norris Cooper Wichita Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in