REVIEW OF OXFORD BONE-DRY HANDLEBAR MUFFS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Dec 8th, 2018, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

REVIEW OF OXFORD BONE-DRY HANDLEBAR MUFFS

Hello all. Just wanted to post a review of a product I recently received, the Oxford Bone-Dry Handlebar Muffs.
The product claims to be rainproof, and to greatly reduce wind to your hands, allowing for thinner, non-rainproof gloves, even in colder weather.

I have the BMW Pro-Winter Goretex gloves and like them a lot, but as with most any winter glove, they are a bit bulkier than ideal. This prompted me to at least try the Oxford product with thinner gloves.

If any of you have the considered these muffs, I would recommend them. After riding an unfaired bike, the r1200r, at 60mph in a 35 degree F rain, my summer leather gloves stayed completely dry, and the heated grips can be felt very well. They also have a pocket on the top side, which would rest close to your "exposed side" of your hand, for a "warmer pouch" like Hot Hands, etc. I have not tried this feature but from the way it is positioned, I can only assume it would function pretty well.

For long highway trips in colder temps such as 35 degrees F or below, I would probably use a medium weight glove rather than the summer one I tried.
These things definitely make a huge difference in reducing wind, and they really do keep the rain off your gloves.
They took a short bit to get used to, as you cannot see your controls through the muffs, but if you've been riding the bike you're on for a while, you're probably using rote memory for their location. They do not push into the brake or clutch levers at speed on my bike, despite some claims to the contrary. YRMV.

They do make the "biker wave" a bit more of an ordeal, lol. Removing your hand from the sleeve and reinserting it while riding is not natural at first, but it is possible to get used to with a bit of careful practice.
I was skeptical about the "hand removal - reinsertion" thing being a safety issue, but short of wiping my visor in the rain, or cracking the visor open occasionally, there haven't been many occasions I've needed to do this, and it wasn't terribly hard. I would recommend "bending" the hand opening portion a bit taller top-to-bottom to make this easier. The width is more than adequate.

I haven't tried dragging knee with these on the bike, but to be accurate, I'm not much of a Street Rossi anyway. Spirited riding with changing body positions has not been an issue with these installed.

Installation & removal are very easy, approx 2 minutes on or off. They're lightweight and would pack fairly well - you can stuff things inside them if needed to save space. I'll take a pic of them on the bike later and post as well. Hope it helps.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
2004 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)

Last edited by BB 1200RT; Dec 8th, 2018 at 2:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in