How About Hunting Gear? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:50 am Thread Starter

How About Hunting Gear?

I receive the full gamut of hunting/fishing gear catalogs, to include Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. Being a somewhat new rider (2003) it seems like the riding gear as important to the typical BMW rider as the cycle itself. Without going into the pros/cons of ATGATT, but for example, just looking at boots, seems like these catalogs advertise a lot of 'waterproof', 'snakeproof', etc. boots that look pretty darn good for riding boots; e.g. ADVENTURE riding, TOURING, and SPORT-TOURING.

Anyone using the hunting/fishing catalogs for their riding gear? If so, what?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I receive the full gamut of hunting/fishing gear catalogs, to include Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. Being a somewhat new rider (2003) it seems like the riding gear as important to the typical BMW rider as the cycle itself. Without going into the pros/cons of ATGATT, but for example, just looking at boots, seems like these catalogs advertise a lot of 'waterproof', 'snakeproof', etc. boots that look pretty darn good for riding boots; e.g. ADVENTURE riding, TOURING, and SPORT-TOURING.

Yep
Boots
wool socks,
wool and goose down gear
Polar weight long underwear (Polypropalyne moves moisture away from skin)

I don't go in for the electric stuff (I have to be able to bet my life on my gear, 50 degrees when wet, is the same as 10 degrees with light weight gear, you start to lose body heat rapidly and hypothermia can begin in as little at 10 minutes. Wet wool still insulates! I'll go with what I know)
Light weight mesh lined shirts for hot weather, etc
Rock
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:06 am

Thumbs up me too

i've found that many of the same hand issues for hunters (control, warmth, breathing) apply to what i'm looking for when I ride so i do get some of my gloves at hunting stores. my fav pair are neoprene wth rubber in palms. they breathe, keep warm, and don't soak up water. they do have a jumping deer on the backhand and say "hot shots" instead of a BMW logo. they cost $7.

i also look closely at the camping and other survival stuff in thos catalogues.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:45 am

Thumbs up Low percent?

Quote:

Hi,
I might be in the low percent that is concerned about how I look on the bike. I bought it to ride and hopefully to be warm, comfortable and safe within reason.

I too use the gloves, long underware, head sock, etc I found in similar catalogs. I find them to be better quality and less expensive than what I find at the BMW dealer. I do a little shopping on Ebay as well. So what if the BMW Logo isn't there.

Oh, I did get a BMW T'shirt for Christmas, so I can strip down to the "T" if I want to impress someone. LOL

Just my .02 worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:08 pm

My wife and I used Frogg Toggs from Sportsmans Wharehouse for our water proof gear. It works great! Not a drop of water has soaked through yet. Another nice thing about them is they are sized to go over your gear. So if you wear large clothing you buy a set of large.

x2 2005 K1200LT, 1999 R1100S. All 3 sold. No bikes currently...
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Quote:
just looking at boots, seems like these catalogs advertise a lot of 'waterproof', 'snakeproof', etc. boots that look pretty darn good for riding boots; e.g. ADVENTURE riding, TOURING, and SPORT-TOURING.

I often do for inner items. Hunting and outdoor wear can be very useful. In some cases better. But a lot of outerwear isn't designed to stand up to falls and slides.

So I guess the answer is, it depends on what.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
I often do for inner items. Hunting and outdoor wear can be very useful. In some cases better. But a lot of outerwear isn't designed to stand up to falls and slides.

So I guess the answer is, it depends on what.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada

:
Hi Bruno,
I just got back from your website. Very impressive. I haven't seen it all but what I have is great.

Hey guys, click on his link for the Gerbing Cascade Extreme Jacket, then look around the rest of his site...you won't be disappointed.

Bruce Hodges
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Hi Bruno,
I just got back from your website. Very impressive. I haven't seen it all but what I have is great.
Thanks for the welcome, Bruce!

Bruno
Montreal, Canada

:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in