short vs. tall riding boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

short vs. tall riding boots

I tried on several riding boots after switching from a cruiser to a sport tourer, but havn't riden in any real quality boot except for a pair of H+H leather boots for years, but I know they're weren't for sport touring. I purchased a pair of Diadora Express hiking style boots. waterproof and very comfortable, but they're of the shorter design. I've noticed most are of the taller type boot, and wanted to know if they're an advantage over the shorter boot I've purchased. I might still be able to exchange them.

Thanks
Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 8:17 pm

If your serious about riding, taller boots will be a better buy in the long run. IMHO, you really want motorcycle type 'padded' ankle coverage. There is no substitute for good equipment when it is needed. Grind away an ankle and you have a big problem.

I recommend getting a good fitting taller 'real' M/C boot that have a Gore-Tex or similar material for a liner. In the summer shorter over the ankle boots are nice for short runs and walking around (say at work) but as soon as the weather turns ugly and cold you will appreciate the extra coverage. The LT really has good heat management so taller boots in hot weather are not as big a problem as you would imagine.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 8:17 pm

It's personal choice

Howie,
IMO if the boots have reinforcement all the way around and good quality thick leather, it's a matter of comfort. Fortunately, I can wear either short or tall. I currently wear these tall Marathon Steel boots (scroll down a bit here: http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html). If you mail order Vendramini boots, follow their instructions to trace and measure your feet. I normally wear US 12-1/2, 11 was the right size on this pair (a first).
O.K. that link might work: you can menu through this http://www.bikerworldusa.com/

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
... I purchased a pair of Diadora Express hiking style boots. waterproof and very comfortable, but they're of the shorter design..
A long time ago I broke my ankle in a slow speed lowside get off wearing a pair of ankle high hiking boots. I think that if I had been wearing a decent pair of motorcycle boots I would have walked away. YMMV

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 8:31 am Thread Starter

After much research and trying on many pairs of street riding boots, I've seem to got it down to 2 pairs of boots favoring the former choice. !st would be the Sidi WEY Tepor, and the Oxford Gortex Matrix boots. Both breathable and waterproof. I'm primarily looking for a summer boot. Af any have experience w/ these street riding boots or have chose another, and why; Please reply., and yea; I'll have to try on a pair or the New On road Symatex or the typhoon Gortex waterproof boots also. To some ; it sounds like a winner, but they seem they'de be hot in summer riding compared to the more breathable Way Tepor street boot. Howie...
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
I tried on several riding boots after switching from a cruiser to a sport tourer, but havn't riden in any real quality boot except for a pair of H+H leather boots for years, but I know they're weren't for sport touring. I purchased a pair of Diadora Express hiking style boots. waterproof and very comfortable, but they're of the shorter design. I've noticed most are of the taller type boot, and wanted to know if they're an advantage over the shorter boot I've purchased. I might still be able to exchange them.

Thanks
Howie...
I have a pair of Diadora Express boots that I wear in the summer with my mesh gear. These waterproof, over-the-ankle short boots are well built and very comfortable to wear; riding or walking. They are a lot cooler in hot weather than tall boots. One drawback to short boots is that your riding pants or rain pants can ride-up over the top of the boot when you're riding. I always buy riding/rain pants that fit me, length wise, when I'm sitting on my bike in the riding position. That way I don't have to keep repositioning the pant leg when they keep riding-up over the top of my boots. Pants that are the right length while you're standing can even ride-up over tall boots as you move and reposition while riding.
My main riding boots are tall, Oxford Goretex and I prefer these except in the hottest weather. It's great to have both but if I can only take one pair when I'm touring, I choose the tall pair.

Bruce Hodges
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Ted

Hi Howard -

I have the Sidi GT Sympatex Boot, purchased 6/2003 - they don't make 'em anymore, but they look like a cross between the Sidi Typhoon Gortex and the Sidi Thunder Sympatex boot.

When I bought them, I had the same concern - that they'd be too hot - but, that is not the case at all. They breath, and my feet have always remained comfortable. You can wear these all day long. The soles are quite grippy, too.

If I were buying today I'd go for the Typhoons.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Re: short vs. tall riding boots

I too wear the Diadora Express short boot. Love'em while walking or riding. With the shorter boot be aware of the length of your rain gear pants. My previous rain pant leg was just above my boot and it funneled the water in. Longer rain gear, very happy.

Mr Rick
"12" R12RT
"02" LT-C "Titan Silver"
"74" R90/6 "Black"
"86" Suzuki Calvacade 1400 (sold)
"73" Kawasaki 900 Z1A (sold)
"76" Kawasaki kz 750 (sold)
"69" Honda CB 350 (sold)
"66" Honda 305 Scrambler (unknown)
Gillette, N.J. (Exit 40)

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Smile Re: short vs. tall riding boots

I've had it with motorcycle specific boots, mostly high price crap.

I went with Irish Setter #855 for cold/wet weather. Very nice good looking boot.

And some USPS mailman low boots for warmer weather.

They both come in any size and WIDTH you may need
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:06 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I have and am very pleased with the Daytona Roadstar.
Great boots and great coverage and protection.
They are a little pricey but I think worth it.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I have a pair of Frey Daytona's and the Diadora city boots. If I'm riding to work in the summer I wear the shorter boots. If I'm on a long ride or trip I go with as much coverage as I can. If you like the fit of the Diadora try one of their taller boots. In any case spend a little extra money and get something with excellent ankle protection and a good fit. I look at it like helmets and if you've ever had foot problems (four surgeries) you know how important your feet are.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsaz
I have a pair of Frey Daytona's and the Diadora city boots. If I'm riding to work in the summer I wear the shorter boots. If I'm on a long ride or trip I go with as much coverage as I can. If you like the fit of the Diadora try one of their taller boots. In any case spend a little extra money and get something with excellent ankle protection and a good fit. I look at it like helmets and if you've ever had foot problems (four surgeries) you know how important your feet are.
I agree, but some of us with VERY WIDE feet (13 EEEE) can not find mc specific boots that fit. I have been very lucky to find Red Wings that are wide enough; I usually go with a tall boot that will offer more protection than a short boot.

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in