Questions for Aerostich Owners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Question Questions for Aerostich Owners

Background & Assumptions
My local BMW dealer told me yesterday that a Rev-It rep stopped at their store recently with a prototype of the new Rev-It one-piece riding suit that has been in the works for some time.

He said it will compete directly with the Aerostich one-piece Roadcrafter, has waterproof zippers, uses more modern materials, blah blah blah. Should retail for $1k. We all know the basic Roadcrafter's MSRP is $727, but with a few alterations can cost much more.

We discussed the Roadcrafter's "wet crotch" syndrome -- because of the zippers they use (non-waterproof), rain can get in as you ride; also, because it's a one-piece suit, rain can pool in your lap and soak through the zippers. I have never worn an Aerostich but I've heard this is a problem.

Aerostich is made in the USA; the Rev-It suit will be made in China.

My holy grail for riding apparel has been something that is rainproof, armored, quality-made, protects against road rash, and is FAST & CONVENIENT. Yesterday's trip around central Ohio (multiple stops, on and off the bike, in and out of m/c pants and jackets multiple times) drove home this requirement. I'm also looking for something that I can put on and take off quickly for the daily commute. I'm aware that Aerostich's claim that the Roadcrafter goes on in 20 seconds and off in 10 seconds is correct; others here have confirmed that.

OK: All of the above being laid out, my questions:
1. For you Roadcrafter owners: Is "wet crotch syndrome" a reality? Is it a problem? Does it happen only in heavy rain when you're standing still? If you had to do it over again, would you still go this route? Why or why not?

2. For you two-piece Roadcrafter or Darien owners: Is "wet crotch syndrome" solved by the two-piece design? Is it a problem with Dariens? Can a two-piece suit be put on as quickly as a one-piece? If you had to do it over again, would you still go this route? Why or why not?

Lots of questions for you. Appreciate your responses. We are considering driving to Duluth after Christmas to see this stuff in person.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:41 am

I have the 'stitch darien pants. Love 'em......but.
Yes, water seeps into zipper at crotch (at least on the darien)
also the new AD1 has a gusset in the crotch to relieve the former problem of "pinch" as well as promising to stop the leak..
These are Darien...not roadcrafter so................................................ .....
and as I said " I do love 'em."

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #3 of 25 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know about the Roadcrafter, but my Darien has never leaked or seeped in the crotch or anywhere else. Weather protection on the LT is certainly a factor, but I've been through some real rainy trips on my GS with its Givi 'Darth Vader' fairing. Although the suit and pants *look* soaking wet, I've stayed dry. The exception is from water going up my boots and getting my pant cuffs wet. Tucking the pants inside the boots cures that.

The pants can probably be put on in 10 to 20 seconds (step in one leg, step in other leg, pull up, zip up each leg, and zip up and snap the fly), but that takes long enough that I usually leave 'em on at any stop of less than a couple of hours.

If you buy in the store in Duluth, you can save 10%. They'll take your measurements and keep them on file regardless of whether you buy then or not.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 25 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Any thoughts on one-piece v. two-piece: Convenience? Why did you choose the two-piece Darien, and not the two-piece Roadcrafter?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 25 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 3:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I debated between the two styles and opted for the flexibility the two piece outfit offered. I can wear the pants with a mesh jacket, etc. Even wore the jacket when fishing for halibut in Alaska. The looser fit of the Darien jacket also gives me more room for layers if it's cold, or air flow when it's hot. The folks at Rider Wearhouse can help you pick a style to match your riding style.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 25 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 12:22 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Any thoughts on one-piece v. two-piece:

I've have both one and two piece Roadcrafters. The one piece does leak at the crotch, but only in extremely heavy, long lasting, downpours. The two piece is a lot more waterproof at the crotch in heavy rains.
Neither suit is completely waterproof over the long haul in inclement conditions.

I prefer the one piece for its simplicity and ease of use, but it is not as versatile when off the bike.
post #7 of 25 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Howard, my Darien jacket/pants combo has never leaked in the crotch. The only time I can recall water getting in was at STC-II when I left one of the jacket breast pockets completely unzipped.

I have never tried a one piece Roadcrafter but I understand that they are faster to don or doff than the two piece Roadcrafter or the Darien combo. The tradeoff may be the occasional crotch leak.

I am able to get in and out of my Darien pants pretty quickly if I am able to do it in socks. Takes longer if I want to keep my boots on during the entire operation.
post #8 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:06 am

I've got two 2-piece suits (different colors) and over 50,000 miles on the first one. Been in some heavy rains, hail, sand storms, etc. No problem with the two piece leaking. I've heard this is because of the overlap between the jacket and the pants. Whatever the reason, she's always kept me dry. I do treat her with Scotchgard though, so that might help some.

