Thinking about getting warmer boots... Suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Thinking about getting warmer boots... Suggestions?

Greetings All,

Thinking about getting some warmer boots for cold weather riding. Not interested in electric socks... (got enough cords going on as it is!). Did a search of the forum and I 'may' try taping the lower vents closed to see if that really moves warm air across my toes... (That'd be nice). Just in case... any suggestions for warm boots for use only in cold weather? FWIW, I'm currently riding with BMW Tourlites. Great boots over all, just zero insulation. It's routinely in the lower 30's here in the central San Juaquin (sp?) valley. Thanks in advance for your time.

Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:01 am

San Joaquin

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:22 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bruce,

I lived in Hanford in the early 70's. I bought my first new bike there, a 74 Suzuki GT-750. I don't remember it being that cold but I never rode in that nasty tule fog either. I worked nights out at NAS.

I have used the little hand warmer packs thrown down in the toes of my boots with good success. They are less than a buck for a pair in bulk and do a great job of keeping your feet warm all day if you have the room for them. I have since gotten the full Gerbings (socks too).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCVBeck
Greetings All,

Thinking about getting some warmer boots for cold weather riding. Not interested in electric socks... (got enough cords going on as it is!). Did a search of the forum and I 'may' try taping the lower vents closed to see if that really moves warm air across my toes... (That'd be nice). Just in case... any suggestions for warm boots for use only in cold weather? FWIW, I'm currently riding with BMW Tourlites. Great boots over all, just zero insulation. It's routinely in the lower 30's here in the central San Juaquin (sp?) valley. Thanks in advance for your time.

Bruce
For lower temps 30's down to about 15 or shorter (less than an hour ) colder rides. I wear Irish Setter Elk Stalker. Colder than that I wear my 1600 gram Irish Setter Knee Boots. They are good to about -15 add Tinley rubber pull over to either one you can easily drop another 20 degrees.
Any winter trips I take (over nighters) I have all with me one set on, one set packed (The tinsley's are always on bike)
Sometimes I get myself into a place where if my gear fails, it may well cost me my life, so I go with things I can count on.
Rock
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks All.

Time to start shopping I guess.

Oh, by-the-way... thanks for the spelling assist!

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCVBeck
any suggestions for warm boots for use only in cold weather?
As a dedicated cold weather boot, I'd get a size big enough that allows me to do three things:
- Wear a thicker pair of socks (not too thick) over a light pair of wicking socks. Warm feet in cold weather have a lot to do with dry feet.
- I'd also make sure that my toe box is not too snug. Looser is better.You want air to act as insulation around your toes.
- I'd also investigate adding a warmer insole.

So you might be looking at boots that are a little bigger than regular, warm-season boots.

hth,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Gold Supporter

I have used these for three years and have gotten into some pretty chilly rides. They work great and my feet are always warm, plus they have a good gripping sole. Comfortable to walk in also.

http://herrington-catalog.stores.yahoo.net/ls648.html

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in