• 1 Post By TF1200RT
  • 1 Post By JStrube
  • 1 Post By S1000XRider
  • 1 Post By Lugar-John
  • 1 Post By sbosshart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 11:40 am Thread Starter

I can see clearly..not. Foggy Helmets

I am looking for the collective wisdom from this venerable group.

We are currently touring in Germany and we have had three full days of heavy persistent rain. Not seeing where you are going is not fun and dangerous.

I have a Shoei Neotec. My wife has a Shoei Multitec. Both have visor inserts. Both fog to the point that we cannot see clearly when it rains.

Neither visor can open a little (unlike my previous Arai) to permit more ventilation without letting in rain. We have to crack open the visors to their first point to clear the fogging. This allows rain to run down the inside of the visors from the top, thus compounding the problem. We now have droplets inside, droplets outside and also on the RT windshield. Dotty foggy limited vision!

I sent my helmet back to Shoei. They put sponge foam in the ventilation holes in the top of the helmet, tightened the adjusters to pull the visor closer to the helmet and said it was fine. “Riding will allow air in through the vents which will clear the fogging. “

It doesn’t. And of course when stopped the problem increases.

Is this just a Shoei problem ? (It is supposed to be a premium product). Are other helmets better or worse? Has anyone got any tips or tricks to get vision in the wet or do we just have to become fair weather riders??!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 1:22 pm

Re: I can see clearly..not. Foggy Helmets

I have this issue sometimes with my Shoei. I just lift the visor up and re-seat the pinlock (push it up a little). Stops the fogging.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

I suggest you try an aftermarket insert that actually seals the outer edges to the back of the face shield. I used to use Fog City with great results in my Shoei helmets.
https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/us/F...kaAnASEALw_wcB

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 8:21 pm

I have a new Neotec 2 that has this issue. I should not need the pinlock in warmer weather, but it fogs way worse than my Arai ever did. I am looking for a fix. I get the issue on my RT, and on my Ducati!
Shackleton likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2019, 2:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I suggest you try an aftermarket insert that actually seals the outer edges to the back of the face shield. I used to use Fog City with great results in my Shoei helmets.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/us/F...kaAnASEALw_wcB

Many thanks We both have and use Pinlock visor inserts but still have the problem. It fogs. We open to vent to see. Rain slides down inside over the inner visor and and the Pinlock and the problem increases again.......
post #6 of 10 Old May 24th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
Many thanks We both have and use Pinlock visor inserts but still have the problem. It fogs. We open to vent to see. Rain slides down inside over the inner visor and and the Pinlock and the problem increases again.......
If your pinlock is properly installed you shouldn't be getting any fog inside it. I suspect it is not sealing against the inside of your shield properly, allowing moisture to get between it and your face shield. You should be able to adjust the tension between your visor and the pinlock. I would start there.

One thing you might try to improve your visibility is RainX on both your visor and the windshield. With RainX on my visor all I have to do is move my head a bit to one side to catch a bit of the windstream; it takes the water right off.
kd_boston likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old May 24th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Garage

I had the Multitech, and I had that same issue. However, Shoei gave it a complete tune-up with one of their service vans, and it became almost a new helmet.

However a couple of years down the lane, the Pinlock insert was not fitting properly, so it needed adjusting regularly.

As I wanted D rings I switched to Arai. Bad move, no longer could I have the visor open a crack, the Pinlock fasteners cannot be adjusted, also the Pinlock drops and requires reseating. Premium product? Give me the Shoei, at least it fitted my head perfectly! I will be switching back when it is time to replace (or I feel I can justify it!)

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #8 of 10 Old May 24th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000XRider View Post
If your pinlock is properly installed you shouldn't be getting any fog inside it. I suspect it is not sealing against the inside of your shield properly, allowing moisture to get between it and your face shield. You should be able to adjust the tension between your visor and the pinlock. I would start there.

One thing you might try to improve your visibility is RainX on both your visor and the windshield. With RainX on my visor all I have to do is move my head a bit to one side to catch a bit of the windstream; it takes the water right off.
On the original face shield that cam with my C3Pro one of the pinlock posts was in the form of a cam, you turned the post to tighten the pinlock shield. When I replaced my C3Pro main visor with a Schuberth replacement the pinlock posts were NOT adjustable and there is a gap between the Pinlock shield and the main shield.

In my case I place the blame on the replacement MAIN Shield from Schuberth. Anyone know where I can get a main shield with adjustable pinlock posts?

Ski

2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
1981 BMW R100RT in Forest Green
Honda 550 Four
Suzuki 250
Honda 175
post #9 of 10 Old May 28th, 2019, 10:08 am

I apply some foam shaving cream inside my visors after cleaning them.
A little and wipe until it’s gone, don’t fog up a small travel can last a long time.
Try it on bathroom mirror and run hot water in sink no fogging..
mpears53 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:27 am

pinlock visors are the way to go!
Whiskey likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in