I went with the 2-piece first (and made the same decision the second time) for the flexibility. When zipped together, there's little different in the time it takes to put it on or remove, as it's all connected as one ... there's just two zippers instead of one long one. I like that I can unzip the jacket, and there's times when I'll just wear the jacket around town and not the pants. When I was buying my second suit (I expanded ... needed a larger size), I decided against going with the 1-piece in order to keep that flexibility.

I've heard from a couple people that the Aerostich was too "old school" and needed to be revamped with new technology and new ideas. I don't understand this ... it's lightweight, waterproof, has tons of pockets for storing things ... it's perfect for what I need, so why change it just for change sake? Both of mine optioned out for right at around $900. They're well made, being made in America is an extra perk. At the same price, I'd still pick the Stich over some Chinese made unproved gear.

Just my $0.03 worth.
post #9 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:30 am

Howard- I had a one piece - loved and hated it.

The good: its a nice piece of gear, solid contruction for crash protection, plenty of pockets, nice air vents. My crotch never leaked. Water does pool but all you have to do is stand up and the water rolls off your seat. Its eazy to put on and take off. Has excellent reflective panels and some interesting pannels you can add to your suit.

The bad: in hot weather you will roost. Some guys have tried the Ice chips in the pockets, etc... its a pain in the heat. When it gets hot I reach for the BMW Venting Machine. I also had a tought time stuffing it into my RTs side bags. Not sure if its a problem on the LT - a two piece would fit better. Rain protection is not better than a dedicated rain suit. I like the fact that most rain jackets have a hood so rain that might get in thru your helmet doesnt run down your back and rain gear cinches better around your neck so rain cant get in that way either. In cold weather, you have to run your electrical cords thru an opening in your suit - which also lets in cold air and water (another advantage for a two piece). If you wear the one-piece to work, expect your business cloths to look like you never ironed them.

The heat and rain sealed it's fate for me. As much of a pain it is to put on and take off the rain gear - how much do you ride in the rain? With the one piece you pretty much have to take it off everytime you get off the bike and want to go somewhere. Its not something you want to wear into a resturant or grocery store... With a two peice, you can take off the pants and look normal as you walk around.

Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #10 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:57 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
I also had a tought time stuffing it into my RTs side bags. Not sure if its a problem on the LT
If you fold the 1-piece in half lengthwise, then roll it up like a sleeping bag it will fit in 1/2 of an empty LT topcase - room to put your helmet in the other 1/2.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Talking 2 piece for me !

Howard

Two-piece Darien was my choice

Never had the pants of the coat leak anywhere...
it gets so wet you would think I was soaked but no the liner really works.
thats why i didn't mind the price.

Ever worn a pair of a$$less chaps and had to ride in the rain for any miles at all?
talk about a wet crotch !!!!!!!
and they get really heavy when they are wet.

The 2 piece lets you use only the coat or the pants with another coat (ie) an old leather jacket you just can't let go of.

When you are in the desert you can put a bunch of ice in the two front pockets of the coat and you have air condition..mmmm ( don't ask me how i know this but my brother-in-law stopped laughing at me for wearing the coat after that)

That's my 2 cents well worth the price and the 2 pieces IMHO

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #12 of 25 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 6:53 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
Howard

When you are in the desert you can put a bunch of ice in the two front pockets of the coat and you have air condition..mmmm

That's my 2 cents well worth the price and the 2 pieces IMHO
Very Cool !! Great Idea. I have used the mera cool vest I can see how this may increase the prolonged cooling effects.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #13 of 25 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 12:07 pm

I've had the one-piece for 6 years, and haven't noticed seep-through in the crotch area. I agree with jsciullo that it's hot in the summer, which is when I do most of my touring with my son. As a result, I've hauled it more than I've worn it. In it's place, he and I wear the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh armored jacket and Arborwear armored pants (from Aerostitch), and when it rains, we put on our Joe Rocket waterproof liners under the jacket. Behind the K's big fairing, we don't get too wet as long as we don't have to stop. That said, if it looked like non-stop rain, or into the night, I'd stop, pull on the Roadcrafter, and suck it up. I do so like the ease of use with the one-piece, and I don't think too much about what I look like once I pull it off and clump into the restaurant wearing my tee-shirt, shorts, and Combat Touring Boots.

-----------------
R Ross
Loveland, CO

'03 K1200LTE "Annika"
'05 GSX1300-R "Isis"
'90 XT600 "Jenny"
'88 XLH1200 "Selene"
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Perfect pants!

