Hi Vis Gore Tex Jacket? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BB 1200RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Hi Vis Gore Tex Jacket?

Not holding out much hope for this, seems I've checked every available supplier and manufacturer's website on the planet by now...but maybe one of you has seen or bought what I'm looking for?

Trying to find a riding jacket with armor, Gore Tex exterior for no-hassle rain riding, in "full" hi vis, meaning, the entire jacket in hi vis color. Klim seems to make some excellent jackets, clearly Aerostich does as well. Neither offers one where the entire jacket is hi vis color. I realize I'm in the minority, most people don't want that. Styling is a concern for most folks. I'm more concerned with being SEEN.

Anyone have any ideas where to find such a product? Thanks to all for the help!
Scimitar likes this.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
2004 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 9:47 am

Garage
Re: Hi Vis Gore Tex Jacket?

Where did you get the idea Aerostitch doesn't come in all Hi-Viz? You can select a high vis jacket with hi-viz ballistics, follow link to see:

Roadcrafter Jacket

Personally, I stopped wearing Aerostitch products due to poor fit for my body type, they seem to fit most people pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 1200RT View Post
Not holding out much hope for this, seems I've checked every available supplier and manufacturer's website on the planet by now...but maybe one of you has seen or bought what I'm looking for?

Trying to find a riding jacket with armor, Gore Tex exterior for no-hassle rain riding, in "full" hi vis, meaning, the entire jacket in hi vis color. Klim seems to make some excellent jackets, clearly Aerostich does as well. Neither offers one where the entire jacket is hi vis color. I realize I'm in the minority, most people don't want that. Styling is a concern for most folks. I'm more concerned with being SEEN.

Anyone have any ideas where to find such a product? Thanks to all for the help!

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Where did you get the idea Aerostitch doesn't come in all Hi-Viz? You can select a high vis jacket with hi-viz ballistics, follow link to see:

Roadcrafter Jacket

Personally, I stopped wearing Aerostitch products due to poor fit for my body type, they seem to fit most people pretty well.
Hello there! I've heard that about the 'stich fit from others as well. Still may try them to see. The only other issue I have with Aerostich is, to me that's "yellow" rather than "hi vis". The hi vis I'm looking for is the kind that is so bright, it's almost painful to look at in the sunlight. Most often seen on rain gear. Maybe the yellow 'stich is enough to catch the eye of a cager, just trying to go as bright as possible for maximum effect.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
2004 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:27 pm

The Aerostich Darien jacket is nearly 100% yellow (as you note) except for the inside of the collar, the belt, pocket flaps, and a forearm pocket. The yellow is plenty bright. If you're looking for the greener hi-viz similar to most safety vests, Aerostich tried a similar greener color a decade ago, but found it faded quickly. To their credit, they recalled and replaced a lot of garnents. The current yellow may seem less aggressive but has proven more durable. I've had a yellow Darien for a year and a yellow messenger bag for about 10, and there is almost no perceptible fading on my messenger bag compared to the new Darien It does really show road grime though.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:42 am

I don't know about full Hi Vis but I love the stuff coming out of Olympia Motosports. They use the ultra-bright 3M Hi Vis but cover partial body and side. I think not only do they look decent but having a 'busy' design rather than straight all Hi Vis could have value. Here's a 3-season version I own and I have one of their 4-season all weather designs as well. I took the vented 3-season up into the west side of the Canadian Rockies last summer and did fine in the 30 minute downpour we had in Banff just putting the waterproof shell on the outside while it rained. For colder weather I would have taken the 4-season model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	243-301022_mj301z20front20flat.png
Views:	31
Size:	722.5 KB
ID:	149437  

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:04 am

Garage

I can't say I've done a scientific study but average sized people seem to fit Aerostitch products well, I'm very long in the torso but not (any more) a fattie. When I got a jacket that fit across my shoulders and was the right length I think I could have fit a slender woman inside the torso of the jacket with me. The neck opening was so big I couldn't get a seal without two turtlenecks and a scarf under the jacket. And that was when I wore a 18.5" neck in my dress shirts. That was when I weighed 280 - 300, these days I'm under 230 and the Aerostitch fit so poorly I tossed it. When I spoke to Aerostich their attitude was "we're right, you're weird". This in spite of a closet full of other riding and off bike clothes that fit fine.

As to what constitutes hi-vis, I guess that is up to the individual. Personally, I've always gone back to an article I read years ago about the motorcycle riding EMTs in London. Each bike had a two meter poll with a flashing red light on top at each end and a very loud (something like 120 dB) siren. The guy they interviewed said he'd been hit twice with his lights and siren on, both drivers said they didn't see or hear him. Based on that I've never been into loud pipes or clothes, I put my hopes in being 100% on top of the situation when I'm in traffic, but YMMV. Funny thing, when I ride my peddle bikes I tend toward hi-vis clothes, I guess I feel more vulnerable without the ability to zip out of a bad situation with the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 1200RT View Post
Hello there! I've heard that about the 'stich fit from others as well. Still may try them to see. The only other issue I have with Aerostich is, to me that's "yellow" rather than "hi vis". The hi vis I'm looking for is the kind that is so bright, it's almost painful to look at in the sunlight. Most often seen on rain gear. Maybe the yellow 'stich is enough to catch the eye of a cager, just trying to go as bright as possible for maximum effect.

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #7 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:47 am

Garage

First Gear makes Hi-Viz jackets that are more than 90% hi viz. Other than Aerostitch full suits I have not seen any piece that is 100% Hi-viz. They all have some contrasting color on them somewhere....
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

The one that NorlCP is showing will not cause visibility problems with your gps, if you hav one. I have a full hi viz jacket and it does make glare that it is hard to see the gps, unless it is a cloudy day.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am

Garage

BB1200RT

Check out the Olympia Richmond Hi Vis Jacket.... Looks awesome to me and good quality.

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/...-s-neon-yellow

https://olympiamotosports.com/sites/...?itok=l1FC-9_u

Mike Pearson
Ottawa, ON. Canada
2017 R1200RTW
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

My understanding is that you really want a contrast of colors to enhance visibility. Mono colored bike with rider and helmet are not a visible as each having a different color. I also question the real value in the hi viz. If they don’t see you without it, I wonder if they will see you with it on. You DO have loud pipes too don’t you? =-}

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 3:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
I also question the real value in the hi viz. If they don’t see you without it, I wonder if they will see you with it on.
That sentence is a little long for your epitaph. When we are more vulnerable in an accident, it doesn't matter about "should have seen me" etc, we are the ones being taken away in a box. Do everything you can to be noticed, you know how blind some drivers are so it needs more, rather than fewer visibility aids.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 10:43 am

Yes, I ride as though I am invisible and am responsible for my own safety.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in