After many years of looking, I finally fount the perfect pants and they are made in the USA (California is still part of the US, right?) They are the Cycleport stretch mesh Kevlar. 100% waterproof. Easy on, easy off. I wear them both over pants or shorts, or over Underamor Heat Gear in the Summer. They are cool in summer, warm in winter. Wayne will make them the way you want them in a couple of days. They have a removable waterproof, windproof liner that will take you down to 20 degrees. I've never used the liner as I live in Florida and we don't allow cold weather here! I've worn them in heat and rain and am still dry. They breath unbelievably and the stretch Kevlar allows for big meals. They have a stretch, high waist that keeps water out and the fly zipper runs diagonally from waist to right ankle for easy off and no leaking in the crotch. These are truely one of a kind. The only thing I would add is an extra smaller pocket on the leg for a cell phones or what ever. You won't regret these pants. I loved them so much I bought a jacket too!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 7:05 am

I have a ROADCRAFTER and several DARIEN combinations -- never a wet crotch in substantial rain with either -- then again - I'm always behind a fairing too. Hope this helps, BTSOOM
post #16 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:56 am

Re: Questions for Aerostich Owners

I have owned BMW motorcycles since 1978, though I have had an LT since May 2009, and am somewhat interested in the Aerostich forum. First of all, I will say that I have owned three one-piece Roadcrafters and simply love them. I live in Tennessee and ride year round. I retired from a Sheriff's office last year and yes, I was a motorcycle cop, also. Motorcycle officers in my area are not permitted to wear Aerostitch products, even though I strongly suggested it. We wore those little half helmets, short sleeve shirts in the summer, polyester riding pants, and knee high riding boots. The only safe garment that we wore was a heavy leather jacket that we used when it was colder than seventy degrees.

I have used the Roadcrafters for over twenty years on all kinds of bikes and through every kind of weather that God has produced. Water that will pool in the crotch area seemed to be a problem on my first suit, until I learned to make sure that the velcro on the zipper flap was actually fastened shut over my favorite area. Since then, I don't seem to leak anywhere that is covered by the Aerostitch. I will address boots, gloves, and helmets some other time.

The most important thing, though, is how protected you are when THE CRASH occurs. At the end of May, last year, I asked my wife to join me for a ride on my new, two day old K1200LT. Normally, I always ride wearing my Aerostitch, but that day we didn't. We wore jeans and some old Firstgear jackets that we had stored back. We were only going out for a short ride, but wound up riding down into Georgia to have lunch at TWO Campground in Suches. That BMW was so good that I became convinced that this was the very best BMW ride that we had ever been on. So, we took a leisurely round-a-bout trip home. In and out of curves, riding along mountain crests, through valleys and alongside rivers. . . We cleared out of the mountains and were riding over a two-lane highway towards home when we met another vehicle suddenly sliding sideways across the road in front of us. My speedometer showed us going 60 (car operator behind us indicated we were at 55), and even though I swerved, I didn't swerve quite enough to avoid being hit head-on by the sliding car. I did notice that the young female operator of the car was holding her cell phone in front of her looking at the screen. Her vehicle hit us, and then it hit the car behind us.

My wife's leg was pinched between the car and the left side of my LT before we tumbled, rolling on the hot asphalt. I rolled into a guard rail and she had to crawl to the side of the road because her leg was badly crushed, and both of us horribly injured because neither one of us was wearing our Aerostich suts. The operator of the car behind us stated that he thought that we were going to clear the wreck, but because we didn't, we caused the collision to veer off enough just enough to keep the collision vehicle from a full head-on collision with their vehicle, saving the lives of he and his wife. Three vehicles were totaled, two cars and my brand new LT.

My wife almost lost her leg. My knees and elbows were ripped open to the bones, and one knee was totally replaced. We still haven't got anything from her insurance company, and if we don't find out something soon, I will find the dirtiest cut-throat accident lawyer to proceed with out case.

I have been riding motorcycles for forty-five years and have had my share of bumps and grinds, but at age sixty, I know that I just can't heal up as fast I could when I was still a Marine. So, even when its stickly hot here in the south, I know that I can open the vents on the Aerostitch enough to keep me cool enough all summer long. I will probably ride as long as I am able, but I will not forget to always wear the stitch when riding.
post #17 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Jerry,
Extremely pleased to see that both yourself and your wife have, it seems miraculously, survived to tell the tale.
I hope your injuries are getting better by the day.
Do you think that riding the LT was a safety factor as well ?.

Last edited by simoncharles; Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:51 pm.
post #18 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing...hope you both are on the mend.

And...by the way...thanks for the reminder...ATGATT!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #19 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I believe that we were saved by how the LT seems to wrap around the operator and pillion. We stayed on the bike until after the car continued on towards the second vehicle. The LT appeared to have weathered the storm pretty well. Some cracked tupperware and absence of the front wheel and fork seemed to be the only thing that I noticed. Had we been wearing our Roadcrafters we may have both walked away without a scratch. Thank you for asking.

By the way, the girl who created the collision admitted to the Trooper that she had been text messaging on her phone when the accident occurred. He reminded her that it is against the law in the State of Georgia to use a cell phone while driving. She said she wasn't, because she was "text messaging."

She was handcuffed in the back seat of his Patrol Car when he came to visit my wife and I in the hospital.
post #20 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Hope she is still there.
post #21 of 25 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm

I have recently been riding with a one piece Aerostich. What I like about it is that it is so easy to put on over regular clothes. I use it for commuting to work and it is really perfect for that. On cold mornings I may run a Gerbings under it with the wire coming out of the left pocket. Works fine. The size 42 fits me well and is very comfortable to ride in. No alterations needed.

Maybe it will work well in the rain -- I don't know as I haven't been rained on yet. On a long trip, not sure if I'd trust it to be watertight -- I think I'll just carry Frogg Toggs and not worry about it.

In cool weather riding with a sweatshirt underneath takes care of it. Today I rode in 80 degree weather with the underarm vents unzipped, the back vent open, and the front zipper pulled down to mid chest. Lots of air flow and I was comfortable. You can also snap the pant legs closed at the bottom and unzip each leg zipper to just under the knee to increase air flow. Aerostich recommends all of the above so I don't think it compromises safety much it at all. I also ride with a SaferMoto Hit Air vest as add'l protection.
post #22 of 25 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah

Maybe it will work well in the rain -- I don't know as I haven't been rained on yet. .
Tonopah,

It really depends on how hard it's raining and what kind of bike you are riding. I posted to this thread in 2006 , and have since invested in another Aerostich, one piece. I ride , year round, in Oregon...presently on a R1150R with no problems.
All day (600+ mile) rides in the rain are usually not a problem, unless it is a real frog strangler.
On the K1200LT the windshield (lower setting) seemed to direct water onto my torso and it would puddle at the crotch and leak. The R1150R does not do this so the crotch area does not leak.
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 12:56 pm
SEG

Over 100K on my Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece and I've got to replace it even though it's no longer my primary riding suit. It's starting to wear out. The one-piece was sent a few times over the years back to Riderwarehouse for some minor repairs and on 1-2 occasions for re-waterproofing. Now, I waterproof it myself. The crotch area would sometimes be damp after a very heavy rainstorm but on most occasions I was fine. I always made sure the suit was treated with some type of water proof spray each year. We each have our own comfort level with heat and humidity. I found the one-piece suit comfortable for anything below 75. If really cold, I used my Widder gear, yes I still use the Widder stuff. Above 75 I found the suit hot and in the summer when temps could be 90 plus and humid, I'd suffer in it. I've used the ice in the front pocket but it's a hassle always asking for two large soft drink cups worth of ice every few hours at a cafe. Besides, the cooling effect is not all that long when the humidity is over 80 percent. For years I used the suit for commuting; it's okay as long as you're wearing really hardy non-wrinkle clothing, otherwise you won't have that pressed look. You best be working with understanding folks who understand the trade-offs commuting on a motorcycle. I'm looking for another riding suit, maybe a two piece from BMW. I have a Hein Gericke two piece that is okay but has so many layers and zipper combinations, it seems that I'm always piecing together or unzipping something. I really enjoy the 10-20 seconds of getting into and out of a one piece Roadcrafter. Maybe I'll end up getting another Roadcrafter but only if I wait until one of my rides that will pass somewhere near Duluth, MN. I'd prefer them to measure otherwise I'm sure that I'd end up sending it back for fitting adjustments.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm

I have two 2-piece Darien suits - a regular and a Darien Light. I usually wear the DL suit because it's more comfortable. Never had any leakage in either one, even in major downpours. I chose the two-piece suits because of the flexibility; when stopping for lunch, I can take off the jacket but leave on the pants. I think the overlap of the jacket over the pants also probably contributes to dryness.

BTW, I also use the DL pants as my rain pants in summer when I'm wearing mesh jacket & pants. With the padding removed, they pack very small into the side case, and I just get them out any time we might have rain. I figure they not only provide a waterproof shell over my mesh pants, but in a crash, I'd have just that much additional abrasion protection.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 2:37 pm

I live in So. Cal. and it's actually raining pretty hard here right now. I have a week - 10 day M/C coming up on April 8 through southern UT, parts of Colorado and maybe Wyoming. I am fortunate to have both a one piece 'stich and a Transit suit by Aerostich. As I look outside and consider the cold and perhaps inclement weather on the M/C trip, I'm thinkin' maybe the Transit is the way to go. Warmer and waterproof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in